Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Aug 19, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Happy Birthday OP.
I’m so sorry you have been hurt and disappointed by your DD. Kids can be so totally thoughtless and I think it hurts terribly when you go all out for them in similar circumstances. You would like to think that some of your consideration for others would rub off on them.
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
gasp0de
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Happy Birthday, I do understand why you are disappointed, I've been with my DH well over 30 years and when it comes to my birthday or Christmas he looks round the house to see what needs replacing. I have received iron and ironing board, tea towels, saucepans, curtains, loo brush holder and spot lights for the kitchen. But at least he remembers and the thought is there 🙂 Perhaps your daughter was short of money or remembered at the last minute so was a rush buy, she did remember however xx
gasp0de is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
My mother once gave me a bag of cheap tealights for Christmas - and she wrapped them in the plastic wrapper from a pack of loo rolls. I would have welcomed the air freshener and chocolates that year.
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
g1970
Imagineer

g1970's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Do you use air fresheners around the house? Perhaps your DD thought it was something you liked rather than a necessity picked up with the weekly shopping.

Does your DD work? If her finances are tight, what would be an acceptable gift?

As already mentioned, think carefully about confronting her. I still recall how I felt when my mum told me my dad was very disappointed with a Bruce Springstein book I had bought when I was about 18 (the book was small and I was a student at the time). I felt awful, as I had spent a lot of time looking for something I thought he would like.

That was 31 years ago and recall how it made me feel like it was yesterday...but I could not tell you how he's reacted to any presents I've bought since (that have been requested).
g1970 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lola View Post
My mother once gave me a bag of cheap tealights for Christmas - and she wrapped them in the plastic wrapper from a pack of loo rolls. I would have welcomed the air freshener and chocolates that year.

Your face must have been a picture!
vowels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
pinman_uk
Having Dinner with Goofy

happy birthday

could it be a joke ,and a better gift is being kept secret ?

may be you have a surprize party and your family wants to put you off
Old 12 Aug 19, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
anna68
VIP Dibber

anna68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I’d be absolutely gutted if that was my gift. I am well aware I value thoughtful gifts and many don’t. But buying a gift for a birthday isn’t actually about the thing your buying imo and actually about showing you care. To show you care you have to actually think. At 21 I would expect more. May sound harsh but they may as well have just not bought you anything!
anna68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by gasp0de View Post
Happy Birthday, I do understand why you are disappointed, I've been with my DH well over 30 years and when it comes to my birthday or Christmas he looks round the house to see what needs replacing. I have received iron and ironing board, tea towels, saucepans, curtains, loo brush holder and spot lights for the kitchen. But at least he remembers and the thought is there 🙂 Perhaps your daughter was short of money or remembered at the last minute so was a rush buy, she did remember however xx
Made me laugh. Brilliant.

Never forget about 50 odd years ago my dad bought my mum a frying pan.😂

All I heard over Christmas was "it's this fancy no stick thing called Teflon!" 😂😂
salmim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by greekgranny View Post
Everybody is castigating the daughter for her gift, which does seem a little strange but until she is asked why she bought it is is unfair. She may have had a genuine reason for buying it, with no intention of hurt
I just cannot get on with that reasoning. Surely every single adult human knows you don't buy air freshener for anybody as a birthday present. What next? Bottle of washing up liquid? Dusters? Loo roll? You don't need to analyse the situation that much to know this is inappropriate.

She would have been better off just giving the chocolates.

Edited at 07:45 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

Originally Posted by salmim View Post
Made me laugh. Brilliant.

Never forget about 50 odd years ago my dad bought my mum a frying pan.😂

All I heard over Christmas was "it's this fancy no stick thing called Teflon!" 😂😂
That would be a great present for me! I love a new pan