Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 11 Jun 22, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by excitedbunny79 View Post
We did a day trip to San Fransisco from Vegas on Tuesday, we booked the tickets direct via Alcatraz website. If you're staying at Pier 39 it's a 5 minute walk to pier 33 where you pick up the boat to take you across. The boats to take you across are every half an hour.

Also another tip which we were given was download the 'Muni' app, you'll be able to buy cable car tickets there for the day, if you get off and on again, it's $8 each time! buy a day travel card on the App is $8 for the day and you can hop on an off as many times as you like, if you go to a kiosk it's a lot more expensive for the same ticket.
I just downloaded the app.
It appears to be $5 a day for travel without the cable car or $13 including the cable car

Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 22, 07:36 AM  
Link to this Post
bandofox
Helping Mickey

Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
It appears to be $5 a day for travel without the cable car or $13 including the cable car

Hi I used the app 3 weeks ago and you are correct.
All but one day we bought the $5 ticket. The other day we did buy the one including the cable cars so we could go on them at least once.
It is substantial cheaper than buying the same pass at the booths.

There are buses, trams and cable cars in San Francisco and the $5 ticket incudes buses and the historic trams.

There is a small free cable car museum that some of them go past as it’s where the underground cable is driven from.
bandofox is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 22, 07:46 AM  
Link to this Post
excitedbunny79
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by buryboy View Post

Yeah a miss type on my part, meant $13 and put $8 twice. I’ve changed it. It’s considerably cheaper buying from the App.

excitedbunny79 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 22, 07:52 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Be aware that Alcatraz tickets can sell out.
They go on sale 90 days in advance and I would suggest that you don’t hang around, particularly if wanting at a peak time.

We were there at Easter and people were turned away at the pier, having expected to simply purchase on the day.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 22, 07:52 AM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by excitedbunny79 View Post
Yeah a miss type on my part, meant $13 and put $8 twice. I’ve changed it. It’s considerably cheaper buying from the App.
No worries Claire .
I really appreciate the info as will definitely use that if we make it next year
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 22, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
vegboatride
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Imagineer2802 View Post
Hi all,

We’ve found finally booked a West Coast trip...San Francisco, Hollywood, Anaheim. I’m sure I’ll be be asking lots of questions as it’s a first for us.

My first question is : best place to book Alcatraz tickets? Do tickets include the boat across?

We are staying in Fishermans Wharf so not anticipating having to walk far!
We booked the first tour of the day for a quieter experience. Although we were unlucky, it was too windy and all trips were cancelled but we did manage to rebook for the next morning’s first trip. This was February time.
vegboatride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 22, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
sizzle
Very Serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 11
Originally Posted by Imagineer2802 View Post
Brilliant, thank you!

When in Hollywood, we are staying at Loews and want to do the Warner Bros Tour...is taxi the best way to get there?
We stayed at Loews and used Uber/Lyft to get to both Warner Bros and Universal and also when we moved over to Anaheim.
Old 20 Jun 22, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
jobelly
Imagineer

I thought I had booked with the official company but it’s not the one above it’s Alcatraz island tickets, when I’ve looked closer at my email it states it’s a booking company. I do have a confirmation of the tour and it states it’s a self guided tour of the rock but it cost me an extra $40 using the company. I can’t believe I didn’t realise it was wrong company.
Old 20 Jun 22, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
OliMax
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by jobelly View Post
I thought I had booked with the official company but it’s not the one above it’s Alcatraz island tickets, when I’ve looked closer at my email it states it’s a booking company. I do have a confirmation of the tour and it states it’s a self guided tour of the rock but it cost me an extra $40 using the company. I can’t believe I didn’t realise it was wrong company.
I feel your pain because I did exactly the same thing. Thought I had booked bogus tickets. Went on chat with the official site to check my booking was valid with this company and it was. So a lesson learned but not a complete disaster 😕.

Mum's 50th Disney California Style 2022!
MaxiPasty's 10th and Daddy's 50th Disney Easter
Olliebob's 10th Birthday Celebration Universal 2017!
OliMax is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 22, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Kateg28
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by scooby99 View Post
If you can, I’d totally recommend the ‘Behind the Scenes’ tour of Alcatraz.
Max of 30 in the group; you have a specific boat time and will be the only people on the boat over; around 18-20 on our tour.

Met at the dock on the other side by a ranger at around the time the final Day tour visitor boat is leaving and before the Night tour visitors can arrive.

Your tour gives you access with your ranger to many places roped off & which regular visitors aren’t allowed into; from memory, some are prisoners vegetable gardens, Officers gardens, hospital, workshop, laundry room, cinema, chapel, basement isolation cells.

You’ll get to the top & cell block around 15-30 minutes before the Night tour visitors can make it there so your small group & ranger will have it to yourselves before they crowd in; a big bonus.
The ranger will do the opening & closing of all the cell doors at once with that ominous sound just for your group.

You then do the Cellhouse audio tour & Night tour!
Worth every penny.
Totally agree with this. The Behind the Scenes Tour was incredible.
Kateg28 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List