Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 21 Oct 19, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

The BIG Little Lies California Road Trip - 31st July 2019 - San Diego, Shopping & Kansas City BBQ

Day 14

I woke to the alarm at 7.30. Today I was off to San Diego on the train on my own.

Originally Helen was coming with me but she desperately needed a lie in, then Hope said she’d come but she woke up shattered so I told her to stay in bed. So it was me, myself and I. Jim wasn’t that happy about me going on my own but I explained that I travel into central London on my own and that I would be absolutely fine! The plan was he would meet me later on in San Diego with the kids and we would go to the Premium Outlets on the border of Mexico then the Leans would drive down this evening to meet us for dinner.

I got myself ready then left at just after 8.30. It was a very easy 20 minute walk to the train station. I have to admit to thinking a few times on the walk am I totally crazy doing this on my own, but soon got my big girl pants on and realised I would regret not going once I was home.
I did get excited seeing another Hawaii license plate though!

I bought l myself a one way ticket to Santa Fe which is the last stop in San Diego. This was $5.50 and the machine was very easy to use.

I found the right platform but asked a couple sitting waiting just to make sure. The train was there but they weren’t letting anyone on yet. After hearing my accent they asked where I was from and I had a good chat with them about our holiday so far. The doors opened at 9.30 and we boarded together and sat upstairs. I ended up chatting to them for the entire hours train journey. They were just so lovely.

They were a retired couple called Tim and Lori, they had 7 boys between them and 18 grandchildren ranging between 23 and 3 . They loved Europe and have travelled there quite a bit. The time flew by and before we knew it the train was pulling into the station. The only trouble was I only took two photos and that was only because Tim pointed out the famous Del Mar racetrack. It was a shame as the train goes along the coast with some beautiful views of the Pacific. It was so lovely chatting to them though.

We got off and bid each other farewell. I got my bearings and made my way down to the waterfront and to the Old Town Trolley Tour stop.

It was only a 5 minute walk to the waterfront area of Embercado, all very straightforward. I bought a one day ticket from the office and the lady said the next bus would be in about 15 minutes. Perfect, just enough time for a wee and a few photos.

Bus soon arrived and I was first onboard. Our Trolley driver was called Jack from North Carolina and he ended up being an excellent guide who was very witty.

We went past the USS Midway which is huge! It was used in the Korean and Vietnam wars but not WW2 which is commonly thought.

Then past the Unconditional Surrender statue of the famous photograph from the end of WW2. Photos of both later on, I was sat on the wrong side of the bus to take any decent ones!

Next stop was Seaport village. Some nice looking shops around here.
San Diego was the first city in California and the west coast of North America. The Spanish were the first to found it, they beat the English, French and Dutch

We'll be going here later!

This Fountain was the first to have water and electricity together

The gold on the exterior of this hotel is actually 24 Carot gold not gold leaf!

This is the Gaslamp quarter. The street lights are replicas of the original gas lamps. Lovely area around here.

This is the Convention centre where they hold Comic Con every year.

Petco Park, home of the MLB team San Diego Padres.

We now went over Coronado bridge. It was opened in 1969 by Nancy and Ronald Reagan and they were the first people to cross it. It also used to be a toll bridge.

It was a bit windy

Coronado Island is actually it’s own town founded in 1888, 150 years after San Diego was first built. As there were no Springs or fresh water it had to be pumped over. The Average house price in California is $450,000 but on Coronado it’s $1.8 million!

We made a stop at the very famous Hotel Del Coronado and I got off as I wanted a nosey around the grounds. Humphrey Bogurt, Lauren McCall, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are amongst the famous to stay at the hotel.
It’s reported that King Edward VIII met and fell in love with Wallis Simpson at this hotel. They came back every year for 30 years to celebrate the day they met!

It looks just like the Grand Floridian from the outside, in fact the GF was modelled on this very hotel. It also featured in the film Some Like It Hot. The reception area is just so dark though, nothing like the GF. You almost need a head torch to see where you’re going!

I walked through and had a look around the outside grounds before asking for directions for somewhere to eat.

The Concierge pointed me in the right direction to the bar, cafe and restaurant. I needed to go downstairs and along a very long corridor to get there. This place is huge!

I had a look at the menu for the restaurant but as I wanted just a snack I ended up at a little bakery they have inside.

I got a sausage muffin, slice of lemon cake and a Diet Coke. $23 . Daylight flipping robbery! I took this outside and did my favourite pastime of people watching while I ate.

Once done I had a quick look in the hotel gift shops but as everything was horrifically overpriced I didn’t buy anything. Shocking I know

I walked back towards the Trolley stop now and popped into another couple of gift shops on the way.

Bought the obligatory magnet and postcard. I really wanted one of these Highway 1 painted signs but didn’t want to buy without showing Jim first.

I didn’t wait long for the next bus which was good as it was getting very hot out!

Our new driver was very good but he spoke very quickly and with a slight slur so I couldn’t quite get everything he said.
Back over the bridge

This is the busiest McDonalds in America. Doesn’t look like much but is opposite these 2 places

Our first stop was round to Balboa Park, I wish I had more time as I would have loved to of got off and explored. They call it the Smithsonian of the West Coast as it has 16 museums including San Diego Natural History and San Diego Museum of Art. It’s the largest city park and covers 1200 acres with 65 miles of hiking trails. It also houses the San Diego Zoo.

This is the Spreckels Organ Pavilion, one of the largest outdoor organs in the world.

We now went through Little Italy, this is bigger than the San Fran, NY and St Louis ones altogether! They say there will be 3 times as many residents in 10 years time. There’s no more land so lots of high rises going up to accommodate them.

Now onto Old Town where everyone had to get off as it’s the last stop and the drivers legally need a break after 2 hours. Took the chance to have a look around.

Old Town has a very authentic Spanish influence. It would have been nice to have had more time there. I bought 2 magnets from a gift shop. Loads of bright coloured gifts if you’re into that sort of thing!

It was about 2.30 and Jim messaged to say he was on his way with Hope, Sam and Jen. It’s about a 45-50 minute drive from Oceanside so said I’d meet him in Seaport Village car park.
Back on another trolley I only went one stop to get off at Embercado where I got on this morning.

Went past the airport, the planes land right in front of you

I saw this Coast Guard helicopter land. Apparently they’re one of the busiest units in the US searching fishing boats, submarines and ships for drug smuggling between Mexico and the US.

Once off the bus I tipped $10 then walked all along the harbour front past the USS Midway and the Unconditional Surrender statue all the way to Seaport Village.

The Sailor and the nurse were in fact total strangers but a photographer captured the kiss thinking they were a couple. She wasn’t actually a nurse but a dental hygienist though. The story goes that after the news the war was over her boss gave her the rest of the day off so she went straight from work in her uniform to the celebration with her boyfriend. Luckily the kiss didn’t end up causing a problem as she ended up marrying him! The photo grew to fame by being on the cover on Life magazine.

I had just enough time to pop into the Village Hat shop where I was after a cowboy hat and I found one. A complete bargain too at $28! You’ll see me wear it tomorrow.

Jim now called to say he was in the car park by the Cheesecake Factory so I walked over to find him.
I plugged in the Las America’s Premium Outlets into the Sat Nav and it said a 30 minute drive. I updated them all on my very lovely day I had had so far.
Jen and Hope were clearly bored with my stories

It was a very interesting journey driving almost to the Mexican border! If we had a spare couple of days I would have liked to of gone over to Tijuana to explore.

We parked very easily for free, again take note Orlando outlets!
About 90% of the cars had Mexican license plates, I guess this is where they come to do their clothes’ shopping
These outlets were great, very spacious and clean and most of all not busy.

I went and picked up a savings passport as part of being a VIP customer.
We started in the food court as the others were starving. Sam had a Chicken teriyaki sub from Philly Cheesesteak and a strawberry lemonade. I just had a lemonade as I wanted to save myself for our dinner later. Jim, Hope and Jen got a Subway.

Once done we made our way round to Tommy Hilfiger. Again nothing grabbed my fancy but Jim got some swim shorts, Hope got 2 T-shirt’s and Sam a polo shirt. Altogether this came to $90.42. We had an Extra 10% discount over a $100 spend.

Sunglasses Hut next. Sam was after some Ray Bans. He spent ages choosing which aviators he wanted, he was ever so vain posing in the mirror with each pair taking a selfie each time
He found a pair of polarised ones which were $203 with $30 off. The shop assistant mentioned if we bought a second pair we would get a 30% discount plus I could use the 10% discount in the book so as I had been umming and aahing for a while now about buying another pair I found some aviators too. Sam was most put out that his mum would have exactly the same glasses as him just a slightly different tinted lens . These were polarised too. For both pairs they came to $305 so Sam and I went halves each.

Sam's

Mine

Very happy with our purchases we went into Hugo boss, Jim bought a cap. $46.33
Into Armani where Sam got T-shirt for the insane price of $61.42!

Calvin Klein next and Sam bought a bargain towel for $17.02.

I had a quick look in the Disney Store but nothing took my fancy

Now into Nike where I lost the will to live but Sam bought some socks for $16.16 and Hope got some leggings and a sports bra for $67.86.

I wanted to go into Billabong to find the pullover I was after. They didn’t stock it but I came away with a dress and a play suit which were buy one get one free so $59.21 altogether.

Hollister now for Hope where she bought a top and a tube top for $45.15.

We were nearly done but Hope wanted to check in American eagle where she bought a T-shirt for $8.60

Jen had bought a rain coat in North Face for $53.34 but I don’t have a photo of this.

We were all shopped out so made our way back to the car at about 7.30. Helen had text to say they were in San Diego. We were running a bit late, oops!

Got back into the city just after 8 and parked in Seaport Village where Jim had picked me up earlier.
The Leans had already got a table at Kansas City BBQ across the road so we quickly made our way there.

For those of you that don’t know, this is the restaurant featured in mine, Jim and Helen’s all time favourite film Top Gun. When Goose plays the piano and sings Great Balls of Fire and at the end of the film where Kelly McGillis puts quarters in the juke box and her and Tom Cruise rekindle were the 2 scenes that put this bar on the map. Can you tell I’m a fan

There are so many photos and memorabilia in here, a fab vibe and great menu.

A very friendly server took our order. I went with the combo meal with pulled pork, chicken, fries and corn. Jim the combo with smoked sausage and spare ribs with fries and slaw. Both kids had a hotdog meal.
Took copious amounts of photos while we were waiting.

Food was amazing, so tender and I ate every last morsel. The Bill came to $97 including tip. The same price as last night but 100 times better!

They sold merchandise so naturally we wanted in on that! Jim got a cap, T-shirt and sticker $42, me a vest top and postcard $22 and Helen a vest and cap. We were very happy. Jim and Helen put theirs on straight away
The barman asked if we wanted our photo taken behind the bar so clearly that was a big fat YES! I love these photos.

Bro and Sis

We weren’t ready to go back to Oceanside yet and fancied something sweet so found a Ghiradelli's in the Gaslamp Quarter on Fifth St that was only a 15 minute walk so we headed in that direction.

This area is very picturesque at night.

We found a table and decided what to choose.

Sam and I shared the Crissy Field, Jim had the Treasure Island and Hope a Vanilla milkshake. You go to order up at the till then they bring it over. $34 altogether

Dear Lord this was good, I could have had one to myself

Once done we walked back to the cars and made our way back to Oceanside.

We needed to stop for petrol so pulled in to the nearest gas station before getting on the Highway 5.
Now I normally pay and Jim fills up but tonight it was the other way around. I don’t know what I was thinking but I started putting Diesel in instead of unleaded! I completely forgot the colours are the opposite way around in the US
Jim as you can imagine wasn't happy, but he reckoned it would be ok as it was only $7 worth. We filled the rest of the tank with $45 of unleaded and prayed it would get us home!
It was the most tense 45 minute drive but we made it! Woohoo . Will top it up with more petrol in the morning to try and dilute it even more.

When we pulled into the parking garage some idiot had parked his mustang in our space. Not what we needed at midnight! On his parking permit he wasn’t even in our block he was over in E and his space was 920, not B block space 381. How can you get that wrong, moron

Jim wanted to just block him in but we found a security guard who radioed it in and told us to park in the 24 hour spot. He was a lovely guy who said he would get his colleague to bang on his door and get him to move it, he didn’t care if it woke him up. He would then give him a $50 fine. Ha!

We were straight to bed once we got in and I was fast asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow after today’s very long but amazing day in San Diego

Edited at 12:14 PM.
smithlane is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Mobile

What a fab day. I've been looking forward to reading how you got on in San Diego. I went there when I was 16. I stayed with friends of the family and me and their daughter aged 15 did the same tour as you. I remember walking around the hotel and the bridge which used to be a toll bridge...anyway it brings back memories. We did go to Tijuana my friends don't like to go now as apparently it's not as safe as it used to be.

I was also really keen to read about the Top Gun bar I've never been there and it sounds fab. What a great night. It seems like you had an amazing time in San Diego.

I'd love to take Dave and the kids there and I'm sure it has changed a lot in the last 25 odd years. One day!

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Macca04
Imagineer

Hoping to spend three/four days in San Diego next year, I may consider staying for two nights Oceanside with two nights in SD.

Edited at 03:10 PM.
Macca04 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
What a fab day. I've been looking forward to reading how you got on in San Diego. I went there when I was 16. I stayed with friends of the family and me and their daughter aged 15 did the same tour as you. I remember walking around the hotel and the bridge which used to be a toll bridge...anyway it brings back memories. We did go to Tijuana my friends don't like to go now as apparently it's not as safe as it used to be.

I was also really keen to read about the Top Gun bar I've never been there and it sounds fab. What a great night. It seems like you had an amazing time in San Diego.

I'd love to take Dave and the kids there and I'm sure it has changed a lot in the last 25 odd years. One day!
Thank you Abby!
I can highly recommend you going. I bet it would be really interesting to you to see what has changed after all those years.
That’s interesting about Tijuana. I’m glad we didn’t make time for it now that it may not be that safe!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Macca04 View Post
Hoping to spend three/four days in San Diego next year, I may consider staying for two nights Oceanside with two nights in SD.
That would be a perfect mix of time. I would have loved to of spent longer in SD, I only scratched the surface in a day!

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 2 Nov 19, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

What a fantastic day. Loved all your pics and stories from your solo sightseeing, just brilliant and then excellent shopping and the bar from Top Gun. Omg possibly best holiday day ever! Really need to get ourselves to this place.
Grr to the numpty parking in your space. I’m with Jim and blocking him in. 😉
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 12:27 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
What a fantastic day. Loved all your pics and stories from your solo sightseeing, just brilliant and then excellent shopping and the bar from Top Gun. Omg possibly best holiday day ever! Really need to get ourselves to this place.
Grr to the numpty parking in your space. I’m with Jim and blocking him in. 😉
I have to say it was one of my favourite days, I just loved San Diego. Without sounding really mean it was lovely to spend a bit of time on my own. I could do what I wanted, when I wanted with no teens or men moaning
The Top Gun bar was just the perfect end to the day, I couldn't believe we were sat in the same place they filmed those scenes!
Haha if we hadn't found the security guard I think Jim really would have just left the car there

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 3 Nov 19, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
I have to say it was one of my favourite days, I just loved San Diego. Without sounding really mean it was lovely to spend a bit of time on my own. I could do what I wanted, when I wanted with no teens or men moaning
So get this. I have a holiday FOMO companion. Doesn’t really want to sightsee but doesn’t want to stay back either ... just in case
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 19, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 16

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 78
What a fantastic day you had! A lovely little solo trip around then finishing the day with family. The Top Gun bar looked ace!
Glad the car was ok I wouldn't know which was petrol or diesel
juliab is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 19, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by juliab View Post
What a fantastic day you had! A lovely little solo trip around then finishing the day with family. The Top Gun bar looked ace!
Glad the car was ok I wouldn't know which was petrol or diesel
Today was one of my favourite days, I just LOVED San Diego. We will definitely come back as I only just scratched the surface.

Its very confusing as in the US, petrol is from the black pump and diesel green so the complete opposite to over here

IG - alicialanesmith