Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 16 May 22, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Andrea1
Apprentice Imagineer

Royal Caribbean (UK) Revolut Card

I'm not sure if people know this, but we are on the Anthem of the Seas in June from Southampton.

The other day I did online check in. When it came to Expenses, I thought I would try putting in mine and DWs Revolut Card numbers. I was'nt really expecting them to be accepted, but was pleasantly surprised when they both went through okay.

I now don't have to worry about using our Debit card and have problems with the bank putting on holds. All I need to do is transfer money from my Debit Card to my Revolut one and use that.

I know a few years ago they never used to accept prepaid cards, but it looks like they have changed it. Hope this helps others.
James
Andrea1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 22, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Ycryan
Imagineer

Ycryan's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 34
That's good to know, I just got myself a Revolut card last week. Still trying to work out how to use it though.
Old 16 May 22, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Andrea1
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ycryan View Post
That's good to know, I just got myself a Revolut card last week. Still trying to work out how to use it though.
We've had one each for about 3 years. It is quite easy. You link your Debit card to it, and when you log in to your Revolut card you can simply transfer money from your debit card, which is usually send instantly. You then just use it as a normal card anywhere you would use your Debit card.

The thing I like is that when you use it, you get instant notifications on your phone.

You can also transfer money back to your bank, which usually happens instantly as well, but can sometimes take up to an hour.

You also can transfer to different currencies and get the best exchange rates.

Hope this helps.
Andrea1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 22, 07:43 AM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Andrea1 View Post
I'm not sure if people know this, but we are on the Anthem of the Seas in June from Southampton.

The other day I did online check in. When it came to Expenses, I thought I would try putting in mine and DWs Revolut Card numbers. I was'nt really expecting them to be accepted, but was pleasantly surprised when they both went through okay.

I now don't have to worry about using our Debit card and have problems with the bank putting on holds. All I need to do is transfer money from my Debit Card to my Revolut one and use that.

I know a few years ago they never used to accept prepaid cards, but it looks like they have changed it. Hope this helps others.
James
Please take them off before you sail. Revolut will take money from your card for every hold Royal put on it.

This happened with me when we did a 14 night cruise Royal held 1700 on our card in various small amounts which showed as pending in Revolut. Then when the bill was settled Royal took another 1700 from our account so 3400 in total. The holding amounts were taken by Revolut from our account after 2 weeks back from holiday Revolut says it's not a credit card and so holding amounts have to be paid within 2 weeks.

It took 6 weeks for the money from Royal to appear back on our Revolut account.

RC company were not use because apparently in the US RC company drops the holding reserves fast whereas in the UK this can take 6 weeks to drop and it took every day of these 6 weeks.

I've just read on their site this information perhaps it's changed in the meantime...

A card payment is completed in two parts:

At the time of purchase, we deduct the money from your available balance and hold onto it for the merchant (seller) to collect, creating a “pending” transaction.
A few days later, the merchant collects the money and “completes” the payment.
We need to allow some time for merchants to “complete” a card payment. If a merchant does not collect the money within their timeframe (generally 8 to 16 days), we release the money back to your account. For me it was 6 weeks pending.

Edited at 07:53 AM.
jas72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 22, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Andrea1
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by jas72 View Post
Please take them off before you sail. Revolut will take money from your card for every hold Royal put on it.

This happened with me when we did a 14 night cruise Royal held 1700 on our card in various small amounts which showed as pending in Revolut. Then when the bill was settled Royal took another 1700 from our account so 3400 in total. The holding amounts were taken by Revolut from our account after 2 weeks back from holiday Revolut says it's not a credit card and so holding amounts have to be paid within 2 weeks.

It took 6 weeks for the money from Royal to appear back on our Revolut account.

RC company were not use because apparently in the US RC company drops the holding reserves fast whereas in the UK this can take 6 weeks to drop and it took every day of these 6 weeks.

I've just read on their site this information perhaps it's changed in the meantime...

A card payment is completed in two parts:

At the time of purchase, we deduct the money from your available balance and hold onto it for the merchant (seller) to collect, creating a “pending” transaction.
A few days later, the merchant collects the money and “completes” the payment.
We need to allow some time for merchants to “complete” a card payment. If a merchant does not collect the money within their timeframe (generally 8 to 16 days), we release the money back to your account. For me it was 6 weeks pending.
Thanks Jas for that information. I thought we had it all sorted, but we certainly can't afford for Revolut or Royal to put holds on our money.

I've already added the 2 Revolut cards to our online checkin, so I'm not sure if I can remove them now.

It may be that it would be better to transfer money from my Bank Debit card to my Revolut card and use it to withdraw cash from the ATM, and use that to add to our onboard account.

Do you think this would be best? Also, do you know how I can set up a cash account with Royal?

Thanks for your help
James

Edited at 10:43 AM.
Old 21 May 22, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
gavvy
Imagineer

RCCL also have a policy of charging in the currency of the actual card so they charged me in pounds at a random made up exchange rate. I only have $40 of charges so was not too annoyed. You don't get your check out bill until after you have left the ship so impossible to sort.
I think you can go to guest relations to change it to charge in USD before the last day .
Old 21 May 22, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Andrea1
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by gavvy View Post
RCCL also have a policy of charging in the currency of the actual card so they charged me in pounds at a random made up exchange rate. I only have $40 of charges so was not too annoyed. You don't get your check out bill until after you have left the ship so impossible to sort.
I think you can go to guest relations to change it to charge in USD before the last day .
Thanks Gavvy. That's good to know. I've managed to remove the revolut cards from the online check in, and replaced it with a Credit card that I don't use much. (I don't have much on it)

We've talked it over and decided to do a Cash account . It makes it easier for us. We will take some cash and deposit it with Guest Services, and then use my Bank Debit card to transfer money onto my Revolut card so that if I need cash on the ship for anything, I can withdraw it from the ATM and pay at Guest Services.

I know it sounds complicated, but I think I understand what I mean.🤔.

At least there should be no holds put on our money.
James
Old 27 May 22, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

I really don't know what happened again with us Andrea. I checked my e-mails from the time.

During our 14 night cruise we clocked up 1700$ of drinks and purchases on board.

I had my AMEX linked then went to pay the final bill with my Revolut.

However when I got to the desk they could not immediately make the payment but said not to worry it would go through automatically during the night. Then I noticed lots of random amounts during the night then the big amount and yes all payments were in £ at some terrible rate.

Old 28 May 22, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
gavvy
Imagineer

You have to ask before the last day to be billed in USD, it's very sneaky of them as its not mentioned you will be billed in £ at a made-up exchange rate
Old 5 Jun 22, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by gavvy View Post
You have to ask before the last day to be billed in USD, it's very sneaky of them as its not mentioned you will be billed in £ at a made-up exchange rate
Thanks Gavvy I will do we are sailing in July