Old 30 Sep 21, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Britannia staycation sep21 - day 6 at sea and 7 home time

Wake up about 5am with my tummy just in bits. I make it to the bathroom in time but then unfortunately remain there for some time. Around about 7 I’m able to keep a glass of water down so head back to bed.

I doze on and off until my room service breakfast arrives around 9. I sip at the juice and realise I’m feeling a lot better. I think swimming in the choppy pool, and rich Indian food not long before bed didn’t do me any favours. I also have an allergy to some milk products, and maybe the curry just didn’t agree with me.

Unfortunately I decide to skip my fitsteps class, and I had already binned the film on this morning for the class, so I just read in bed.

Around lunchtime I realise that I’m getting a little hungry so I eat my muesli and yoghurt from breakfast in my cabin.

It’s an absolutely stunning day but I give the pool and hot tub a miss just to help my dodgy tum.

2pm is the Trawlermen in live lounge. This is their longer set and I get a water and settle in and watch them. They are so good but I forget to take any photos.

When I get out we have arrived in Southampton. Apparently the ship needed some maintenance before it sets off for the med tomorrow. There have been quite a lot of complaints, but it doesn’t bother me, it’s a stunning day and the views are incredible. I’ve also missed most of what I fancied today so am able to actually phone home and be cheered up.

I’m feeling all better and decide to give my booking for afternoon tea in the MDR a shot. This is really popular. I get a cup of tea, and they bring the food over, there is so much of it! I think no way can anyone eat it all. 3 sandwiches, a scone and 6 cakes each! Crazy. Really good for being included but I can’t help thinking ordering might be better.

I go back to my cabin for a chill out just to make sure the food settles ok and I start to pack my bag. I’m all good so a quick shower and change, I can’t be bothered to make too much of an effort with the hair and make up tonight.

There is a quiz at 5.30pm so I wander down the stairs, I did much better on this one and it was great. I only ended up with 9/20 but a big improvement on 4 and I had a couple of near misses.

There is a pianist on in the atrium and he’s really good, so I brave my first drink of the day, and watch him.

The show in the headliners today is a comedian from earlier in the week. I’m not sure what happened to the lady who was Lady Gaga as she was supposed to come back as Pink which I would have loved. I decided to skip the first seating of the comedian and join the Queue for the Glass House. Normally I wouldn’t have bothered eating here, as the MDR is so very good, but I have £14 of obc left to spend. When I was on Ventura this was a bar I used often, but the setting on Britannia is a bit more random so I haven’t drank here this week.

I get the notification to say that I can go and I am GUTTED I haven’t been all week. Not so much for the food which does look lovely, but the wine list is great. The drinks package has been excellent, but they have upped the drinks prices. Perfect if you are a beer/cider/spirits drinker. Passable for the wines, still lots to pick from, but a few lovely ones no longer included, and then it’s only about 50/50 on the cocktails. Unfortunately for my last day on the drinks package I’m just not on my job but I do try a different wine from Greece.

I order the houmous to start as it seems small, and a steak. I follow up with the cheese which I hoped would be much smaller but was massive. Amazing though but just too much food. I use all my obc though which makes me happy. The Glass House had the best service of all the restaurants I think (although lunchtime in the MDR is excellent).

I can’t eat or drink another thing, so I just get a water and watch the last set of Pulse and watch Bradley play the keyboard.

I haven’t fully packed so I throw my stuff in my bag, settle down and watch MAFS in bed. A shame the last day started not so great, but it ended well and at least it means no hangover for my early start!

Day 7

I had set an alarm for 6am to make breakfast in the MDR as they quite understandably weren’t doing room service this morning.
When it goes off though I quickly decide against it. I have a muffin leftover from yesterday and so I go back to sleep for a bit.
I have opted for self disembarkation between 7-8 and so I doze for a bit until the cabin steward comes in. Turns out some cheeky monkey turned my do not disturb sign over after I had gone to bed. The cabin steward was so apologetic, but I needed to get up anyway.
I gathered my case, and walked through the buffet so I could grab a juice then find a spot in the lift ready to deck 5 to disembark.
I am off in seconds, and follow the sign to the car park. CPS has been great, and my car is all ready for me.
I get straight off and on the road by 8.15am. I hadn’t really followed the news, so was super surprised with the queues from the petrol stations onto the roads.
My car is fully charged, so I don’t actually need to stop, but it’s lucky.
I haven’t had much to eat, and need a wee so stop at the services on the Toll and plug the car in. I feel awful as the chargers are clearly faulty, and me connecting causes it to freeze and knock the car next to me off. I obviously don’t know whose car it is, so just sit on the lookout. I get a panini and a coffee from Starbucks, and some sweets for the journey, then get back on the road.
Other than the fact the M6 is broken again so I get the toll, I absolutely fly home. I’m home for 1.30pm and it’s so nice to see my husband and my dog

General musings

The weather - the weather was absolutely fantastic for September, could not have been luckier, really made it being able to use the pool/hot tubs

My cabin - I ended up with a balcony. And this didn’t really suit me. I’m an awful sleeper and I sleep much much better in an inside as otherwise I wake up with the first light. I hadn’t been thrilled about being on deck 16 but in this case I loved it. Next to the pool, and the Crows nest bar just through a secret door.

The food was on the whole excellent. The free breakfast room service is amazing, the MDR didn’t let me down for breakfast lunch or dinner. I tried all 3 pay for dining rooms, they went Glass house, Sindhu then Epicurean for me. All worth a visit though

The entertainment was really good. There was loads on in the cinema, the theatre shows were really good, and there was loads of great musicians dotted around. I did quizzes, dance classes and all sorts.

It was a shame that it didn’t have more ports, and that I couldn’t get off independently. But I desperately needed a rest and it was a great 6 nights for that.

The drinks package still worked really well for me. It’s a bit of a shame they had put the drinks price up, but not the individual drink limit, as a lot of drinks were £7, but the package went to £6.95. Was no bother though as my wine, cider and most cocktails I like were covered, just would have fancied a frozen margarita.

On the whole a fabulous week away

Edited at 08:26 PM.
mitch84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 21, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Oh no, sorry to read about your stomach issues but glad it seemed to settle quickly.
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 21, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by margyloveswdw View Post
Oh no, sorry to read about your stomach issues but glad it seemed to settle quickly.
Thankyou for reading along! X
Old 4 Oct 21, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Great report - always love reading cruise trippies, this brought back some happy memories from Britannia 😊

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List