Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Nov 19, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

Mobile Florida on GCSE results day?

I'm getting a little ahead of myself here but I was wanting to know has anyone took their 16yr old away meaning they missed collecting their GCSEs?

Did they feel they missed out?

Also can anyone remember how far in advance results date was confirmed?

We have family who would happily pick them us for us.

Thank you
magickate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 19, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

I haven’t done it but depending on what they want to do in year 12 they normally have to take their results to register for college that day. It can’t usually be done by a family member.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 19, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Our DD got hers this year. No way would she have not wanted to be with her friends on that day. Appreciate everyone is different, but its not hard to work around the dates.

As mentioned some colleges / sixth forms expect to see the students pretty quickly and if the results aren't as expected there can be a bit of work to be done in making sure they can still do something that they want to do. Just things to think about and be prepared for when deciding.

Results day for GCSE's in 2020 is already known as Thursday 20th August. It is always the same Thursday every year, one week after A Level results.

24th June 2020 is the contingency day which is the last day for exams they have to be available for, although the school does not have to release them until the end of term they usually do by this date. You then have other things like Prom if they are having one to think about. But even with that there is usually at least 3 to fit a holiday in between then and exam results day.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 19, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

We were away for my DD;s results day, a family friend collected them from the school and emailed her the results. She didn't feel like she missed out
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 19, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
f1girly
Imagineer

Our school confirms their enrollment into 6th form on results day, so that would not be great to miss, but all schools are different so check with yours.
f1girly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 19, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekytink
VIP Dibber

cheekytink's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

My DS received his results this year when we were in Florida. They came by email at 2am! He already had his place at school confirmed and he actually chose not to be with his friends because he didn’t want the stress of being happy/sad in front of others.
For A levels it will be different due to Uni acceptance etc, but he was really glad he didn’t have to open any results in public. We had a great day celebrating in WDW!

Been to DLP 40+ times?
Yes... Yes I have.

DLP: 92,93,94 (twice), 95, 96, 98, 99, 00 (twice), 01,02,03, 05, 06 (twice) 07, 09, 10 (twice), 11, 12, 14, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 (twice) 19 (x 4!), 2022 x2 .

WDW 94,96, 99, 10,11, 13, 14,15,17,18,19, 22 x2, 23 x4 and 24 booked x3 (so far!)
Solo visitor lover and DCL 2023 on the Disney Wish
DL 93
cheekytink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 19, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

yep, my daughter's college was the same, she collected her results in the morning at school and then had to take them to the college that afternoon to enrol.

My daughter would have definitely felt she missed out if she hadn't gone to collect her GCSE results in person with her friends. OP I think you need to be guided by your child, if they don't want to be away for results day, work around that.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 19, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Our school will not release the results to anybody but the student. Might be worth checking what your school's protocols are.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 19, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Glad we weren't away this year as one twin did well and had enough to do the A levels she wanted but the other one didn't quite get the results. We went straight to college and managed to get her on a course she was happy with and suited her much better but it would have ruined the holiday if we were away and couldn't sort it.

At no point did school have any concerns that she wouldn't get her predicted grades so it was a bit of a shock.
Old 18 Nov 19, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
HFJohnson
Imagineer

DD is taking her GSCEs next and while we can get her results online or via email and can also confirm her A Level place by email, DD said that she wants to be here on the day. I also think it will be easier in case there are any issues and we need to speak to the sixth form college. We are therefore travelling down to Gatwick on the afternoon/evening of the 20th and flying out on the 21st.
HFJohnson is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List