Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 Jun 22, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Abbysmum
Apprentice Imagineer

I'd definitely echo the steps recommendations, I've followed TeamRH and you don't have to get your steps in all at once. You can break it up and do a couple of 1000 in the morning, get up from your desk and get a few steps in around the office. If you look on Youtube for TeamRH steps, there are lots of step videos that cater for everyone.
Abbysmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 22, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Itsabunthing
Apprentice Imagineer

I was the same as you, wanted to get fit but found the gym slightly, for want of a better word, intimidating. I took the plunge and booked a couple of sessions with one of the personal trainers there (yep, fit, buff, young, everything I was not!) who asked what I wanted to achieve and then came up with a plan that would suit me.

The PT showed me how to use each piece of equipment, made sure I was doing it correctly so it worked for me and caused no damage. She also pointed out that I had made the first step in being fitter by actually being there and pretty much everyone else just wanted the same as me.

I now go five days a week, get my cardio fix on the treadmill for 20 minutes then machines and free weights for 40 minutes. Upper body one day, lower body the next day. i feel better than I have ever done.

Also, the staff at any gym don't want any injuries on their shift so most are more than happy to explain how a piece of equipment works and how to use it.

I must admit, I'm still slightly self-conscious, but figure what the heck - at least I'm doing it!

Edited at 07:47 PM.
Itsabunthing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 22, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
The Prophet
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by Itsabunthing View Post
I was the same as you, wanted to get fit but found the gym slightly, for want of a better word, intimidating. I took the plunge and booked a couple of sessions with one of the personal trainers there (yep, fit, buff, young, everything I was not!) who asked what I wanted to achieve and then came up with a plan that would suit me.

The PT showed me how to use each piece of equipment, made sure I was doing it correctly so it worked for me and caused no damage. She also pointed out that I had made the first step in being fitter by actually being there and pretty much everyone else just wanted the same as me.

I now go five days a week, get my cardio fix on the treadmill for 20 minutes then machines and free weights for 40 minutes. Upper body one day, lower body the next day. i feel better than I have ever done.

Also, the staff at any gym don't want any injuries on their shift so most are more than happy to explain how a piece of equipment works and how to use it.

I must admit, I'm still slightly self-conscious, but figure what the heck - at least I'm doing it!
This is the best way. Lifting weights whether free weights or machine, combined with healthy eating is the best way to not only lose weight but also look good. Having a PT especially in the early days is important to learn how to lift safely and effectively.

I have been a gym buff for many years and im lucky enough to have my own. I do not do a lot of cardio these days, I should do more, but I know lifting and eating right is basically life on cheat mode.

I do not eat processed foods and try to get at least 100g of protein minimum each day. My meals are usually 1/3 protein (usually chicken), 1/3 carbs and 1/3 veg. You cannot go wrong with this. Not only will protein help build and maintain muscle, your body uses more calories to actually digest it.

I would prioritise diet as number 1, then lifting, then cardio if you like, even walking. A lot of women are put off lifting because they do not want to "get big". I think many people underestimate how hard this is to achieve, especially for females.

I have work colleagues busting their guts at the gym 5 days a week but they are still overweight because they are trying to out-train a bad diet, which is never going to happen.
The Prophet is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 22, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

Calorie count stop eating bread cakes sugar. And walk

Or try this

vm.tiktok/ZMNhoMbyh/?k=1

Edited at 12:34 PM.
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 22, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

I'd echo the my fitnessPal tracking (weigh food don't estimate) , then getting in the steps, then weights for exercise in that order.
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 22, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
jasminedivas
Apprentice Imagineer

jasminedivas's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I’ve lost 21lbs since November, I’ve always been quite active but I changed to strength training and counting macros, which is the same as Team RH. I follow Caroline Girvan on you tube and I can’t believe the difference this and the macros have made. I have about 5lbs to lose now, I walk about 8-10,000 steps a day too.

Comfort Inn LBV 1999, All Star movies 2003/4/6. Villas 2007/8/9/10/12. Wash DC NYE 2012, NY and LV 14. Orlando, NYC & IAD 15, Orlando & beach 16,17. NY & IAD 2019. West coast 2022 planned.
jasminedivas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 22, 11:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Bolto6
Imagineer

I started Weight Watchers 2 weeks ago, and have lost nearly 9lbs. I also go swimming twice a week at lunchtime, 30 min swim burns 500-600 calories, for me I’ve found I’m getting more out of that than the gym while I shift the fat, once the fat is reduced, I’ll then head back into the gym to tone up.

I also try and do the school pick up twice a week as well, that’s a 1 mile round trip, and with a 7 year old takes about 20 minutes.
2026 - maybe...
Bolto6 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 22, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
theotherblonde
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

I go to the gym on my own and I HATE classes! I like to do my own thing and I am also going for weight loss. 10 pounds down since January.

My advice would be to invest in a few personal trainnng sessions to have someone show you a programme and how to do things that you can go and do on your own. I do 30 mins of cardio (10 x X trainer, uphill walk on treadmill and rowing machine each). I follow this with some HITT training. One example is treadmill run 1 min, 10 kettle bell swings, 10 squats and a wall sit (need a tread mill near a wall) and I repeat this x3. Another is, lunges x 20, Mountain climbers x 20, jumping jacks with little dumbbell. There are so many variations you can do.

I recommended also checking out @oliviaostrom_ on Instagram. She posts workouts where she has videos of each individual exercise for each routine and you can save them on Instagram. She also captions it with what body part you are working out.

The only other thing I would say is that you need to enjoy your work out. If someone is making you dread the gym then don’t do that thing.

For weight loss I don’t do slimming world or weight watchers etc so can’t comment on those. I just try to watch my calories, choose healthier options and less snacks. This is generally what I eat.

Breakfast: Warburtons bagel (130cal) with jam or cereal.

Lunch: Tomato and basil soup from Tesco with 2 x French bread rolls (small) that you put in the oven or a 400cal sandwich or chicken wrap.

Dinner: I tend to each the count on us range from M&S as they do lasagne, pizza, cottage pie, curries etc all under 400cals. I also batch cook meals for the week and just watch portion sizes. One cup of rice for example is 200 cals.

Snacks: I buy the multiple bags of crisps that are individually smaller so have around 130 cals per bags for walkers for example. There are also so many snacks that come into less 100cal such as sponge bears, and you tend to see these in the sweet aisle where the kids multi pack sweets are. I used to snack all day but now I only have say 2 snacks and keep it for the evening when I need it most.

I tend to follow this pattern Monday-Friday. At the weekends for dinner I like a Sainsburys fresh thin base pizza with say chicken and peppers as half of this is around 500cal and I don’t have other sides such as chips.

When eating out I like Costa for their low cal toasties and in subway always go for the wrap and not sub option. Its not always easy. Yesterdays I had to be strong and stop myself from going for a buffet. I do treat myself and it’s hard to be strict all the time but trying to be more disciplined this month.

Download myfitness pal and also just get more steps in as this does make a difference.

I hope you enjoy your fitness and health journey and don’t give up as you can achieve it.
theotherblonde is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List