Go Back   theDIBB > Other Planning > Weddings and Honeymoons
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Weddings and Honeymoons DIBBers wedding and honeymoon planning and chat.
Attraction Tickets Direct
Closed Thread
Unread 7 Apr 11, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
VIP Dibber

Hi ya all,

Thats me done for the in work week thankfully as Im working from home tomorrow. Aside from that not too much planned this weekend, probably going to my parents house on Sat but not too sure what needs to be done now, kitchen in, bathrooms are in, lights are starting to go up. Maybe I can do some gardening in this lovely weather, aside from the fact I hate gardening (too many bugs) it sound like a nice idea!

My diet has been fine again today but I have this thing in built in me to say that its wine time as its Thursday (I feel the same Fri and Sat too!) and I purposely havent bought any and dont intend to but I dont half miss it! I love my few glasses of weekend wine. I think this is what you were saying Liz the other day. Im going to be strong though and resist as its not long now until my friends come up to visit and there will be lots of drinking then. Ive been trying to think of things to do with them when here but Im a bit stuck. I did think Blackpool but its so pricey now to get into the Pleasure Beach and Im not sure we could go to Bpool without going in the PB. Then I thought the Sealife centre or similar but the nearest is Scarborough or Birmingham and thats a bit of a trek. I know its a long shot as none of you live round here but any ideas what we can do thats not too pricey?

I was looking today at franchises on line. Ive never really fully understood them and still dont 100% but I saw a gym one as many of you know Alexs dream is to own a gym. Trouble is the outlay is sooooo much and we simply dont have it, but one can dream eh?! Id LOVE to run our own fitness business.
Its not that Im thinking of quitting my job or anything its just that recently both Alex an I have got very despondent with it. I know a lot of people think they are worth more than they are paid but we work on a grading system in our organisation and for a very long time now we have been working at a higher grade than we have been paid for so we really are worth more than we are paid. Before you think what mugs! , the reason weve been doing it is so that it improves our long term prospects, kind of like in the future once a promotion comes up we would easily be the ideal candidates as we are already doing the job. Both of us have been marked suitable for promotion for many years now and both of us have had bonuses each year. The trouble is now that the company has to make massive savings, the cuts are coming from not replacing people as they leave and no promotions or bonuses. Couple that with a freeze on pay rises and all of a sudden people like us cannot progress, we dont have a hope in hell of ever doing so and we arent even getting a bonus anymore. All of a sudden we have become the mugs as we do so much of work for free and yet work alongside and with people who get paid a lot more than we do, its very frustrating. I feel theres a fine line between being respected and valued and being taken for granted and Im beginning to think weve tipped over that. At the end of the day sometimes when you are well respected for the level of work that you do means that you get unfairly relied upon and ultimately dumped on time and time again and its just not cool anymore its no longer enough to be known for the work you do.

I cant help thinking that between Alex and myself we have good business acumen hes extremely good with facts and figures (at school he was the science and maths kid) and Ive very good with creativity and people (I was the arts and English kid) and sometimes I think we really do deserve more because what we put in now is simply not being reflected at the end of every month. As silly as it sounds I first realised this when Dragons Den was all the rage as very often before the dragons had even uttered a word me and Alex had formed our own opinions, usually me discussing the actual idea and why it wouldnt work and Alex analysing the business model and financial viability and 9/10 the Dragons would essentially repeat what we had just deduced. I probably sound like Im blowing my own trumpet, or our trumpets, and I dont mean to sound like that, Im more thinking out loud. Im really just using you guys as a sounding board because I just cant help thinking that we could do better going it alone but we just daren't take the risks. Alexs dad built from scratch a very successful building company and my dad progressed his way through the company he worked for from being the lowest rung on the corporate ladder to the very highest at the point of retirement, so we also both come from quite successful families who have carved their own way in life from nothing both our fathers grew up on council estates and had little in the way of qualifications or opportunities both now live very nice lifestyles and have beautiful homes via an enriched and rewarding career and downright hard work. They both went out and shaped their own destiny and I feel, well we both do, slightly like we are failing in their shadows as we have the ability to do so much more, I just know we do. Trouble is they had nothing to lose whereas we do.
Dont get me wrong there are some perks to our jobs, the hours are flexible, we can work from home, its a very family friendly employer, we work together, the holidays are good and very flexible, we never get told what to do and the people we work with are like family its just I think we are building up a lot of frustration inside from the injustice of the situation we find ourselves in and where there once was a hope of a career that is now becoming a distant blot on the horizon. Trouble is those perks are hard to give up for just any old thing so if we did give them up it would have to be for a damn good reason and that would only ever be to work for ourselves.
So, hence why I was looking at self employment and then franchises. I just wish we had some capital I really really do, as I would seriously look into the fitness idea - Im going to have to start playing the lottery I think! Anyway sorry about that just wanted a grumble, Ive been feeling like this all week and a few times Ive written this down and then deleted it before posting as I was going to hold off boring you with all my woes but it really has been a long week so I thought sod it, the girls wont mind me having a self pity moment. See now why I need a little drink!

Maybe I just need a holiday and when we come back well be right as rain. Oh ok, if I have to, you persuaded me, ok, ok, you twisted my arm - I WILL go to Orlando in 46 days but only if I HAVE to! Wayhey.

Hi Rach, well done about your weight, thats brilliant. Have you lost weight since last Mon as I cant remember your stats last week? Rach you might be able to think of somewhere for me to take my friends?

Hi Nat, Glad work is better and as odd as this sounds congratulations on the socks! A key part to the new you. Theres very little point me saying this with your bazookas, but I got a good sports bra from ASDA if thats any help?

Hi Kim Uh oh you know what Im gonna say..I TOLD you about those sweets! Its the polyols they do wicked things to your insides. No more than 3 a day otherwise youll be ill.
I think you are right honey about your diet, Ive known you a whole year now I think (wow!) and Ive seen you start and stop sooo many diets. You stick to it for a week or two and get good results and when that teeters off then you do too, its just takes time and you have to stick with things, Im living proof of that. Sometimes you wont lose weight and some times you will but chopping and changing all the time is not always the way to go, you have to give it a good chance. Your diet is fine, I think you are maybe eating too much peanut stuff, and too many Atkins sweets stuff, but at the moment its working ok so no worries, but if you get to a point where you are not losing then its that kind of thing you get rid of. No diet will ever work if you are eating more calories than you are burning so if youve gained half a pound then dont let it get to you, knock off a few Atkins bars/cookies/sweets and exercise and it will be gone by Monday. Im assuming you weighted in before you ate all the sweets? but if it was after then you have your answer there as to why youve gained, if it was before like Liz says I wouldnt worry about it, weight goes up and down all the time and I too could lose it in the loo! This is why you should only weigh in once a week, particularly those of us who don't like to see any gains. Your weight can be affected by so many things, the toilet, the temperature, when you last ate, when you last drank, your body heat, even when you last showered or bathed and so is absolutely pointless an amount to pay any attention to a totally false reading. You know your height changes on a daily basis too how weird is that?! Certainly keep an eye on your weight if you want to but I worry with you it will make you get downhearted and start to drift from the diet and its so unnecessary. What youve eaten today is fine (was it 2 cups?) but dont go eating tea and then more chocolate. I know you have a sweet tooth but youll have to curb it if you want to lose weight. Try sugar free lollies or even just more SF jellies. Stick with it Kim,it will be worth it. x

Hi Liz, awww poor Freyja, she is so in the wars at the moment, poor little lamb. I hope she gets better soon. MMMM Stop making pies will you?! I am very jealous of Dans dinner and hes very lucky to have a wife-to-be like you. Better not show your culinary devotion you have to Dan to Alex or he might want a trade in! Ill get the old you never make pie for me
I do think you can do the low fat stuff yourself if you have to make so much of the food yourself. Incidentally the RC was a franchise too I noticed today. Would you do the shakes and bars yourself too? Im going to try and catch up with TV too after exercise I havent seen BL USA yet.

Food:
B: shake
S: peanuts (25g)
L: shake
D: pork loin salad. SF jelly.

Exercise: Davina, 30 min weights, 30 min cardio box.

Have a good evening everyone. xxx
2011 - May/June Disneymoon trip! BWV & AKL.
2012 - Sept The 'anniversary trip' SSR.
2013 - October the bonus trip to POR
2015 - 20th trip!September WLV first trip with DD!
2017 - Sept Poly first trip with two toddlers!
2018 - May AKV & POR the last before school trip.
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Unread 7 Apr 11, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyBlonde
VIP Dibber

DisneyBlonde's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 4
Guidebook Photos: 102
Guidebook Reviews: 4
Well, I managed to beat the scales into submission and they've finally admitted I've lost 1/2lb. I'm a bit surprised as I'd had a good week (apart from a sandwich) but I feel a bit bloaty so I'm putting down as that. I have lost inches though which is brill

My low carbing is going well, and it really helps that i will eat anything at anytime! The other night we had stir fried chicken and mushrooms with cauli cheese, and I had it cold for breakfast the next day.

Going back to work has helped me get back on track with my eating, and even though I work from home as well as being out on the road I'm doing well.

Tuesday was chicken and cauli cheese for breakfast, ham and cheese for lunch with salad leaves, pork steaks and cabbage for dinner and a thorntons diabetic fudge bar later at night.

Yesterday was boiled eggs for breakfast, Tuna mayo lettuce boats for lunch, Stir fried cabbage with steak and mushrooms for dinner, couple of tablespoons of sweetened yoghurt for dessert.

Today was boiled eggs for breakfast, ham and corned beef salad for lunch and chicken and something for dinner as not cooked it yet!

Thorntons diabetic bars are only around 1.1 carbs and make a brilliant sweet treat. They have 22.5g of carbs and 21.4g of that is polyols, which can be unpleasant but it doesn't affect me really.

I'm looking forward to Monday, but the scales might not be. They have had a good talking too and they know now that I won't be messing about
2005-Holiday Inn I-Drive * 2007-QII/Boardwalk * 2009-Married December at the Boardwalk/POR/Rolling Hills Villa (TR here) * 2010-Rolling Hills (TR here) * 2011 May-Rolling Hills (TR here) * 2011 October-Rolling Hills /Boardwalk (TR here) * 2012-Rolling Hills (TR here) * 2013-Rolling Hills (TR here) * 2014-Rolling Hills * 2015-Rolling Hills * 2016-Rolling Hills and Boardwalk * 2017-Boardwalk and Rolling Hills

DisneyBlonde is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
JAPAN! Not Florida this time
Unread 7 Apr 11, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Watergirl
Imagineer

Wow Kel mammoth post, but about my favourite topic (apart from dieting!) business

Dan and I were talking about franchises the other day and I think some of them are good, but some of them are terrible. The problem that I see with certain franchises is that they offer a ready made business to people when often the best way to get a business is to learn how to set it up yourself. (please don't think I'm poo-pooing your ideas Kel, as franchise for some sectors can and do work really well)

I have recruitment ones to go on - they sell themselves to people with no recruitment experience on the basis that they will have back office facilities, across to job sites, a name, set the company up for them etc etc. Most of those things, in my industry, can be done for very little money and you certainly cannot do recruitment with no experience, so it makes me mad :angry:

I mentored a lady who set up a recruitment franchise and had paid out about 15k (I set my company up for 200 and the bought business cards for 50) and she had no business coming in and massive overheads of about 4500 monthly (mine were about 150!) and I felt so sorry for her, but she was tied into this company. They did not give the support they promised and she was beyond help really.

I think if someone is going to be good at business, they can almost set up anything. It has to be something that they are passionate about and as long as they understand that every single business lives and dies by it's sales then they will do well! IMO anyway.
Most companies struggle within the first couple of years and it's nearly always down to cashflow. It's as simple as not enough coming in to cover what's going out.

I set my business up (after my house sale feel through which was going to finance it) on a 0% credit card. I applied for it before I handed in my notice at my old company and got a great limit. Everything went on that and I could have lived frugally for 6 months with nothing coming in. As it happened I made about 25k in my first couple of months and paid it off! For anyone thinking I must be loaded - most of that goes to the tax man, as it's a limited company Hate the tax man!

I think from what I know of you and Alex you would be great at running a company. Kel you seem to have a lot of traits that are good for sales people. You are genuinely interested in other people, good listener, honest, understand what makes people tick. What you say about risk is the biggest limiting factor though, because some of the best business people are the ones who have taken the biggest risks. Think that is often what differentiates the little people like me from the Richard Bransons of the world.

It was a risk handing in my notice and setting up on a credit card, but the reality is that I could have gone into another sales role if it didn't work - some professions, if you're okay at what you do, are really easy to slip back into. I think sales is one of them. No-one would turn down a good one who will make them money.

I did also downsize my house to cut household outgoings. If you really want to do it, then go for it. I can really, really recommend 'the small business start-up workbook' by Cheryl D Rickman. Even if you're only in the stage of thinking 'I quite fancy that' it will tell you how, make it simple and spur you into action. It is the best thing that I have ever done.

Hope I haven't gone on too much! I do like talking about setting up businesses

Worldquest (Jun 2018), Villa (Nov/Dec 2016), Floridays (Nov/Dec 2014), Floridays (Dec 2013), SSR (2012), Homewood Suites, RPR, Siesta Key (2011), Point Orlando (2009), Wyndham Resort Palace & Spa (2005)
Watergirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Last minute trip
Unread 7 Apr 11, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
VIP Dibber

Liz, thank you for that. I was hoping you would reply and I agree 100% with everything you've said, especially the franchise part. This is what worries me. To set up a gym it's 75k and that doesn't include premises or equipment and to me the thought of always having that umbrella above you feels a bit smothering. It's feels like you have a very expensive safety net. We are both quite good with accounts and cash flow, we work now with many businesses, thousands, and we see day in and day out how they run, their models and how they fail. We aren't experts by any means but we definatley have more knowledge than we would otherwise. I read your reply out to Alex in full and he was agreeing wholeheartedly, in fact you've sparked a huge conversation here. We've been discussing 'dipping our toes' in the water by running some evening fitness classes and hiring out a hall a few nights a week to see how it goes. The situation with Alex is that he is a qualified Personal Trainer but with zero experience so he would need to get some exeperience some how and all that's left is PL insurance. Six years ago Alex and I drew up a business model for setting up a personal training business, and we started collecting equipment and Alex contacted Premier training who confirmed his ability to PT but them we were offered the management jobs at work and our dream fell by the way side. I then got fat and we gave up but my point is that this is not something we have just plucked out of the air, it's a long term passion of his and something I enjoy hugely now too.
I get excited thinking about it and I just hope we at least try doing the evening classes.
Thanks again Liz, you helped more than I think you know!

Sorry Alex, I don't mean to not address your post, well done on the loss, Monday will be a breeze for you, food sounds yum.
Right done my exercise, off to watch BL.
Xxxx
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Unread 7 Apr 11, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyBlonde
VIP Dibber

DisneyBlonde's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 4
Guidebook Photos: 102
Guidebook Reviews: 4
Hi,

I feel like in doing a virtual eavesdrop here but it was fascinating reading about setting up a business.

When I was married before we both did martial arts and set up our own club, ok it was on a much smaller scale than what you guys are talking here, but i can fully appreciate what you are saying.

We belonged to an organisation to Choi Kwang Do and it was set up by a Tae Kwon Do master in the Korean army who developed his own style. He had moved to Atlanta to get medical treatment and loved the USA so much he stayed there and developed his own martial art style. He had established clubs in various parts of the world and we came across it in London. Husband had done TKD for 20 years, I had done it for 7 and we left to train in CKD.

We were able to fast track through the training and gradings because of our experience and after a few years we set up our own club in Birmingham. After a while, the plan was to have classes every day and nights and make it our business. We were both in well paid jobs and it was going to be a huge change and risk for us. There was no help as such from the CKD organisation, apart from cost price equipment and suits, so it would have come down to us completely.

We looked at business loans, hiring vs purchasing premises, marketing and sales etc and were all set to go for it. We were going to start with one of us still working (me) and him doing the clubs and then me joining the business full time.

Problem was we split up!

We carried on the classes we had set up as we had a responsibility to the students but it just became completely impractical so in the end I left. He carried on doing the 3 nights a week but eventually moved away.

The worst of it was, the organisation had a training and demonstration seminar in London and the main man came over which was such a privilege. After the seminar he came up to me and asked for a meeting, which frightened the life out of me as I thought I'd done something wrong!

Turned out, he was looking for a woman to go out to America to start clubs in various places, get them established and train experienced students, hand the club over and then move on to the next place to start another club. He wanted to promote the style as self defence rather than a martial art and wanted a woman to head it up.

Cool, I was so up for that. The Board of Directors of the CKD organisation had to sign off on it as it was quite a radical plan - guess the one who wouldn't sign? Yep, hubby. So that never happened.

I always regreted not being able to set up a business doing something I loved and wonder what would have happened if we hadn't have split up. If you think it is something you can do I think you should, but it is a huge commitment. Apart from the financial side there is the sales and marketing which makes or breaks it.

We had no experience of doing anything like being instructors, so we started doing a couple of classes in the week evenings. We hired a local church hall, borrowed equipment where we could and when we had experience we bought our own.

If Alex has no experience of being a PT then this might be a route to go. Are there any gyms nearby that would take him as a consultant? He could get some experience under his belt and then go it alone. If you could hire a hall of some type and advertise a group personal training session (ok, that sounds like a double negative but I'm sure you know what I mean!) it would give some experience too, and you could see what the take up is like.

That might lead to people wanting individual session which you could then do if you can hire a hall. We went from 2 sessions a week to 2 sessions every night (Mon-Thur) and also an extra kids Saturday session and advanced black belts session on a Sunday. The weekly sessions were a mix of a kids session, beginners sessions and advanced sessions and general training for all abilities. We had people in the beginners session come for the general training, and the advanced students too. They all trained together which was brilliant for the beginners and gave the advanced students a sense of achievement to help the others.

We also ended up doing extra 1-2-1 sessions on Saturdays and Sundays. This was whilst we were both still working! The next step was weekday classes for kids, shift workers, Mom's etc and unfortunately that was the step we didn't take.

Whatever you decide to do i really wish you all the best with it x
2005-Holiday Inn I-Drive * 2007-QII/Boardwalk * 2009-Married December at the Boardwalk/POR/Rolling Hills Villa (TR here) * 2010-Rolling Hills (TR here) * 2011 May-Rolling Hills (TR here) * 2011 October-Rolling Hills /Boardwalk (TR here) * 2012-Rolling Hills (TR here) * 2013-Rolling Hills (TR here) * 2014-Rolling Hills * 2015-Rolling Hills * 2016-Rolling Hills and Boardwalk * 2017-Boardwalk and Rolling Hills

Edited at 09:45 PM.
DisneyBlonde is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
JAPAN! Not Florida this time
Unread 7 Apr 11, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
VIP Dibber

Alex, thank you. Both of us are reading all this. Alex absolutley has a passion for MMA so your post hit home hard. His entire life has circulated around fitness, at a teen he was a tennis coach for kids and played football for his area, then as he got older he was always part of a gym and was very much inti his bodybuliding, he then went on to study sports science at Loughborough where he also developed a love for MMA, UFC and so on (I don't understand this bit!). I was into my fitness as a kid, I was actually the womens Yorkshire county fencing winner and I also got to gold tag in Karate but I dunno for both of us we lost our way there and gave up on fitness, our passions and our long term goals.
It's scary to think of starting a business but I think you are totally right, get him some experience and then hire a church or village hall and see how we get on with a class. I have a media degree and worked previously as a marketing manager on a uni magazine so was responsible for advertising and securing new contracts, it wasn't a big fish or anything but at least I have a level of experience in marketing so I could give it a shot. I just so badly think we can do this even if it's on a small scale to start with. Thank you for your help and advice it's has really got us thinking. Xxxx
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
Unread 7 Apr 11, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
VIP Dibber

I just read your added bit at the bottom Alex, that's exactly what we were thinking! A few classes whilst we worked and thdn gradually build it up. Thank you so much. Xxxxx
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
Unread 7 Apr 11, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
VIP Dibber

Alex, can I ask how you went about your Marketing?
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
Closed Thread
Attraction Tickets Direct