Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
Holiday to Florida with Florida4less
Unread 18 Aug 19, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
FamilyGWales
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
Considering IDS is a backbencher and his say has as much weight as any other backbencher. He is NOT in the Government any more and hasn't since 2016... so why worry over something that isn't going to happen on this time scale if it ever did.
It's not IDS saying this in his role as a backbencher it is in his role as chair of an influential social justice think tank. So consideration would need to be given to thier recommendations I suspect.

That does not of course mean the government needs to adopt the recommendations in part or in full. For all we know the govt may want to put it up to 80!

Edited at 02:09 PM.
FamilyGWales is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Unread 18 Aug 19, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by stecee View Post
I work in a physical job and having just turned 60, sometimes struggle at work. Ive got another 6 years to go before reaching state pension retirement age, I wont be able to retire before then. Im hoping that work will give me a less strenuous role as I get older.
I feel for youngsters these days, god knows what the retirement age will be in the future.
Unfortunately the job I do doesn't have less strenuous roles 😢 and with my hands being the worst affected I wonder what jobs I could do ☹
dubletrub is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
POFQ, 1st time onsite :)
Unread 18 Aug 19, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

Originally Posted by stecee View Post
I feel for youngsters these days, god knows what the retirement age will be in the future.
I think youngsters today need to work out their own retirement date - none of us should be at the mercy of govt decisions about retirement... I look at the state pension as a bonus, not as a financial plan and I think that this will be even more important for the younger generation as there may not even be a state pension.
Save and invest for your own future to your own preferred timetable...
Reykjavik, Budapest, Berlin, California, Tennessee, New York, Philadelphia, Las Vegas, Boston, Oregon, Utah, Arizona, Alaska, Toronto, Vancouver, Whistler,Prague, Munich, Berlin, Cologne, Brussels, Amsterdam, Canaries, Rome, Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia, Japan, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, Korea, Macau,Hong Kong, Myanmar, Helsinki, Athens, Norway
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
iceland self drive round the island
Unread 18 Aug 19, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
FamilyGWales
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sam_b View Post
I think youngsters today need to work out their own retirement date - none of us should be at the mercy of govt decisions about retirement... I look at the state pension as a bonus, not as a financial plan and I think that this will be even more important for the younger generation as there may not even be a state pension.
Agree wholeheartedly. Unfortunately quite a few pensions are tied to the state pension age, so even if you plan on your current pension being say 67, if the state pension changes so does my other one.
FamilyGWales is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Unread 18 Aug 19, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Cuxi
VIP Dibber

I read a couple of months ago that four hundred billion pounds of NI contributions had been misappropriated by successive governments. If there is any truth in that then people should be called to account.
Unread 18 Aug 19, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Lilly3580
Helping Mickey

Mobile

I'm 40 and unfortunately I don't think there will be a state pension but the time my generation retires. Hence the legal requirement for all private companies to have pension pots for all employees.
Lilly3580 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Aug 19, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
fizzypop
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by sam_b View Post
But if we are all in work until we are 75, where are the jobs for the young ones to start building up their pension pots?
fizzypop is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
One last time
Unread 18 Aug 19, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
MarionG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fizzypop View Post
But if we are all in work until we are 75, where are the jobs for the young ones to start building up their pension pots?
Exactly my thought too..
MarionG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Florida hopefully.
Eat and Play Card