Go Back   theDIBB > Walt Disney World and Other Florida Vacation Planning > Tickets
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Tickets Theme Park Ticket questions and advice
Attraction Tickets Direct
Unread 5 Sep 19, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Mobile

Op. I think they are getting too greedy. We are just back
And the prices for everything were huge. We watched the Walt Disney film show detailing the philosophy behind the parks ... and I fear this has been lost to one big money-making exercise
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
To the West coast...and beyond!
Unread 5 Sep 19, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Pinchy
Being a bit Goofy

WDW has always been and still is a cheap holiday. I do wonder if some of those who complain about prices ever try travelling elsewhere on the globe where it's really expensive.
Pinchy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 19, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pinchy View Post
WDW has always been and still is a cheap holiday. I do wonder if some of those who complain about prices ever try travelling elsewhere on the globe where it's really expensive.
Yes, our holiday to California and Hawaii was cheaper!
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
To the West coast...and beyond!
Unread 5 Sep 19, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
But it's not really a cheap holiday, is it? Nowhere near as cheap as, say, a week in Spain or a camping holiday in the UK. Yes, it's cheaper than various other places. No one said it was the most expensive holiday out there. But it's not what I'd call cheap.

Anyway, this thread was about how expensive Disney park tickets are, not how expensive the holiday is.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Anniversary trip to POFQ...
Unread 5 Sep 19, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Is this real?
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Our WDW Holiday.
Unread 5 Sep 19, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
salmim
slightly serious Dibber

salmim's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Just thought I'd post a few graphs that I've shown over the years showing the price changes. Here's one from around August/September 2016:

The 2017 Disney tickets had shot up in price to 419. The Universal tickets had also shot up.

The thing with that graph is that it just shows the prices at a specific point in time. At the very end of 2016, Disney had a 25% discount on it's 14-day tickets. Together with the usual "14-day for the price of 7" deal, the price of the 2017 ticket dropped to 300 by December 2016. Here's the graph from Feb 2017:

Surprisingly, at that point, the price of a 2017 ticket was the same as it had been for the 2015 ticket.

Once the 25% discount ended, the price increased somewhat again. Here's what the ticket prices were doing around April 2017:

And so on...

Disney ticket prices do fluctuate quite a bit over the course of the 22 months that they're on sale. Usually when the tickets first go on sale they are high. A couple of months later they add the "14 for 7" deal reducing the price by about 20. Then they remove the deal and prices go back up. Then in December they discount the tickets by around 50 (or by almost 120 as they did at the end of 2016). Then the price goes up again in March. Then the tickets reduce in price a bit towards the end of the year before the tickets are no longer on sale. There are also other fluctuations due to changes in exchange rate and Disney UK wanting to promote more sales (I suspect).

It can make a reasonable difference if you buy tickets at a different point in the cycle. It also makes it a pain to track ticket prices and determine what the price was in the past. However, on average, over the last 8 years tickets has risen by around 9% a year. Or thereabouts.
Wow very detailed ...with graphs..you are like my BIL who loves a spreadsheet and graph! 😁

It's really useful info thanks

I think we are pretty good at finding best prices for tickets and I echo what you say about timing it right.

Dollar to Sterling has made a big difference.

We also break down the 14 day into how many times we go to the parks, bobbing in and out, and it works out good value for us

Not cheap but good value
salmim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 19, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by salmim View Post
Wow very detailed ...with graphs..you are like my BIL who loves a spreadsheet and graph! 😁
I like graphs too. But not project management dashboard graphs. Ergh!

I used to take more interest in ticket prices, even keeping a record of the prices on different ticket websites, but I gave that up because it was too much effort. I still have a graph of how the 1-day ticket prices have changed over the years since WDW opened. I must have been bored the day I did that.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Anniversary trip to POFQ...
Unread 5 Sep 19, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
hilz22
Being a bit Goofy

I last did disney in 2013, shoot me lol but it wasnt really our thing. Back in 2013 we paid just over 2000 for disney, universal and discovery cove. Star wars is a huge thing in our lifes. So they boys are really wanting to go next year. I was astounded by the price, but then i remember 2013 will be 7 years ago by the time we go. (If we go)

'Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do' -just saying
hilz22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
little trip to Gran Canaria