Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Sep 19, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Dreamer1977
Helping Mickey

Mobile Work experience ideas

Eldest DD has just started in year 12. The subject she is enjoying most at the moment is travel and tourism.
They have a weeks work experience in February and it’s time to start applying. She would really like something to do with travel and tourism - we have the usual travel agents idea, but any suggestions of other good things to try

TIA 😊
Dreamer1977 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post

Is it during term time? Is there a travel and tourism course at the local college she could go and shadow the lecturer?

Anywhere local with a tourist information centre that she could go and work in?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Do you have any National Trust properties nearby she could apply too
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

How about a local hotel?
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Labboy
VIP Dibber

Hospitality or a travel agents maybe , something that may keep them motivated and interest them to find out the nitty gritty things. Oops just reread and seen travel agents, what about things like RSPB wildlife sanctuary’s , local tourism offices, where she has face to face interaction with tourists and visitors. Any companies close that do bus trips to see sights of interest too. Any historic places nearby that would like someone to help out.

Edited at 10:02 PM.
Labboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Are you close to an airport? Obviously security is super tight so not sure they'd even consider a work experience student but would be pretty cool

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Labboy
VIP Dibber

Great idea Smithlane, wish I had thought of that.
Labboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Labboy View Post
Great idea Smithlane, wish I had thought of that.
I live right next door to Heathrow and have always wanted to work there behind the scenes. Airports fascinate me 😬

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Labboy
VIP Dibber

Smithlane I think your sister is my darling wife, she loves airports and flying, from her earliest days down in Eaton wick when her uncle said come and look at this and it was Concorde taking off at Heathrow , thank goodness I got her a flight for her 4O th on it before it was vandalised by BA.
Old 20 Sep 19, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

Hi, I completed a BTEC National Diploma in Travel and Tourism and in my second year I went to an airlines head office to complete my work experience, would this be available to her? Although it was airline work because I wasn’t in the airport but a building on the perimeter i didn’t need to complete the security checks that would be needed if you worked at the airport therefore they were happier to take students on work experience. After completing my diploma I went on to work as ground staff then jumped to cabin crew (I loved every minute of it). Good luck to you DD I hope she finds a good placement.
Stardust5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List