Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
Unread 18 Aug 19, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dubletrub View Post
The problem is not everybody is educated and lots of people work in minimum wage jobs and just manage to live. They can't afford to pay lots extra into pension pots that will allow them to retire early.
Agreed, and those who work in minimum wage jobs, for whatever reason, should have state pension provision - the state should provide for those who cannot. But that will apply to very few people on this forum, given its focus. For the rest of us, we should be fiscally responsible enough to plan our futures.
Reykjavik, Budapest, Berlin, California, Tennessee, New York, Philadelphia, Las Vegas, Boston, Oregon, Utah, Arizona, Alaska, Toronto, Vancouver, Whistler,Prague, Munich, Berlin, Cologne, Brussels, Amsterdam, Canaries, Rome, Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia, Japan, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, Korea, Macau,Hong Kong, Myanmar, Helsinki, Athens, Norway
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
iceland self drive round the island
Unread 18 Aug 19, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Lots of people will be working in minimum wage jobs on the run down to retirement though - it will be too hard to do otherwise for those of us who are not in tip-top health.

I am - part time and minimum wage after semi-retiring at 55 with a civil service pension from my previous career.
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Aug 19, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Where can we find out if we are affected, i expect i will be as born in 66.
Unread 18 Aug 19, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bootrip2 View Post
Where can we find out if we are affected, i expect i will be as born in 66.
Its only a proposal at the moment - no one is impacted yet...
Reykjavik, Budapest, Berlin, California, Tennessee, New York, Philadelphia, Las Vegas, Boston, Oregon, Utah, Arizona, Alaska, Toronto, Vancouver, Whistler,Prague, Munich, Berlin, Cologne, Brussels, Amsterdam, Canaries, Rome, Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia, Japan, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, Korea, Macau,Hong Kong, Myanmar, Helsinki, Athens, Norway
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
iceland self drive round the island
Unread 18 Aug 19, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Jennywren
VIP Dibber

I worry for our DD not much chance of her making extra provision for her pension while having to pay off a student loan, she already has too much month left at then of her money and she is far from extravagant.
Jennywren is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Can't get enough of WDW
Unread 18 Aug 19, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Originally Posted by sam_b View Post
Agreed, and those who work in minimum wage jobs, for whatever reason, should have state pension provision - the state should provide for those who cannot. But that will apply to very few people on this forum, given its focus. For the rest of us, we should be fiscally responsible enough to plan our futures.
Not wanting to get into an argument as I partly agree with you, but I am a widow on a not so good wage but I am not putting extra into my small pension when I have experienced how short life is. Half of my last holiday is on a 0% card I am paying off. I am taking a risk but having my husband work all his life and pass away before retirement what little money I have will go to helping me enjoy life now. Plus I don't have expensive holidays every year, I go indirect economy and try to do things cheaply where possible and mostly my holidays are Europe. Although a large % of dibbers will be good earners and have more disposable income I know a few are very working class like myself who do not and will never be able to look at early retirement
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
POFQ, 1st time onsite :)
Unread 18 Aug 19, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Lisbon View Post
Where do you live
Extremadura, Spain
Unread 18 Aug 19, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Adora
Imagineer

Adora's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by fizzypop View Post
But if we are all in work until we are 75, where are the jobs for the young ones to start building up their pension pots?
Who says you'll get to keep your job until then? A lot of companies won't want someone in their 70's working for them, so will find a way to get rid of plenty of the older generation one way or another, the government have made it super easy for companies to sack employees now with no repercussions. So they sack you at 70, stating some reason that you can't argue against with evidence, and you can't claim your private or state pension (if there is still one then) for another five years. What do you do in the interim five years with no money?
The pension age will raise, I don't think anyone can reasonably say it won't, but that doesn't mean companies will be willing to keep an ageing workforce in employment when younger workers are stronger, faster, with less rights and lower starting wages for their ages.
July 2009-AKL honeymoon
Oct 2007-DLP Newport Bay
Aug 2005-Eagle Pointe Villas
Sept 2004-DLP Disneyland Hotel and New York Hotel
Adora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
First family visit