Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 2 Feb 22, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bad Pink Tink View Post
Day 8 Disneyland Main Park

Today finally in Disneyland.

Breakfast started with the parfait in my room and then coffee from The Cove Cafe at Tropicana as I walked across the street to the park entrance. I got a small latte which cost $4.04.

I had refilled my water bottles before I had left The Hilton at Universal, so I didn't need to buy water.

I was scanned through the Main Gates at about 7.30am and was just at the back of the big crowds outside The Plaza when the park officially opened and they did the welcome announcement at 8.00am.

My mid morning snack was at Red Rose Tavern in Fantasyland at 9.55 am

I had the Garden Mozzarella Flatbread which is
Seasoned Tomatoes, fresh Mozzarella, Basil, Balsamic Glaze, and Tomato Sauce. It came with BBQ sauce and Ranch Dressing. I didn't use the Ranch and kept it for later.
and

The Grey Stuff
Red Shortbread Cookie, Red Velvet Cake, Raspberry, Cookies & Cream Mousse and Heart Sprinkles

The pizza / flatbread was really good, and I love The Grey Stuff. I've had it before, so it was one of my few repeats from previous years.

Next snack at 11.43am was the Mango and Raspberry Dole Whip from Tropical Hideaway. This is a new quick serve restaurant beside Jungle Cruise in Adventureland. Most people just get the traditional Pineapple Dole Whip at The Tikki Room. I've had that so many times that I wanted to try something different. You can get the different flavours on their own or you can do what I did and mix them. It cost $6.45

I actually didn't eat it at the restaurant, I took it around to The Mark Twain Riverboat. I timed it just right and managed to get a seat right at the front of the boat and had my icecream while going around The Rivers of America.

After the Mark Twain I went to the nearby Rancho del Zocalo Restaurante to refill my water bottle. I do this throughout the day when ever I need to. At this restaurant, they have a filtered water tap station and ice and anyone can walk in and refill their water. Its in the outdoor seating area, and you need to go in through the exit to find it.

Lunch was a Cafe Orleans. I had a reservation for 2pm. I did the reservation when it opened , 60 days in advance and at 3am / LA time which is 11am UK/ Ireland time. I was so glad I did, as the restaurant was very busy and I don't think they were doing walkups.

I requested a table outside when I was checking in.

I ordered coffee and water to start. The coffee is Joffreys and again was served with a little jug of cream

For my main I ordered the famous Monti Cristo.
Its served a little different that Blue Bayou. At Cafe Orleans they have Pommes Frites, which are twisted Parmesan cheese fries.

The fries were really good and I love the Monti Cristo. I've had it before at Blue Bayou. This one came with an orange jam and a cajan spiced Remoulade sauce. The orange jam was good but not something I would eat with the sandwich. The Remoulade sauce was really good and went well with the fries.

The meal cost $26.94 and I gave a $5 tip

At the end of the meal I asked for a cup of water to go and refilled my water bottle bottle.

My afternoon snack was a Mickey Cake Pop at Pooh Corner in Critter Country. I have never had any of the snacks from this shop so I decided to try something small. It cost $5.92 and was really good.

The outside is hard chocolate with strawberry sugar and the inside is a chocolate brownie, which was really good. It was a soft ,cake and the chocolate was really good. I don't normally eat American chocolate as I find it not nice compared to our chocolate but this was good, no after taste like with Herseys!

My evening food at about 7.00pm was from Galaxys Edge.
I got a Ronto Wrap which cost $14 and then from Docking Bay 7 I got a Batuu Bon which cost $7.53

I took both of them to the seating area outside.

The Ronto wrap is Roasted Pork, Grilled Pork Sausage, Peppercorn Sauce, tangy Slaw, wrapped in Pita

The Batuu Bon is Chocolate Cake, White Chocolate Mousse, Coffee Custard

I asked for a To Go box for the Batuu Bon but took a photo before I squished it too much getting it off the plate.

Before I left Galaxys Edge I refilled my water bottle at the water refill station. Again, like at Rancho del Zocalo Restaurante it is a filtered water tap.

I managed to stay until the park closed at 11pm!
WOW that’s my kinda day MK & great food 🇺🇸😋😋
Food looks AMAZING especially the pizza
And the cupcake, ice cream & everything else sweet

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1266923

ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 22, 01:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Disney Planning View Post
How exciting to be able to sample the Lunar New Year foods, the last taster of chicken and Jasmine rice looks tasty 😋
Ive followed these food festivals over the last few years on Disboards and YouTube, so it was great to actually get to experience one. It was so cool to see that part of Paradise Gardens full of life as on my usual June trips, its normally the quietest part of California Adventures.

Originally Posted by theCMG View Post
great day, that macaron looks interesting
I was a bit hesitant to get it, but its featured on the promo for Lunar New Year so I decided to give it a go. I was really surprised at how good it was, it didnt taste odd at all.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 22, 02:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Day 10 Tuesday 1 February - Downtown Disney

Today was my no park day. I never really spend much time in Downtown Disney and I have never been to Disneyland Hotel. The way this trip worked out, I had time to have a chill day before my last park day and I'm so glad I did.

A few weeks after I had planned this as a no park day, Disneyland announced a special Valentines event called Sweetheart Nite for 1, 3, 8, 10 and 14 February. Disneyland Main Park closed at 5pm, and to stay after 5pm you needed to pay extra for the event ticket which cost $114 per person. More info about this event can be found here Disneyland After Dark: Sweethearts’ Nite

As I went into Downtown Disney, the lines for California Adventures were really long and Disneyland Main Park really short.

Breakfast today was at La Brea Bakery. I had made a reservation 60 days in advance at 3am LA time / 11am UK time. Again I had an outside table.

I ordered coffee and water first

and then Pecan Stuffed French Toast which was
filled with cream cheese and pecans then topped with bananas, blueberries and icing sugar.

It came with a small jug of maple syrup. It cost $26.40 and I gave $30. I know this was a poor tip and I did it on purpose as the service was poor. I felt that as I was a solo , they didn't seem to care and were not as attentive as I saw them with other tables.

It was really good and I think I will be going back on my next visit.

Mid day snack was Dole Whip Float with Parrot Bay Coconut Rum at Tangaroa Terrace Tropical Bar & Grill at Disneyland Hotel. It cost $14.01

Tangaroa Terrace is a quick service to go food place, next door to Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar. They are both located in the central pool area of Disneyland Hotel. Anyone can go to both of these food places, you don't have to be staying at the hotel.

It was nice, but I don't think it was worth the upcharge for the alcohol. Maybe next tip I will try it with Myers's Dark Rum.

Afternoon food was at the Craftsman Bar at Grand California Hotel. Again I made this reservation 60 days in advance at 3am LA time / 11am UK time. The Craftsman Bar reservations are at the bar area, whereas the Craftsman Grill reservations are the tables. Both are outside areas overlooking the pool and open to the sun.

I had the Chicken Rice Bowl which was steamed rice, vegetable egg roll, cucumber, green onions, hard-boiled egg, togarashi spice, and sriracha aïoli and a Banana Daiquiri.

It was really good, and something else I would have again.
It cost $34.48 and I gave $40

As I was leaving Downtown Disney around 5pm, the lines for Sweetheart Nite Special event were huge and Downtown Disney was getting really busy as everyone left the park.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 22, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Planning
Imagineer

Shame about the service at breakfast but it was obviously very good as you plan to go back 😊
Disney Planning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 22, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Disney Planning View Post
Shame about the service at breakfast but it was obviously very good as you plan to go back 😊
I worked in the restaurant industry for many years, so I know the disconnect between good food and bad service. The chefs made good food which is why I will return. Bad service gets noticed and very likely that server wont be there when I return. I don't judge a restaurant by bad service.
Old 5 Feb 22, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Day 11 Wednesday 2 February - Disneyland Main Park

Today was my last park day. I got a small caramel latte which cost $4.58 and the parfait which cost $4.50 from the shop at Tropicana Hotel. I had the coffee as I walked to Disney bag check security and kept the parfait to eat later.

I was scanned into the park at 7.30am and decided to go to the seating area at Jolly Holiday Bakery to watch the rope drop madness and eat my parfait.

Midmorning snack was from Edelweiss Snacks.
This is a snack cart located just under the Monorail Track between Its A Small World and Tomorroland.

Chimichanga - Fried Burrito filled with Ground Beef, Refried Beans, and a traditional Mexican red sauce. This cost $6.99

and Corn on The Cob which cost $5.29

There is a seating area behind the snack cart, under the Monorail track, which most people miss.

This cart also sell the famous Turkey Leg. The Chimichanga was ok, very doughy but not that spicy. The Corn on The Cob had optional Chili-Lime but I just had butter.

The seating area was great, and I will probably use it again. Its actually the leftover docking area of a long gone boat ride around the lagoon.

My next stop was in Tomorrowland, at Galatic Grill to refill my water bottle

After Tomorrowland it was time for another snack, a corn dog at Little Red Wagon Cart beside The Plaza Restaurant on Main Street. This is another snack that is famous in Disneyland which I had never tried. It cost $9.79 and came with a bag of Lays Chips ( crisps)

I'm glad I tried it, as its talked about a lot but its not something I would get again. The hotdog was fine, its just the deep fried cornbread around it I found too much. It was very greasy and heavy. Other places around the park serve it, but Little Red Wagon Cart is the one thats recommended the most.

Evening food was from Docking Bay 7 in Galaxys Edge.
I got the Endorian Fried Chicken Tip-Yip which was
Crispy Chicken, Roasted Vegetable Potato Mash with Green Gravy and cost $15.49

This I found very bland. It was just a good sized piece of breaded chicken breast with mash, gravy and vegetables. It would be a very good meal for UK people who like plain food. I'm glad I tried it but I wouldnt get it again.

Before I left Galaxys Edge I refilled my water bottle at the filtered water tap. This is located near the restroom in the Black Spire shopping area.

My last snack , which I got from Ship To Shore Snack Cart near Big Thunder Mountain was a packet of sliced Mango which cost $4.30

Edited at 04:34 PM.
Old 5 Feb 22, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Shame about the corn dog, it's such an iconic item as you say I was meaning to try the nuggets version from Casey's this time but didn't get to it (mind you I'm not that keen on hot dogs anyway ). You're having a great trip!
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 22, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by theCMG View Post
Shame about the corn dog, it's such an iconic item as you say I was meaning to try the nuggets version from Casey's this time but didn't get to it (mind you I'm not that keen on hot dogs anyway ). You're having a great trip!
I know, I was really looking forward to it. Ive had corn bread before, they used to serve it as part of the bread selection at Blue Bayou so I guess I was expecting something light and fluffy. Oh well, at least now Ive tried it
Old 5 Feb 22, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

I am now home and I have started my main trip report which can be found here
Solo In LA and Disneyland, No Car, An Emotional Return

Don't worry, I will finish the food report too
Old 5 Feb 22, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Planning
Imagineer

Can’t believe it’s coming to the end. I really liked the look of the breaded chicken, but then I am more of a plain eater!
Disney Planning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List