Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Jun 19, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
What exactly is 'high functioning autism'?

I interviewed a potential new lodger this week
She told me she has 'high functioning autism' but TBH she seemed just the same as everybody else to me.
I've agreed to take her; what sort of things will she likely be different with? It might be helpful to have a few pointers up front.
She is working part -time so must be socially functional (if that's the right term)
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

In my experience with my niece, slightly more vulnerable, slightly more socially awkward and more straight talking.

There are so many people on the spectrum I am sure if we all got analysed we would flag up somewhere on the spectrum. I don't think you need to do anything different than with anyone else.
Old 27 Jun 19, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
I interviewed a potential new lodger this week
She told me she has 'high functioning autism' but TBH she seemed just the same as everybody else to me.
I've agreed to take her; what sort of things will she likely be different with? It might be helpful to have a few pointers up front.
She is working part -time so must be socially functional (if that's the right term)
My son has ASD ( Aspergers) which is a HFA. Main thing he struggles with is social skills. He can be very direct.
He has a full time driving job, and is studying for an HNC in business management. He also has a photographic memory, writes music, plays in a band and manages 3 other bands. A busy life.
At my work the Global Head of Engineering had ASD and he travelled the world presenting papers for the American Petroleum Institute, so yes these folk can communicate
My son is fully aware of his gift ( and he sees it as that ! )
You will hardly notice any differences, just treat her as you would anyone else, as you should
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Aspergers is what people generally used to call it, some still do.

Most are average or above average intelligence and dont usually have the learning difficulties that usually come with autism, although some will still have additional needs.

I have autism and I could probably label it as high functioning. I hold down a job, Im above average intelligence, but I do struggle socially. Im not socially inappropriate as such, I can hold down a job fine, I just struggle to form relationships with people and maintain them as I have a slight lack of interest and awareness of other people.

Main difficultly with me is I do have problems with loud noises, I dont like loud music, loud tv, bangs and clangs annoy me more than I can explain. But each person with autism is an individual so its probably best to set down ground rules with the lodger and in doing this, find out if there is anything they need to tell you about it. Each person is individual, with me, most people can tell there is something a little different about me, but they wouldnt really be able to point out what, theyd probably just describe me as a bit odd I guess, but thats me.

Edited at 09:33 AM.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Thanks, this is really helpful.
I don't mind socially awkward (although she wasn't at all awkward with me, a complete stranger, so she's obviously learned about this) and direct talking people I LOVE I can't bear people who skirt around what they want to say
Also she did say she wants to live in a quiet house and mine certainly is that
So looks like we will get along fine
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by klr15 View Post
I hold down a job, Im above average intelligence, but I do struggle socially. Im not socially inappropriate as such, I can hold down a job fine, I just struggle to form relationships with people and maintain them as I have a slight lack of interest and awareness of other people.
Is this a sign of autism? Well then I have it too (not kidding)
Old 27 Jun 19, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
kellsbells
Imagineer

I have a family member with Asperger's and I would say that something to be aware of is giving a good amount of notice of any changes as that can be difficult, routine is often important. I would also say people with Asperger's often can't read body language in the same automatic way that others do (which is something that can cause the social difficulties)so just be clear in your communication rather than expecting her to pick up on things and everything should be fine

kellsbells is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
TigerMom
Apprentice Imagineer

My son has Aspergers and his social skills aren't too bad but he is very direct. So much so that my DD and I take him shopping with us as he gives us a true opinion of anything we try on. He does struggle with loud noises though and some strong smells. He expects you to keep to your word as well so if you say you will be home at 7pm and you are even 1 minute late he can get stressed. I wouldn't change him for the world.
TigerMom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
hilz22
Imagineer

I have 2 sons 16 and 12. One hfa the the other classed as moderate functioning with learning difficulties.
Ds 16 is not social, is a pacifist, does say it how it is. And needs to know if anything different to the usual routine is happening. This might be useful for you to know. Let her know in advance if you are decorating, having guests over extra.
Ds 12 struggles with the same things but will lash out violently.
He also cannot write but as the memory of an elephant. He will not even try in a room full of people and just ignore people who try and engage him. Rather than ds 16 who will try.

'Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do' -just saying
hilz22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Doowop
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by klr15 View Post
Aspergers is what people generally used to call it, some still do.

Most are average or above average intelligence and dont usually have the learning difficulties that usually come with autism, although some will still have additional needs.

I have autism and I could probably label it as high functioning. I hold down a job, Im above average intelligence, but I do struggle socially. Im not socially inappropriate as such, I can hold down a job fine, I just struggle to form relationships with people and maintain them as I have a slight lack of interest and awareness of other people.

Main difficultly with me is I do have problems with loud noises, I dont like loud music, loud tv, bangs and clangs annoy me more than I can explain. But each person with autism is an individual so its probably best to set down ground rules with the lodger and in doing this, find out if there is anything they need to tell you about it. Each person is individual, with me, most people can tell there is something a little different about me, but they wouldnt really be able to point out what, theyd probably just describe me as a bit odd I guess, but thats me.
This is also my daughter.

She also struggles with words sometimes, she needs to know the exact meaning of every word and if she doesnt know 1 then she wont understand the full sentence. She doesnt get sayings - cut from the same cloth, like 2 peas in a pod - we have to actually say what we mean and no improv!

If shes tired shes more difficult, every day after school she needs quiet time to sort things out in her head so dont be surprised if your new lodger takes herself off for quiet time each day

She may need things to stay in the same place in the kitchen for example - dont change your cupboards around

My daughter doesnt get tidy your room I have to tell her where each thing has to go - again its being very specific

If you set rules then my daughter will live by them to the letter

She is also very kind and concerned about how everything she does affects other people, she does get sarcasm and can also joke but only if in the right mood.

I think you are fantastic for giving this girl a chance, if you have Facebook try following the girl with the curly hair, her daily postings might give you some insight
Doowop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List