Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
My Magic Holiday
Unread 18 Aug 19, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dubletrub View Post
Not wanting to get into an argument as I partly agree with you, but I am a widow on a not so good wage but I am not putting extra into my small pension when I have experienced how short life is. Half of my last holiday is on a 0% card I am paying off. I am taking a risk but having my husband work all his life and pass away before retirement what little money I have will go to helping me enjoy life now. Plus I don't have expensive holidays every year, I go indirect economy and try to do things cheaply where possible and mostly my holidays are Europe. Although a large % of dibbers will be good earners and have more disposable income I know a few are very working class like myself who do not and will never be able to look at early retirement
Totally agree with everything you wrote , I worked with someone who carried on working until 65 and then planned to go round the world. She died two months after leaving and hadn't even left for the first part of her trip. Some people on here work very hard and save for a very long time to be able to go to Florida and I for one dont feel anyone should be made to feel bad about prioritising a holiday, be it Florida or Skegness , over putting extra into a pension pot. I would rather live in a caravan(as someone said earlier) than give up my memories of my holidays with my family.
Unread 18 Aug 19, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell 1
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

Originally Posted by JLH View Post
Totally agree with everything you wrote , I worked with someone who carried on working until 65 and then planned to go round the world. She died two months after leaving and hadn't even left for the first part of her trip. Some people on here work very hard and save for a very long time to be able to go to Florida and I for one dont feel anyone should be made to feel bad about prioritising a holiday, be it Florida or Skegness , over putting extra into a pension pot. I would rather live in a caravan(as someone said earlier) than give up my memories of my holidays with my family.
I dont think anyone is saying you should feel bad but its a gamble. Lots of people will live a very long retirement and if you chose to prioritise memories in the here and now then you cant moan when youre still working at 70.
Tinkerbell 1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Phil Collins at Maddison Square Gardens
Unread 18 Aug 19, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell 1 View Post
Exactly this, retirement is now more like 30 years instead of 10 and the numbers just dont stack up.

People really need to focus on their private provision, Im in my early forties and I have no expectation of a state pension, anything I get will be a bonus.

I should probably grab my tin hat right now but I dont think anyone on this site can moan about having to work in to their 70s if theyve prioritised Florida holidays over their pension provision.
30 years! Must be because of the area I live in them but in my 51 years I know 1 person, my nana who lived until 90 but she never worked after having children. All my other relatives died in their 60s and 70s so not even 20 years. My dad just died at 82 so got 17 years retirement.
I know more and more people passing of cancer before retirement so I find the 30 years retirement laughable !
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
POFQ, 1st time onsite :)
Unread 18 Aug 19, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneydreamer91
Proud to wear my Ears

30 years! Must be because of the area I live in them but in my 51 years I know 1 person, my nana who lived until 90 but she never worked after having children. All my other relatives died in their 60s and 70s so not even 20 years. My dad just died at 82 so got 17 years retirement.
I know more and more people passing of cancer before retirement so I find the 30 years retirement laughable !
My mum and aunt never hit retirement.

Like you only my Nan has managed it and thats because she gave up work years ago.

I cant think of the future. I put my allocated lot into my private pension and will have to see what the future holds...

Like you Ive seen too much of life being short and wouldnt trade some of the wonderful memories Ive shared in Florida for anything

Edited at 05:58 PM.
Disneydreamer91 is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Port Orleans 2019
Unread 18 Aug 19, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell 1 View Post
I dont think anyone is saying you should feel bad but its a gamble. Lots of people will live a very long retirement and if you chose to prioritise memories in the here and now then you cant moan when youre still working at 70.
Well I wasn't meant to be working until I was 70 when I started at the age of 16 ! Yes I know holidays can be had elsewhere for cheaper amounts and throughout my children's childhood we have been on every type of cheap holiday available .I feel like you are implying that holidays should only be a priority for people that can afford to put more into their pension pot and I cant agree with that at all, my apologies if I am interpreting it wrong.
Unread 18 Aug 19, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell 1
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

Im in the south east and yes life expectancy is better here than Scotland for example. DH Nan live to 96, my Nan is 86, grandfathers died in their 80s. That said we lost DMIL last year at 70 only two years after grandmother in law.

I work for a pension company and longevity tables are telling us people are living longer but of course it wont apply to everyone and there are regional variations. The problem is whilst people are living longer they are spending more of it in poor health.
Tinkerbell 1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Unread 18 Aug 19, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell 1
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

Originally Posted by JLH View Post
Well I wasn't meant to be working until I was 70 when I started at the age of 16 ! Yes I know holidays can be had elsewhere for cheaper amounts and throughout my children's childhood we have been on every type of cheap holiday available .I feel like you are implying that holidays should only be a priority for people that can afford to put more into their pension pot and I cant agree with that at all, my apologies if I am interpreting it wrong.
No Im not saying that. What Im trying to say although perhaps not very well is that if you choose to prioritise holidays (or cars, technology etc) during your working life over additional pension savings thats your choice but accept your may have to work longer when you dont have the income you need in retirement.
Unread 18 Aug 19, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
VIP Dibber

The amount you have as a pension is not only based on your spending on holidays, disposable assets etc. Mostly it depends on life experience which is frequently down to luck rather than judgement.

It depends on redundancy, promotions, divorce, cost of living (amount needed to spend on housing, food etc).

It also depends on your age, the boomers have mainly had it good. No student loans, low house prices compared to income and the lack of consumables to purchase and a post war mindset. (I am one, I know this will be controversial)
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Florida Tix