Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 27 Apr 22, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

Pre travel day: Giraffe Gatwick South T

I checked into the Hilton Gatwick at around 4pm and having some trouble with Wi-Fi, it took me until about 5:30-6pm to get my VeriFLY finished and my green ready to fly tick.

With a big sigh of relief I decided to go to the departures terminal to find dinner. It is a fairly short, mainly undercover walk to the terminal. There were not a lot of options, a couple of things closed still but Giraffe and a couple of neighbouring places were open as well as Costa on the floor below.

Giraffe was not packed but doing a decent trade. I was seated and provided with a menu promptly. It was certainly a very reduced and simplified menu compared to my previous and only other visit in September 2019. I did not expect to be eating burger tonight, I had a more interesting aubergine tagine last time but as I say the menu is simplified and there wasn’t a great deal else on offer. So burger it was, with an extra of cheese and served with fries …

The food arrived quickly, too quickly if it were an average restaurant, but this is a departures restaurant and I think it is reasonable that they deliver quickly. It was quite an underwhelming meal though, the burger was pretty small and the portion of fries was meagre. Now believe it or not I don’t have a big appetite despite my love of food so the fries portion was fine to me. But I had a niggling thought that it was unusually small so I sent a photo to Nev for checking and he said he would have been very disappointed. The burger itself was ok, quite a nice flavour but I wasn’t sure about the colour or texture. I have some concerns that I will be too ill to board my flight tomorrow but hopefully that won’t be the case.

The service and staff at Giraffe were excellent. But the menu is lacking and the food and portions are questionable. I had a great experience at Giraffe on my previous visit, not so much this time. Sadly I would probably advise to swerve for the time being.

ETA: I forgot to take photo of the receipt but the meal was £14.50.

Edited at 09:38 PM.
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 22, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

I can’t believe you’re off already! Doesn’t seem like a stellar eating experience at Giraffe. The burger does look small but the texture issue seems off putting. Hopefully it has no ill effects
IBEX23 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 22, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Tillyjcm
slightly serious Dibber

Gosh that burger looks like a child’s size, hopefully it won’t cause you any upset. X
Old 27 Apr 22, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

That is NOT worthy of a first night Claudette dining report.

I hope you have a peaceful and good night’s sleep at the Hilton (really, I do!)

Onwards and upwards
Old 27 Apr 22, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Hope you have a good nights sleep and a quick day tomorrow.
We ate at giraffe in Heathrow in December and were disappointed compared to previous visits, and probably wouldn’t use them again, shame as we used to enjoy our breakfasts there.
Old 27 Apr 22, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
4holibobs
VIP Dibber

Sorry it wasn’t a great start, but things are about to get a whole lot better! Have the most fabulous time!
4holibobs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 22, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandoguy
Imagineer

Very disappointing show from giraffe ! Hope you get a gd nights sleep before your travel day tomorrow - safe journeys

Edited at 09:53 AM.
Orlandoguy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 22, 12:23 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Last week I just got a sandwich and drink from M&S and had a picnic in my room at the Hilton Too nervous to eat much, all the covid palaver caught up with me ! 🙄
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 22, 05:40 AM  
Link to this Post
lfc_sarah
Imagineer

Aw what a shame with the burger! I bet it was the same price for less food too!
I wonder if all of these places are actually going to go back to normal with their menus at some point or if this 'reduced' menu rubbish is here to stay for a while.
lfc_sarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 22, 06:23 AM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Have a safe flight today 🇺🇸 Xx

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1266923

ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List