Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 28 Jun 22, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
MillieB just to add, when you say go through a "broker" next time TBH you would be in the exact same position apart from the Broker would be dealing with the Owner but you would still be out of pocket to the same amount- the Broker is still the "middleman" & it still comes down to what the owner wants/can do IYKWIM
I know from DVCfan that VGC is hard to get so I'd be hopeful of some sort of resolution, the only thing "against" the change to WDW is the lack availability at the minute
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 22, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
A few things when renting.

Always get name, address, email telephone number. Never just go on Dibb message service.
I would never give a renter my address, I always give my mobile / WhatsApp number and email address, but I don't think any renter needs to know an owners home address. My first ever rental was in 2006 via the Disboards to an American, so they didn't even have a contact number, it was all done via email, no WhatsApp / iMessage back then!

I do agree though to get numbers / email addresses, it's all about communication, it's a transaction based on trust, my renters will only wait for a reply if I'm at work, on a plane or asleep otherwise I will always respond as close to immediately as possible, it's what I'd want if I was renting points from someone.

I hope you've managed to get hold of your owner and that he's able to re rent the reservation.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 22, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Hope you get it sorted.

This round of bookings I made my conditions as flexible and fair as possible. Of the 4 bookings I took 2 of them cancelled. All OK with me, they were within the cancellation window I had setout and everyone was happy.

Being a GFV that should be resealable quite quickly.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 22, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Milliebob
VIP Dibber

I've followed some of your advice and I can see that they logged in yesterday, but still no response.

I'm sure they have good reason but a response at least would be nice.
Disneyland Paris - Jan 2016, May 2019, June 2022, July 2022, Nov 2022
Next trip - Drury Inn Universal, Beach Club, Pop, Vero Beach, Grand Floridian, All Star Movies
Milliebob is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 22, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodlez
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
I would never give a renter my address, I always give my mobile / WhatsApp number and email address, but I don't think any renter needs to know an owners home address. My first ever rental was in 2006 via the Disboards to an American, so they didn't even have a contact number, it was all done via email, no WhatsApp / iMessage back then!

I do agree though to get numbers / email addresses, it's all about communication, it's a transaction based on trust, my renters will only wait for a reply if I'm at work, on a plane or asleep otherwise I will always respond as close to immediately as possible, it's what I'd want if I was renting points from someone.

I hope you've managed to get hold of your owner and that he's able to re rent the reservation.
I’ve seen this advice before and I completely agree! I’ll happily give my name and email address, but there’s no way I’m giving a complete stranger my home address, particularly someone from a board where I post about being on holiday!

Milliebob, as others have mentioned, you wouldn’t have had any more luck with a broker. I regularly rent my points through one and I believe the only thing they would contact an owner for is to add a dining plan (back when they existed!). The only option really is insurance.

I hope the owner contacts you anyway, even if just to acknowledge that they’ve seen your message.
Noodlez is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 22, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

OP I am so sorry and hope that this gets resolved.

It doesn’t help you now but always get contact details and a contract.

My renters have me phone number, email address and contract and I will always help if I can.

Keep trying, they might not get checking their dibb messages.

Have they been on here a long time? How many stars do they have?
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 22, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

It would be usual to have name and address on any similar types of contract. Both parties. It would be unusual in such a contractual relationship not to list name and address on the contract. It’s standard contractual principles.
I have my own contracts, covering everything reasonably foreseeable so both sides know where they stand.
Frankly as a renter I would never rent from anyone where I didn’t know their address and they were for some reason not wanting to give it. Who would I go after if they tried to rip me off? How do I check them out with pre contractual due diligence? There is a way but many may not know (see below).
Just an email and phone number is very risky from a renters point of view.
In any event any renter can put the name of any owner into the comptroller website and see the deed with their then address on it anyway. Something else I would always recommend a renter does as part of the due diligence checks.

Edited at 08:11 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 22, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
It would be usual to have name and address on any similar types of contract. Both parties. It would be unusual in such a contractual relationship not to list name and address on the contract. It’s standard contractual principles.
I have my own contracts, covering everything reasonably foreseeable so both sides know where they stand.
Frankly as a renter I would never rent from anyone where I didn’t know their address and they were for some reason not wanting to give it. Who would I go after if they tried to rip me off? How do I check them out with pre contractual due diligence? There is a way but many may not know (see below).
Just an email and phone number is very risky from a renters point of view.
In any event any renter can put the name of any owner into the comptroller website and see the deed with their then address on it anyway. Something else I would always recommend a renter does as part of the due diligence checks.
Wise words. No difference renting DVC Points to renting a Villa where you can check who the owner is, their tax status and their home address.

No such thing as trusting people in life. Buyer beware is my motto. Never let me down yet.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 22, 06:47 AM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9

Totally agree with this there's no need for a renter to have anything apart from your name, phone number and email address. I would hope that I come across completely genuine and always respond asap to any questions and would do my upmost to resolve any issues to the best of my ability. If, after communicating with me, they still feel the need to verify that I actually own my points all they need to do is type my first and last name into the Florida Comptroller's Office web site. Having the renters address is totally unnecessary and I'd have no problems walking away from a deal if the rentee insisted, after all, I know I'm genuine, and I know I would have way more inquiries than the amount of points I'd have to rent.

To the OP, sorry that you still haven't had a response.

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 22, 07:18 AM  
Link to this Post
°o°-Hannah-°o°
Imagineer

°o°-Hannah-°o°'s Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
In this situation I’m not sure what the renter can do other than attempt to resell the booking to try and get you some sort of refund, all of which is more work and stress for them, with very little time to come up with a booking as the points would expire within 60 days of your cancellation.
I have rented out points several times and always stipulate no refunds because it’s awkward, time consuming and very stressful to sort out. A broker wouldn’t be refunding either, and if the renter took this route to try and help it would come with a fee.
Yea the renter could reply to your messages but they probably feel uncomfortable with the potential fall out by telling you there is nothing they can do. After all, you’re the one that has changed your plans.