Go Back   theDIBB > Walt Disney World and Other Florida Vacation Planning > Car Hire & Transportation
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.
Florida Tix
Unread 11 Sep 19, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Spud_work View Post
Has anyone here had any experience of doing this and is there anything I might be missing other than the Irish site doesn't have a pay now option and only a price for pay at the counter is available?

well brexit might have an impact on your rental there.

when you actually rent, Brexit will probably have happened, deal or no deal, and there is no way we can foresee what it will do the the sterling pound, and how economy will be affected

still you'll need to pay in USD, and you may realise that it costs you substantially more

what you may have missed here, is that the price in euros is just an indication based on today's exchange rate.
as it's a pay on arrival rental, you'll pay in USD and it will not cost what you see today in euros, it will cost what it says in Dollars, and that will translate into GBP on the day you pick up the car, whatever the USD->GBP exchange rate is at that time

bottomline, the price you see now in euros don't mean a thing. What matters is the price in USD (also shown on the site) and what it will really cost in GBP when you collect, maybe months from now, and post-brexit
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 19, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
well brexit might have an impact on your rental there.

when you actually rent, Brexit will probably have happened, deal or no deal, and there is no way we can foresee what it will do the the sterling pound, and how economy will be affected

still you'll need to pay in USD, and you may realise that it costs you substantially more

what you may have missed here, is that the price in euros is just an indication based on today's exchange rate.
as it's a pay on arrival rental, you'll pay in USD and it will not cost what you see today in euros, it will cost what it says in Dollars, and that will translate into GBP on the day you pick up the car, whatever the USD->GBP exchange rate is at that time

bottomline, the price you see now in euros don't mean a thing. What matters is the price in USD (also shown on the site) and what it will really cost in GBP when you collect, maybe months from now, and post-brexit
Avis.ie let you pay or to wait for payment on collection for a higher price so not sure why the OP doesn't see that option, you don't need to be a resident of RoI to hire from them and from looking at my dates they are cheaper than Avis.co.uk

If they are cheaper by comparison and better than you get elsewhere then there's nothing stopping someone booking, can simply pay your money into Revolut for example and complete the booking, job done.

Edited at 03:43 PM.
thatdavieguy is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Orlando Mystery Tour 2020
Unread 11 Sep 19, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by thatdavieguy View Post
an simply pay your money into Revolut for example and complete the booking, job done.
right,
the only issue might be if OP can only get that price in pay on arrival.
can you use the Revolut card to pay for the rental, and another card for the CC guarantee ?
I have very little experience with pay on arrival (always prepay) but I seem to recall that they put the amount of the rental on hold on the CC used for deposit, they will accept debit for payment only at the end of the rental, but revolut is prepaid, and cannot be used.

So I wonder if it's possible at all under those circumstances (pay on arrival) or if you're stuck with the use of a "real" CC
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 19, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
In all my years of hiring cars in the USA (no experience of Canada) I have never seen cheaper prices on any .ie website. In fact I phoned Hertz one year to complain about the price discrepancy between the .co.uk website and the .ie website.
The last few trips I have booked through autoeurope.co.uk as their GBP prices are way cheaper than the equivalent if using their .ie website.
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
CSR - May 2020
Unread 11 Sep 19, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Originally Posted by KevinCosmos View Post
Another potential reasoning could be that we drive on the opposite side of the road, so there is maybe more chance of us being in an accident?
I really hope that is joke
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
CSR - May 2020
Unread 11 Sep 19, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Joshie1 View Post
I really hope that is joke

to be fair, the British Commonwealth is home to a very strange bunch of drivers ...

in the UK, you drive on the wrong side of the road

in Australia, they drive upside down ...

strange indeed ...

Unread 11 Sep 19, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
to be fair, the British Commonwealth is home to a very strange bunch of drivers ...

in the UK, you drive on the wrong side of the road

in Australia, they drive upside down ...

strange indeed ...

I took it as a reference to the possibility that we in Ireland drive on the opposite side of the road to the UK. Would make for interesting times when crossing the border into Northern Ireland.
CSR - May 2020
Unread 11 Sep 19, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
pompeyboy
slightly serious Dibber

How long are you looking to rent the car for? I can't get anywhere the prices you are quoting for 4 week rentals of a full size car and even a std SUV is coming in at under 1,000 with Alamo through Expedia.

Be aware that Canada seem to have a more European approach to car rentals, first $5-800 of damage isn't covered along with glass, tyres and underside damage but you can buy a stand alone package to cover this from the UK before you leave.

Edited at 05:13 PM.
pompeyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote