Old 20 Sep 21, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Britannia Staycation Sep21 - Embarkation day

I’m not the best sleeper at the best of times but having fallen asleep at 9 I think I have done quite well to make 5am. I manage to read and doze a bit, but by 7am I’m wide awake, and messaging home. I have a quick shower and hit breakfast for opening at 8.

I’m completely not hungry but I force down a small cooked and have some juice and coffee. I also pinch a muffin for later in case I need it.

I decide I might as well get going, check out and get on my way to Southampton.

My first stop is IKEA as I need a desk for home. I could have gone to the one at home but this is right on the docks, and has a charger, toilets and a cafe, so seems as good a place to wait as any. I arrive at 9.45am, and it turns it’s that it’s only open to browse from 10. No problem though, I use their toilets then wait for the charger to become free as it’s being used. Again I have 78% charge so completely not needed, but if I can charge it then my journey home will be easier and smoother.
Once I’m plugged in I head through, and walk the 20 miles to the bit I actually need. I find it, load up the trolley, and am paid at 11.

I get back to the car to find one Tesla waiting for the charger, and another waiting for my space to wait in. I’m way too early, but decide I might as well find the testing centre. I get there and get waved straight through. There were several stops checking documents etc, then up to the test, which was just a firm swab up both nostrils.

It was at this point it got really confusing as to where I needed to go, but I asked and got directed. As I pulled up at the parking I realised I had printed everything except my windscreen proof of parking. Fortunately they had dealt with muppets like me before. As I was waiting to park I got my text to say my result was negative.

Into the terminal I went, was checked in, and then I had to wait a bit before boarding as it wasn’t even 12.30 yet.
I sat down and accessed the wifi straight away so I could book the speciality dining. I hadn’t got the Horizon yet but had heard of deals on first and possibly the second night, so booked Epicurean for tonight as it’s the biggest saving, the Limelight club for tomorrow in case of half price, and Sindhu for celebration night.
Then it was pretty much time to board, through security, then onto the ship. I was on minutes after 1pm.
As instructed I went straight to the muster station, scanned my card and then to the cabin.
I have a single balcony and it’s small, but very light and airy with a great bathroom. Up on deck 16 which I wouldn’t choose but still near to several bits and bobs.

I then go to activate my drinks package, and read my horizon to see where I could have lunch. I’m never a buffet fan, but the MDR aren’t open, so I head to the Lido deck and just get some pizza and chips, along with my first cocktail, a Mai Tai.

I’m super warm and I spilt pizza down myself so I check my cabin to see if my case has arrived so I can have a shower, but no luck yet. I decide to chill for a bit in the Crows Nest near my cabin to read my Horizon and wait.

I order a glass of wine, and plan the rest of my day. Being honest looking at the Horizon there isn’t a huge amount on today. I choose the theatre show at 6.45pm, and I have the Epicurean at 7.45pm. It’s a lovely evening so think sail away should be the Lido, that just leaves me 3 hours to kill.

When I get back to the cabin again my case is there so I gratefully unpack, shower and then just chill with my book for a while.

Sail away is scheduled for about 6 so I wander out to the Lido and order a cocktail and watch the ship band Pulse before my 6.45pm show.

On my way out I see my Horizon for tomorrow and I am very pleased to see there is LOADS on tomorrow so I try to vaguely plan my day.
Pulse are only on briefly so I head to the Crows nest to watch sailaway. We were slightly delayed due to Anthem of the seas beating us.
It’s time for my theatre show and so I walk down 9 flights of stairs. This is ok, a bit random maybe but I think as it was called ‘On the Horizon’ that they were trying to highlight the things to do on the ship. I needed to de-wine for an hour so it was perfect and the dancers are really talented so good sign of things to come. The theatre must have not been 25% full so the 6.45pm seating may be my go to this week.
I have the Epicurean booked for 7.45pm so I arrive slightly early. I get seated and have a lovely booth to myself.
I get marmite and normal butter with a choice of bread, and a complementary Virgin Mary. Not sure who invented tomato juice but they should be shot. The bread was lovely though and marmite butter is amazing.
I order the Jamon with Manchego which was very nice. Followed by the Fillet steak which was cooked beautifully.
I get a pre-dessert of sorbet with jelly and gin, then a cheese plate. Finished up with chocolates. The food is all lovely, but honestly the service was appalling. I do tend to find on cruises that the service can be better in the MDR, they came to take my food order before a drinks order, no water top up without chasing, had to ask for another glass of wine. The head waiter came round checking on people’s food but didn’t actually ask if anyone wanted anything or notice used plates or empty glasses. The food was lovely though and it’s a really chilled out atmosphere. I’m happy enough with the £14 today, but in my opinion, it’s not worth £28pp on top of the MDR as their service is impeccable. I know that’s to get people in and out, but you aren’t any more rushed and you aren’t left wanting for anything.

It’s only 9.15pm, so I check my horizon and Pulse are playing in the live lounge. As I said there isn’t a lot on today, but Pulse seemed great earlier. I get a Fruit salad cocktail which might be a new favourite and some water.

It’s 70’s night which isn’t my genre but they are undeniably very talented. I watch until their set ends, then head towards my cabin. Watch my iPad for a bit then to sleep.
Old 20 Sep 21, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Sounds like a great first day to me - love the cocktail choices 😊

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 21, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Lovely first day
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 21, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
A great start!
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List