Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 16 Jun 22, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SarasotaScottie View Post
When I chatted with the sunpass agent on live chat I attached a photo and they confirmed it was in the correct place. They did say that it was possible the rental car version had overridden mine. Initially I didn’t think that was possible as we were very careful not to open the Avis e-toll unit (which it stated you needed to before passing through a toll) however one thing I noticed was that on the back of the Avis unit, and clearly visible from the outside (when facing the windscreen) were at least two bar codes so I’m now thinking that the agent was right.
They did say it was possible I’d done everything correctly as this wasnt the first time they had received the same query.

So looks like either the transponder was faulty or Avis equipment takes precedent.
My guess is faulty transponder.

We’ve used our Sunpass Pro on 2 Florida trips & we always rent from Avis.

On those 2 trips, we closed the Avis box & placed the transponder immediately below it; a pic from our most recent trip:

In total we’ve gone through around 12 tolls with the funds being deducted from our Sunpass account & none charged by Avis.

We wouldn’t be without it now; more than paid for itself with a discount of around a third on tolls paid via Sunpass plus the convenience plus it being usable in many states in the Eastern half of the US.

Edited at 10:16 PM.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 22, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
SarasotaScottie
Helping Minnie

An update on the Avis invoice as you no longer get the printout at the drop off. As the $105 credit card charge didn’t correlate to the estimated $80 fuel fee I have been waiting for the invoice which I requested (one email and one online form request) on 7th June. It finally arrived yesterday and the fuel was in fact $80.95 which was in line with what I expected . Even taking account the tax it didn’t make sense and there was no obvious charge making up the difference so I emailed a query .

Avis have responded today to advise that by choosing the prepaid fuel option it recalculates the whole rental and the voucher supplied by BA had a maximum amount which no longer covered the rental so the difference ($18 odds) was charged to my credit card along with the fuel.

I have zero appetite in contacting BA (am still waiting on a response to a claim I made in January for out of pocket expenses on a delayed flight) and can’t imagine pursuing it will result in any joy but wanted to flag it up to others.

It’s really sharp practice and I imagine many people will be caught out unwittingly by taking additional services not realizing the implications.

I’ll be avoiding Avis in future and where I can’t I certainly won’t be taking the prepaid fuel in future, regardless of how convenient/fairly priced it appears to be.
SarasotaScottie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 22, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

An update on the Avis invoice as you no longer get the printout at the drop off. As the $105 credit card charge didn’t correlate to the estimated $80 fuel fee I have been waiting for the invoice which I requested (one email and one online form request) on 7th June. It finally arrived yesterday and the fuel was in fact $80.95 which was in line with what I expected . Even taking account the tax it didn’t make sense and there was no obvious charge making up the difference so I emailed a query .

Avis have responded today to advise that by choosing the prepaid fuel option it recalculates the whole rental and the voucher supplied by BA had a maximum amount which no longer covered the rental so the difference ($18 odds) was charged to my credit card along with the fuel.

I have zero appetite in contacting BA (am still waiting on a response to a claim I made in January for out of pocket expenses on a delayed flight) and can’t imagine pursuing it will result in any joy but wanted to flag it up to others.

It’s really sharp practice and I imagine many people will be caught out unwittingly by taking additional services not realizing the implications.

I’ll be avoiding Avis in future and where I can’t I certainly won’t be taking the prepaid fuel in future, regardless of how convenient/fairly priced it appears to be.
We’ve never had that happen and have pre paid fuel a few times including BA bookings.

In May we had a car from Budget, pre paid fuel and on return to the garage I was send an email immediately with the invoice, couldn’t open it so I asked to a printout at the desk. Just the fuel charge was there as expected. This one wasn’t a BA booking but was 3rd party.

As budget and Avis are the same company you’d think they’d be the same. Maybe not though I guess.

I’ll certainly ask for our next booking as that is BA Avis and we’ll want to pre pay fuel again.
Bellasmummy is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 22, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
MarkUK
Imagineer

Really doesn’t sit right that with me. Definitely won’t be taking the pre paid fuel option now in October. Thanks for the update
MarkUK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List