Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 21 Dec 21, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
The guy invites himself down every year. Nice guy and former workmate of my FIL. He is single.

MIL has MS and FIL heart difficulties. Both good cooks, but in their mid 70s and really not up to cooking a Christmas dinner for lots. They simply told the guy that with all that is going on, they would sooner he stayed in Amesbury this year. A sensible call.

BIL and I are .. different. I have grafted all my life and always find employment. He is 46 and hasn’t worked in donkeys years.. and then only briefly. He also is vegetarian and I am not.

FIL and MIL have isolated throughout Covid pretty much obeyed every rule as they are clearly vulnerable. BIL is then looking to come to my house.. I work in a COVID test centre and also a Hospital in very close proximity to patients. My wife is very regularly in Asda. My eldest son is home from Uni .. and working in Asda. Likely one or more of us will get COVID and therefore likely he will take it straight to them, wrecking any isolation measures.

I guess it will be the 5 as my Dad is 88, has every illness under the sun and doesn’t give a monkeys about COVID. He knows he ain’t got long left and has no intention of not enjoying it as best he can. He is ex Military and with a Military attitude… death can be fatal and in any case gets us all eventually.

That is it.. in a nutshell!.
CFB, your families story really illustrates that it’s not as straightforward as it would sometimes seem, you have to see the bigger picture, hope you have a great Xmas x
Loulou127 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 21, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

The guy invites himself down every year. Nice guy and former workmate of my FIL. He is single.

MIL has MS and FIL heart difficulties. Both good cooks, but in their mid 70s and really not up to cooking a Christmas dinner for lots. They simply told the guy that with all that is going on, they would sooner he stayed in Amesbury this year. A sensible call.

BIL and I are .. different. I have grafted all my life and always find employment. He is 46 and hasn’t worked in donkeys years.. and then only briefly. He also is vegetarian and I am not.

FIL and MIL have isolated throughout Covid pretty much obeyed every rule as they are clearly vulnerable. BIL is then looking to come to my house.. I work in a COVID test centre and also a Hospital in very close proximity to patients. My wife is very regularly in Asda. My eldest son is home from Uni .. and working in Asda. Likely one or more of us will get COVID and therefore likely he will take it straight to them, wrecking any isolation measures.

I guess it will be the 5 as my Dad is 88, has every illness under the sun and doesn’t give a monkeys about COVID. He knows he ain’t got long left and has no intention of not enjoying it as best he can. He is ex Military and with a Military attitude… death can be fatal and in any case gets us all eventually.

That is it.. in a nutshell!.
I think when you finally retire you should write your autobiography.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 21, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I think when you finally retire you should write your autobiography.
I don’t think that anybody would want to read it, a tale of excess and stupidity in my younger years, realisation that I was being an immature prat and then sensible pillar of the establishment in more recent times.. (of sorts).

Edited at 08:04 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 21, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
My sisters guests only 3 family members are positive so she’s coming to us, I only got six of everything. Six hotel chocolat crackers and place mats but I’m off to see if I can get another posh cracker. If not I’ll get her an expensive one from a different shop to make her feel special. She was going to stay at home and I wouldn’t let her! 😀
Old 22 Dec 21, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Bella Girl
slightly serious Dibber

Bella Girl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We were due to have 15 but this could end up as 4. One of my in-laws did a long car journey on Monday (a long story I won’t bore you with)and the driver tested positive yesterday. In the intervening period, half the family have visited the person who did the long car journey so potentially, they are all at risk. Therefore, we are in limbo, with everyone concerned testing themselves daily. Upon hearing all this drama, my Mum has decided that she does not want to risk coming and wants to stay at home.

I have taken the view that the positive in all of this is that my children have made it home safe and well so I am thankful for this. As to the rest of it, it will be what it will be and if necessary, we will do the same as last year - cook a dinner for everyone and deliver it to them then do a big family Zoom call after dinner.
Bella Girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 21, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
JSP
Imagineer

Down to 7 from 10 on the big day as my daughter is self isolating so her, her husband and their son won’t be able to join us
There is a question mark over another daughter and her partner joining us on the 27th as covid is currently making its way through her household.
Old 22 Dec 21, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Yes, down to 5 from 11…. But secretly I don’t mind

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 21, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

Last year we were spending our first xmas ever with DS, DDiL and DG (then 5 years) who live 250 miles away but due to Boris restrictions a couple of days before we lost that christmas.

This year we planned to see my mum (aged 80) who other than hospital visits has been too frightened to leave home since covid.

My mum is now saying she doesn’t really eat so will just come over for a while (I suspect she will sadly say she’s unwell that morning and not come at all)!

We were this year going up to DS, DDiL and DG from the 27th, but DG tested positive yesterday and they are now isolating! Plus who knows if they will bring in new restrictions from Boxing Day anyway.

I was diagnosed with cancer in Nov 2018. Got sepsis and was in hospital for two weeks after treatment started and came out late xmas eve and we lost that christmas as I was so shattered. Still having treatment over xmas 2019 so we lost that too.

So really have lost every christmas since 2018. This one not looking much better!
ROBBOTOO is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 21, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
deeley
Imagineer

Mobile

8 to 6 so far…testing daily as so many contacts at work
Covid cancelled Aug 2020!
Back to NYC Dec 22
deeley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 21, 12:22 AM  
Link to this Post
MarkUK
Imagineer

I don’t think that anybody would want to read it, a tale of excess and stupidity in my younger years, realisation that I was being an immature prat and then sensible pillar of the establishment in more recent times.. (of sorts).
I would gladly read it. Honest reality and proper life is fascinating.
MarkUK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List