Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Sep 19, 07:35 AM  
Link to this Post
CarolynU
Imagineer

CarolynU's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

I’m having a WDW on-site trip next month with my grandchildren, daughter, son in law from the UK and my son and his wife from Canada.
They are coming and going on different days to us.
I can book ours on the UK website but not theirs. Theirs have to be booked on the US site.
Magic bands have appeared disappeared and it’s taken numerous phone calls and emails to sort it. FP+ was a nightmare!
That’s what has done it for me!
Old 17 Sep 19, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ely3857 View Post
At the moment it seems a little unfair to compare a room at Disneyworld with accommodation at Butlins. Even the most basic Disney accommodation isn’t quite as IKEA as Butlins. Despite the lack of square footage I hope you’re pleasantly supposed with your room when you get there.
Actually I'd say our All Stars room and the resort itself this time last year was not dissimilar to a U.K. holiday park. Not in a bad way , we will happily use holiday centres in Devon as a base for days out only occasionally using the food court or pool as they are perfectly located for all the great stuff nearby , just as AS is for Disney.
For literally decades a trip to Florida always included Disney for us , in the last year we've done two Florida trips without Disney and not even felt a twinge . Our last trip to Disney was just too much like a lot of hard work for too much money. I see us doing waterparks in the future and maybe a day or two at the Disney parks but the days of it's all about the Mouse are gone for us.

Edited at 08:33 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
first-timer
Helping Donald

They’ve took the bunk beds out of akl which is where we were going to stay next August so the kids had there own beds, only reasonably priced resort that had them, now struggling to find something suitable that I can afford
first-timer is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
The speculation is this has backfired, with now a big sudden drop off in attendance, packages etc.

I think there must be something in what he is saying, as he is one of the biggest US Disney travel agents.
I know this is a bit selfish, but that should be good for me. I'm planning to be there next year and it will be good to see attendance - and therefore crowds - reduced.

I'm still expecting people to complain that the parks are more crowded though.

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
The big question is, is this temporary and as you say will it pick up and be crazy again at Xmas etc anyway, or is there something deeper here. Also, how much has the price gouging put customers off for good?
If Disney doesn't drop it's prices and it turns out to be temporary, then that'll mean it has nothing at all to do with the price of things. It's something else.

If it is to do with price, then I'd expect it to be a permanent thing. Because I doubt Disney will reduce it's prices.

And if it is permanent (or at least it lasts a while), it'll mean things like the free dining offer will continue as a way to try to attract visitors. Disney may even offer better deals in the future if the apparent drop off in visitor numbers continues.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
£20k😮
You can buy a house in Stoke-on-Trent for that
You could. But would you want to?

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
I know this is a bit selfish, but that should be good for me. I'm planning to be there next year and it will be good to see attendance - and therefore crowds - reduced.

I'm still expecting people to complain that the parks are more crowded though.

well, even though I totally get the selfishness (I share that feeling, less people in the park, better times for me) aand agree with that, I still get mixed emotions

lower attendance due to higher prices, yeah, I'll take it, but we both know this will come at another kind of cost ... cuts in entertainment, shows, possibly maintenance

so, what good would it do if I paid more, for less, and for rides that may have more downtime

hell, look at Disneyland Paris, you'll see how the "best disney park in the world" as of 1992 has gone downhill (and will not even recover with the new future additions to WDS)
see how the park was hurt by cuts in shows, entertainement, and staffing in general.

so, yup, mixed emotions
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
CosmicGirl
Apprentice Imagineer

In all fairness, Pete himself has been scaring people away as he was convinced that all hell would break loose once SW opened. Although I do agree that the prices have become too high (esp on the US site), I do think that many people decided to skip the next 6 months or so and postponed their trip to avoid the projected massive crowds.
CosmicGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by CosmicGirl View Post
In all fairness, Pete himself has been scaring people away as he was convinced that all hell would break loose once SW opened. Although I do agree that the prices have become too high (esp on the US site), I do think that many people decided to skip the next 6 months or so and postponed their trip to avoid the projected massive crowds.
I don’t get why he thinks it’s on a downturn yet bought dvc, wouldn’t you wait to see if prices dropped first if things are as bad as he makes out?
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Holidaylover19
VIP Dibber

Holidaylover19's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
A Disney holiday is expensive? You don't say!

Personally I'm outraged by the price of a beachside penthouse suite in Hawaii with its own private beach and a sports car to drive to and from swanky restaurants.
Holidaylover19 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkspideruk
Imagineer

pinkspideruk's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I find it interesting people are complaining about the queues and things and the FP system.

I first when to WDW 33 years ago, queues were often an hour plus wait for smaller rides like Mr Toad and Snowwhite, for BTM a 3 hour wait was normal. No in queue entertainment, often outside queues with the occasional water fountain!

Now most rides are under an hour wait with the exception of the big rides, which you can normally get FPs for anyways even if you book out at 30 days - in fact we have had TSM as an on the day FP.

So for me the queues arent an issue at all - it could be because we normally go Sep/Oct Jan/Feb time where numbers are generally lower anyways.

I actually think that the loss of the entertainment and having less characters, parks closing early for private or extra cost events, areas being sealed off for extra fee paying people is more of an issue, we go to Disney for the shows and entertainment - the rides are not the best in FL, BG and SW both have much better big rides and water rides (as does US).

Cost wise I'm not sure we will be able to justify staying on site much longer which is a shame, I think if we arent staying on site we are unlikely to go to DS, the resorts or broadwalk and unlikely to book a 14 day ticket to disney, if we take the cost of disney off the hols, stay on i drive and just have the SW BG and US tix even adding in eating off site our holiday cost is 1/3

Sep 01 - Sep 20 Universal Endless Summer Surfside
pinkspideruk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List