Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 May 22, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
lacrymosa146
Getting Excited

Does this look after better or worse? 😂

1 - Fly into SF
2 - SF
3 - SF
4 - Pick up car early morning then drive to Monterey. Spend day in Monterey and stay overnight.
5 - 17 mile drive/PCH. Stay overnight at Pismo Beach.
6 - Travel to Hollywood/Santa Monica Pier. Explore in afternoon. Stay overnight.
7 - Universal
8 - Travel to Vegas.
9 - Vegas
10 - Grand Canyon day trip.
11 - Travel to SD via Calico Ghost Town
12 - SD
13- SD
14 - Disney
15 - Disney
16 - Disney
17 - Travel home from LAX.

3 nights SF
1 night Monterey
1 night Pismo Beach
1 night Hollywood
3 nights Vegas
2 nights San Diego
4 nights Anaheim
lacrymosa146 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 22, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

It’s better but I would still be looking to lose somewhere (possibly Las Vegas or San Diego) to cut down on the miles and have some time to relax, swim, chill, whatever

PS My kids loved Las Vegas
PPS I suggested those two places to reduce miles and allow you some breathing space and places to ‘be’ where you aren’t homeless from 11am until 4pm at the next hotel.

Also - random thought - AVOID travelling from LA to Vegas on a Friday if you possibly can - the four hour journey can easily turn into six or seven hours. The same in reverse on a Sunday. I have no idea what days you’re travelling when but I thought I’d mention it!

Edited at 07:13 PM.
KarenG is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 22, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
lacrymosa146
Getting Excited

Thank you, I didn't think of that. I have just worked it out and we wouldn't be travelling on a Sunday or Friday to/from Vegas thankfully!

Would love to cut Vegas or San Diego out but unfortunately we really want to visit both. It may be our only time visiting x
lacrymosa146 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 22, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Buggles94
VIP Dibber

Buggles94's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Hi there
This looks like an absolutely amazing trip and similar to one we did a few years ago but we didn't do Las Vegas... My only worry with young children would be the one night stays.. My plan with 2 teenagers was 2 nights at least everywhere - ideally 3. There is a lot of driving and so much to see but I would tentatively suggest 2 nights in Monterey and 2 nights in Pismo so you have some relaxing time... I think I would consider giving San Diego a miss BUT you have to go back and see it on another trip as it is amazing! Whatever you decide I am sure you will have an absolutely amazing time - we have been back to the West Coast a few times since mainly focusing on Disneyland each time ps I recommend the Walt Disney Museum in San Francisco as well as Dylan's Tour and Alcatraz...
Just read the whole thread and another possibility is letting the Santa Monica/Hollywood etc part go... ?

Edited at 07:23 PM.
Buggles94 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 22, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lacrymosa146 View Post
Thank you, I didn't think of that. I have just worked it out and we wouldn't be travelling on a Sunday or Friday to/from Vegas thankfully!

Would love to cut Vegas or San Diego out but unfortunately we really want to visit both. It may be our only time visiting x
I almost guarantee you’ll go again. We find WDW a distant second nowadays

Which GC in a day tour are you planning? West or South? South will be absolutely gruelling and although most people will say it’s the ‘best / only’ way to do the GC, I couldn’t contemplate so many hours in a vehicle - think we had six hours there and back but we stayed overnight (and our kids at that point were 13 & 16)
Old 17 May 22, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
lacrymosa146
Getting Excited

No, West Rim/Sky Walk tour. We will probably drive ourselves!
Old 17 May 22, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I have played with this at some length.

No matter how I look at it, you need to cut.. or else you will spend more time driving than doing. That is bound to be a snag, when you have young children.

You are tied to 16 nights, into SFO and out of LAX.

I would most certainly cut out San Diego.

If you were to do this, then you could easily hit all of your ‘must sees’ comfortably, other than San Diego.

This is my only realistic plan to get the whole lot in 16 nights….

3 nights SFO. To collect car as you leave. You won’t need it in SFO.
2 nights Monterey to see Whales etc and then leave in the morning.
1 night SL Obispo or Pismo (they are next to each other) after driving the PCH. I believe an overnight to be essential .
1 night Barstow as a staging point and to see Calico.
2 nights Vegas to see Hoover Dam and G Canyon
1 night Universal after driving there from Vegas
3 nights Anaheim having got there early evening after driving from Universal, so one day in Each Park.
3 nights San Diego after spending time getting there down the coast getting there late afternoon.
Drive to Santa Monica and spend day there before flying home early evening. You will find a good Hollywood tour in the 2018 report linked to my signature.

I would suggest that you add up all the mileages and times of this one, then do likewise with the excellent alternatives offered by others.

San Luis Obispo? SLO is around 5 miles from Pismo beach, effectively bringing into play hotels at either and a chance to see the beach as well as the pier and possibly the Monarch Butterflies if in season.
SL Obispo is the town of the Madonna Inn (see my 2018 report link) and also Apple Tree Farm (see my 2022 pre trip report).

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 08:30 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 22, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

That’s totally achievable in one day
Old 17 May 22, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
You’d easily also fit in a stop at the Hoover Dam if you wanted

The West Rim is only 2.5 hr drive each way , I’d definitely drive yourself

Tbh the Canyon was lost on my two
The eldest was 7 and she really wasn’t fussed by it .

I find one night stays a pain in the backside ,‘I find you have so little time there .

One tip for a road trip .. packing cubes , different colour for each person
It’ll save your sanity !

My rule is no less than 3 nights anywhere and no longer than 6-7 hrs in the car
The only exception is 1 night in Williams ..

My sister did a similar trip to yours with a lot of 1 night stays , she found whilst she could say she’s been somewhere the reality was she arrived , slept and left next day . She didn’t really see anything

Edited at 09:15 PM.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 22, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We are the other way, preferring lots of one nighters, thus shortening drives and avoiding ‘return journeys’ at as much as possible.

I must add that our multi centring didn’t start until the boys were 12 and 8.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:53 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List