Notices

Old 28 Feb 22, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Solo In California - The Return - June 2022

Yep, thats right, finally over jet lag, the unpacking and back to work after my January trip and the planning starts again , for June 2022

I've actually been planning this since before Christmas, I was sorting both trips at the same time. But now I can finally concentrate on my June trip.

Basic Trip Outline
  1. Dublin to Seattle via JFK
  2. 2 Nights in Seattle
  3. Amtrak train from Seattle to LA
  4. 5 nights in LA
  5. 5 nights in Anaheim
  6. LAX to Dublin direct

I am what some would call a superfan of Michael Jackson and he is buried at Forest Lawn Cemetery in Glendale. The anniversary of his death is at the end of June and thats why I go to LA at this time every year.

On previous June trips, I have gone to San Francisco, New Orleans and Vegas. So for my June 2022 trip I decided to go to Seattle.

As I don't drive, I did some research and found the Amtrak train from Seattle to LA is a great way to see part of the west coast of America, places I would not have a chance to see without a car. The journey takes 30 hours and goes through 3 states, Washington, Oregon and California.

I have a private sleeper roomette and all meals, lunch and dinner on the first day, breakfast, lunch and dinner on the second day are included.

At the moment I just have the flights, the Amtrak train and the hotel in Seattle booked.

The next thing to book is the hotel in LA and the hotel in Anaheim.

Over here in Europe, many of our Covid restrictions are being removed, it will be interesting to see what happens with the American restrictions over the next few months.

The mask restrictions are being removed but I will still be wearing masks in the airports, on the planes, indoors on the train and anywhere there are crowds of people.

The big thing that will affect my trip, is will America remove the test to enter. I'm not that bothered, I know from my January trip how to manage it and where I can it locally.

The other big thing about this June trip is that one of my California friends is coming home to Ireland for the first time since 2019 and Covid. She has been planning to come to Ireland in the summer and then when I booked my flights, she had a look at my dates. She managed to get the seat beside me on the LAX to Dublin flight and will stay overnight at my house before getting the train to her family.

So now its back to my planning spreadsheets. Theres so much from my January trip that I can use again and lots of new things I did in January that I can continue doing for June.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 22, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

UPDATE

So big news this week. Due to the horrible situation in Ukraine, the EU member countries are making it as easy as possible for the refugees to get to a safe country. The Irish Government have decided to end the requirement for the Passenger Locator Form and the requirement for an EU Digital Cert for entry to Ireland.

As well as helping the Ukrainian people, this is good news for Irish tourists as it removes that extra bit of form filling when coming home after a holiday.

I have now booked my hotel in LA and my Anaheim hotel. For LA I decided to return to a budget hotel in Downtown LA I have previously stayed at. The Hilton at Universal was amazing but I chose not to return for this trip as the rates were a lot higher than January and it was just that little bit too long travel time to get to the places I want to go.

I got a good deal with the budget hotel in Downtown LA, I managed to get their bed and breakfast deal which was cheaper than their room only deal. They have an onsite deli / coffee shop which I probably would have got breakfast from anyway. While the hotel is not really in a good area its less than 10 minutes walk depending on the traffic lights from a Red Line Metro station. Its also not that far from Union Station, where the Amtrak train will arrive to, so that I can get a taxi from the train station and its not going to cost that much.

For my Anaheim hotel I decided to return to Desert Inn and Suites. I stayed here in 2017 and I still had my notes about the room number I had. I put a special request to to be allocated the same room, so it will be interesting to see if that happens.

I chose Desert Inn and Suites as it was cheaper than Tropicana Hotel for the same dates. I will miss the coffee shop at Tropicana though.

I have also bought my Disneyland tickets and made my park reservations. I bought the tickets direct from Disney using the website and as I am under 120 days, I was able to make my park reservations. I also added Genie+ for all the days to the ticket. I had planned to buy it anyway, and this makes it easier, to have it on my ticket in advance. It means that when I scan in I don't have to waste time trying to buy it. It also means that if there is a photopass photographer at the entrance I can get photos straight after scanning in.

For my June 2022 trip I have bought a 4 day 1 park ticket. This is the most days I have ever got. I had originally planned to get a 3 day ticket and have a no park day in the middle, the same as I did in January. However in January, when I was at The Craftsman Bar, I was watching everyone going into the park through the special entrance and was kinda regretting I didn't have a park ticket.

So what I have decided to do is instead of 1 no park day and 1 day at DCA, that I will split the days. On the first DCA day, I will have a late morning, have breakfast and go shopping in Downtown Disney and then in the afternoon go into DCA and stay until close. The next day I will go to DCA at park opening and leave in the afternoon and have an early night, so that I can get up early for rope drop at Disneyland Main Park.

Doing open to close multiple days in a row really exhausts me, so I'm trying to balance out and have an early night before a rope drop day. We'll see how that works out
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 22, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

Ooh I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on with the train. I've really wanted to do the train all the way across the US (I think it starts in Chicago and goes to California). I think trains are a great way to see places!
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 22, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by liz-paul View Post
Ooh I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on with the train. I've really wanted to do the train all the way across the US (I think it starts in Chicago and goes to California). I think trains are a great way to see places!
I was watching lots of travel videos on YouTube during the travel ban and found a channel all about travelling around America on Amtrak. It just looks like the perfect way for me to see parts of the West coast.
Old 15 Mar 22, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

UPDATE
I'm at that stage when all the big things are sorted but its too soon to start booking other things.

Ive been checking out some YouTube video walkthroughs of JFK. I land at Terminal 5 but I have to go to Terminal 4 for my Delta flight to Seattle. I will have to collect my checked bag, and do bag drop and go through security in Terminal 4.

Delta this morning sent me a time change for my Seattle flight, its now 45 minutes earlier which cuts down my transfer time. It just means that I will really have to walk fast and just get to terminal 4 as fast as I can. I will have to take the shuttle train but its only about 10 minutes between terminals. Not having to do passport check on arrivial is a big help, it means I can just get off the plane, go straight to bag reclaim and then straight to the shuttle train.

My plan is to get food at Terminal 4 and go straight to the gate area. As I know the terminal from my January trip, it makes it easier as its a familiar place.

I have also loaded money onto my USA Sim card using the App. I want to keep it active until my June trip so I have to put money on it every month.

I have started planning my park days but until more details for Fantasmic, World of Color and Main Street Eclectic Parade are released I cant really do that much planning. The main things I need to know are the times and if there will be dining packages.

Its kinda not real yet that I'm gong back so soon.
Old 11 Apr 22, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

UPDATE

Its been a while since I updated , so just to fill you all in on my updates.

Ive been focusing on my Seattle part the last while.

Delta once again have changed my flight time from New York, I now leave at 4.30pm. I'm happy about that, as its closer to my original time and gives me a bit more time to transfer between terminals and do back drop.

When I get to Seattle, most likely I will book the shuttle listed on Seattle Airport website. This is one thing which has been hard to figure out. I prefer a private car service, but I need to be mindful of my budget too. The shuttle service on the airport website has a shared van which is closer to my my budget range. They also have a video , showing how to get from the bag reclaim carousel in arrivals to the pick up point, which is great. Before Covid I always used shared van shuttles. On my January trip I did private car service but I think for this one time, I might just do the shared shuttle. I use public transport in my day to day life and I will be wearing masks. I used the shared shuttle at Universal Citywalk back to the hotel but that was only a 10 minute ride. As long as I get my head around it, I will be fine.

I have also been checking out the Amtrak train route. Some of the stations the train only stops to let passengers off and on, some of the stations there is a 20 minute stop and some of the stations I want to make sure I am in the viewing car for. I have planned out the route and made a note of the stations which have a 20 minute stop, so that I can get out and stretch my legs for a few minutes.

I get lunch and dinner on my first day and breakfast, lunch and dinner on my second day. Most likely I will ask my room attendant to bring my meals to my roomette instead of going to the restaurant carriage. I have checked out the times for each of the meals and written down the times I would like my food at and made sure that the meals are timed for particular stations, so that I dont miss the 20 minute breaks or the best scenery.

I have started planning my Seattle sightseeing day. There is public transport near my hotel to the main downtown / shopping area but I need to figure it out. The two main places I want to go to are Hard Rock Cafe and Starbucks in Pike Place. I used to work for Hard Rock Cafe and I collect the pins and tshirts from my travels. And Starbucks, the same, I want to get a You Are Here mug.

I am still undecided between the Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour or a walking tour. I usually do a Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour when I visit a new city, but I have also done walking tours. With the bus tour you go to a wider area and see things in passing and only get out at one or two things, depending on the time. With the walking tour, its a small area but you get a more personal up close view of a few places.

For my LA days, I am not really planning than much. I liked having a slower pace in January and not having lots of things booked and planned. I'm thinking about a day at Santa Monica, its one of my favorite places. I love how the shopping and restaurant area is so close to the beach. The pier and beach area are places I grew up dreaming about visiting as they were featured on so many TV shows and films. The hotel I'm staying at in Downtown LA is 1 block from the Metro station, so it will be easy to get the Metro to Santa Monica.
Old 22 May 22, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

UPDATE

I haven't forgotten about updating and my planning has continued, but real life kinda got a bit chaotic.

I have now booked the shuttle listed on the Seattle airport website. I prepaid but will give a cash tip. I am a bit nervous using a shared van service, but for this trip it is the best option.

I have also booked and prepaid for the Hop On Hop Off bus tour of Seattle. I have such a limited time and this is the best option for me. One of the stops is near my hotel and so it is the easiest way to get to the places I want to go to and to see Seattle.

I have planned out which stops to get off at and which places I want to see.

I am still undecided about my LA days , as I need to work around my friends work schedules.

My Anaheim and Disney days are almost fully planned.

I did my ADR at 60 days. I booked a table service meal for every day and for my arrival day. In January I didnt book a restaurant in Downtown Disney and I regretted it, so this time I have.

I havent booked anything for WOC, I am undecided whether I will do standby / general access on the bridge or skip it altogether.

I have booked Hungry Bear on the go dining package for Fantasmic. The new procedure of booking a normal reservation at Riverbelle and then upgrading on the day is a bit too risky for me. Blue Bayou may or may not be open on my days, so the Hungry Bear package seemed the best option. Im not really bothered about the food, its the access to the Fantasmic viewing section thats important to me.

This time for the first time I have 2 days at DCA. Disney announced Grad Reunion Nights Party for the week I am in Anaheim and one of these parties is on one of my DCA days. I had already planned on only doing 2 half days at DCA, rope drop one morning and leave in the afternoon and then afternoon to close on the other day. This plan works well with the Grad Reunion Nights Party. I have booked a restaurant in Downtown Disney for the day I will be rope dropping and leaving early.

I have been using my January trip to help me budget for June and its been really useful. I have left over money on both my prepaid currency card and on my Disney Gift Card, the Star Wars Spira. I have been adding money to my prepaid currency card and I have money set aside to change into dollars cash for my Spira. I will be using the Spira for all my food and shopping in Disney. I will also have cash dollars with me, to use for tips and small purchases.

Theres not much left to book now.

I still need to book my Covid test for the day before my flight. There is no update from the US Government about this test to enter USA being removed. I am going to wait another few weeks and see what happens. There is a testing centre local to me which I used in January, so I can book there again.

I also need to book the car service to transfer from LA to Anaheim and from Anaheim to LAX.

Other than that, its just co ordinating with my friends in LA and changing my money into US dollars.
Old 27 May 22, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

We found Seattle a very walkable place, and it had OKish public transport. Have you considered taking the train/light rail from SEATAC rather than a shuttle? That might only work depending on where your hotel is, of course. It was back in 2017 but we found it extremely cheap, very easy to find, and pretty scenic. I can’t say if it was quicker but it ran near the interstate / big roads which looked rammed. I know you are a single traveller and I would just say that it felt extremely safe.

ETA: sorry just saw you’ve booked the shuttle.
Old 7 Jun 22, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

UPDATE
Counting the days now

All the last minute booking things are almost done.

I finally booked my pre flight Covid test. I tried to book into the same testing centre I used in January but there was no availability on the date I needed. I also tried other local testing centres and again nothing on the day I needed. I was told that as most countries have removed the requirement to test before entry, they are scaling back their services, as USA is one of the few countries still requiring it.

I had to book direct with the testing company and go to their test centre in Dublin city centre. This is not ideal on the day before my flight as I will have to take a bus and spend the entire morning on this test instead of just an hour.

Then in the afternoon when I come home I will have to upload the Fit To Fly Cert to my airline along with my vaccine cert in order to do online check in.

I want to do online check in and have all my documents approved in advance by my airline to save time at Dublin airport.

I have been keeping a check on crowds at Dublin airport over the last few weeks. It looks like they are trying to sort things out with the crowds and the queues so hopefully by the I am due to fly it wont be too bad.

I usually get to Dublin airport about 3 hours before a transatlantic flight, but I am planning to be there 4 hours or longer just in case.

I have booked my two car service transfers, again with Midwilshuttle, the company I used in January. I have booked to transfer from my LA hotel to Anaheim and then from Anaheim to LAX.

I am meeting my friend at LAX as she will be traveling from her home in a different part of LA. It will be interesting who see who arrives at the airport first as we are just planning an approx. time to meet, LA traffic is so unpredictable.

For my LA days I have just decided not to plan that much and just see what I feel like doing on the day. I will be going to Forest Lawn Glendale , I want to go to Santa Monica and I will be meeting with friends. Im not really going to have a schedule like I used to do in previous years.

I have ordered flowers for collection at Forest Lawn like I always do. I find it easier to just get flowers from the cemetery flower shop on the day instead of trying to get flowers the day before and bring them on the bus.

Theres not really that much left to do now. I just need to get some more US dollars , print off a few documents and pack.

I have started gathering bits and pieces, I have a storage box where I keep all my travel items, and I have been adding things to it, but its still in the wardrobe. Its too soon yet to take it out and sort through it.
Old 7 Jun 22, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
We found Seattle a very walkable place, and it had OKish public transport. Have you considered taking the train/light rail from SEATAC rather than a shuttle? That might only work depending on where your hotel is, of course. It was back in 2017 but we found it extremely cheap, very easy to find, and pretty scenic. I can’t say if it was quicker but it ran near the interstate / big roads which looked rammed. I know you are a single traveller and I would just say that it felt extremely safe.

ETA: sorry just saw you’ve booked the shuttle.
I did consider taking the train / light rail from the airport but I will be arriving at night time. I don't like using public transport and walking alone in the dark. If my flight was arriving in the daytime I would have used the train / light rail from the airport.