Car/bike 3 1.01%
Other 14 4.71%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25 Jul 20, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post
The 11k was a random amount hubby just plucked out. Ours came to £8.5k for four for three weeks flights,car,villa, Disney which was the most expensive single thing really and then our expenses.
You got good deal with virgin tho. Mine was £4.2 without Disney this year and next year for some time is ridiculous money.

I was just being nosy cos it was such a good price.
Have you looked at Virgin packages, the prices are not much different for '21 than '20? Happy hunting
Old 25 Jul 20, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by greekgranny View Post
Have you looked at Virgin packages, the prices are not much different for '21 than '20? Happy hunting
I looked a few weeks back. Was a lot for the same times at this year.

Not like I can do anything but look for now as we won’t go whilst everything is up in the air but I like to nosy at prices and ba seemed to be the best at the moment.

£4.2 for 2020. Same times,villa,car etc £5.8 for 2021.
Big difference
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 20, 12:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Purely from a villas owners point of view
Do I spend that £thousands on the villa or in this house
We=have a lovely home here but villa always wins for spare cash as we want every one who stays in the villa to have that little bit of living the Florida Dream even if it’s just 2 weeks
So I can’t vote
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 20, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

Mobile

I don’t like conservatories so that’s an easy choice ha! We are moving house this year so I was gutted that Florida was cancelled meaning that money would have to be spent on the house. Thankfully with the way things have aligned that hasn’t had to happen and we can move and still keep it Florida money for Florida when the world sorts itself out. It’s still important to us to have a nice home as obviously we are in it more, especially at the moment!

Holidays are very important to me, having kids young we didn’t have the money until a few years ago and now we save a substantial amount to ensure we can go. My DH wasn’t too keen on the amount as his priority is a nice car (I couldn’t care less about the car!) so we’ve compromised by moving to a cheaper area so we can have the house we want, and put the amount we are happy with towards cars and holidays.

I hate spending money on boring things like houses and cars, so we have a new build house in the hope no major maintenance for a long time (well not paid by us anyway!) and will pay out a fair chunk for a new-ish car.
GoldenAvalanche is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 20, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
For a big thing like a conservatory, I'd choose that, but for smaller non essential home improvements / purchases I'd choose the holiday.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 20, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
discoclare
Excited about Disney

I would choose the holiday. We have needed a new kitchen and new bathroom since we moved in six years ago! But every year we choose the holidays (it's partly the idea of the hassle of getting a new kitchen and bathroom which makes us defer as well). The home improvements will get done eventually, but for now our family holidays are the most important thing to us. The kids don't care how the kitchen looks, we are briefly embarrassed when we have visitors and are often telling people how "we must get round to have the kitchen done", but we all love our holidays.
discoclare is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 20, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

I totally understand what you mean and I’m the same. I wouldn’t think twice of spending £2k on something holiday related (flights, hotels, tickets etc) but I’m really holding out from spending that on new sofas that would be sat on every day for years!

I’d love an expensive handbag and I have my eye on a Gucci bag that costs £800. I would use it every day for a few years and just can’t part with that much money for a bag, however, I spend that on one day MK tickets and dessert party last December (4 people).

We all have different ways we spend our money, and some people prefer to save. I prefer holidays, others prefer having a beautiful home, or garden, or cosmetic surgery, or cars, or motorbikes, or paintings. Our differences make us interesting!
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 20, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

Our dilemma/ choice is hot tub or holiday Well, my dilemma as I'm the one who is the saver In The house. We don't have much in savings normally as we tend to spend on Florida hol every 2 years and neither of us have high paid jobs as such. But last 12 months have been good at my work even in lockdown so bonus payments each month have been adding up. Just bought a motorcycle as a treat for me . Our hol this year canceled to gran canaria. So I'm sitting on a bit of saving that could be a proper nice hot tub or our next Florida hol maybe next year. I'm very slow at making any decision as I always research to the enth degree before purchasing anything.
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 20, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Michyloulou
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Twin mummy View Post
Different things have taken priority at different times. We've held off improvements for holidays and vice versa. Currently our priority is making sure we are debt free and then build up a fair chunk of savings but we have a nice house that doesn't need further work for a few years. A big blow out family holiday is on the cards over the next few years as well.
Same here, we can’t afford to go abroad every year anyway (6 of us in school holidays is just too expensive). Therefore most breaks have been in the UK (staying with relatives often), but has also enabled us to do some major jobs within the house - our kitchen was extended & re-fitted having previously not been done since the early 1960’s. We’ve also replaced all the windows except 2.
Last year we finally had our 1st holiday abroad as a family- I had feared if we waited longer then DS may be off to Uni. So I’m glad we went last year (very glad!).
Next on our list though is a loft extension so that our kids can have a bedroom each (our house is a 1930’s and is very spacious downstairs but still has just 3 beds upstairs, so means our 3 girls share. Now they’re getting older they really want their own space. Am hoping we can maybe start loft extension in 2022. Not sure when we’ll afford another family holiday a abroad, but one day hope to take the kids away again somewhere.
Michyloulou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 20, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

After 2 cancelled West Coast vacations this year, (cancelled March and rebooked for August before cancelling again), We decided to splurge the money elsewhere, giving up on 2020.

We are wasting it wisely on converting half of our double garage into a Dining Room.

Maybe we will get to California next year.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List