Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 May 22, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile Flights prices to LA in August?

I know times are different now, but what have people paid for flights to LA over our summer holidays? We tend to go away the last few weeks of august, but we’ve never been to California and we have friend who are moving out to an Air Force base not far from LA this July so we would like to go out there next year but I have no idea what would be deemed as a good price? We’ve only flown to Florida in the summer holidays so it’s all new to me.

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 22, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

It is only ‘different now’ on Florida. Prices elsewhere are good. I believe that the Florida route is bedevilled by certain airlines trying to devalue the credit notes that they issued by the million, mainly to tourists.

I am possibly unusual in that I research flight prices before deciding where in the USA I am visiting. Most people decide where they are going, then research prices!
A side product of my tactic is that I am constantly researching most direct and some indirect routings, whereas many only look at a particular route.

£500 return on a multi city US is par for the course, into one location and out of another. LAX return can be even lower.

Any two of SFO, Los Angeles, San Diego can be purchased at that price.
Las Vegas tends to cost a fair bit more than that, as does Phoenix.

This Oct we are into SFO and out of San Diego at £465 or thereabouts. We are travelling hand baggage only, but have hold baggage if we were to need it… which we won’t.

If looking at codeshare, then American Airlines seem to currrently be around £50 pp cheaper than BA for the same flights.
We found this when booking LHR- Vancouver and Seattle- LHR for next Easter. Bottom price was £415 with AA , but £455 with BA. (Again, hand baggage only).

It is only when you want to fly into Florida, particularly Orlando that the prices are stupid… Boston, NY, D.C., Atlanta, Chicago, Detroit, Seattle etc are all pretty much the same.

Start with Google flights, play around with dates a bit (not just 14 or 21 nights.. and then book direct with whichever Airline is chucking up the best price, whether their aircraft or codeshare.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 01:08 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 22, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

I usually buy flights for California between 6 to 8 months out. I pay in Euros and approx €800 for 1 adult from Dublin to LAX return is about what I pay, economy and direct.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 22, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

I paid approx £2700 for 2 adults and 2 teens this August. That is direct from Dublin to lax, economy but the version with checked bags and seat selection.

In 2019 I paid approx £1200 for 4 of us from lgw to lax with virgin. But that was right at the start of July so not English school hols.
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 22, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

I just checked my June flights

Booked in November 2021 for June 2022
Aer Lingus Smart Economy
Dublin to New York direct
LAX to Dublin direct
1 Adult
Free Seat selection, 1 checked 23kg bag
Total including tax and admin fees = €835.81

Edited at 02:05 PM.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 22, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

These are a sample of very recent releases for next Easter…

These should give a reasonable example of what to expect, should you be looking shortly after the flight releases at the 330 nights from return point.

That is where I would also expect them to be!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 02:11 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 22, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
These are a sample of very recent releases for next Easter…

These should give a reasonable example of what to expect, should you be looking shortly after the flight releases at the 330 nights from return point.

That is where I would also expect them to be!
Thanks for these CFB and for your earlier comment.

They are prices I would be happy with in the summer, Easter is harder for us both to get the time off work which is why we always go in August. It would have to be a direct flight, my DH wont get on 2 flights as he hates flying, would rather drive for 4 hours the other end than take a connecting flight! But I think if I aimed for £400-600pp we might get something in budget.

NewtoOrlando is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 22, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
Originally Posted by liz-paul View Post
I paid approx £2700 for 2 adults and 2 teens this August. That is direct from Dublin to lax, economy but the version with checked bags and seat selection.

In 2019 I paid approx £1200 for 4 of us from lgw to lax with virgin. But that was right at the start of July so not English school hols.
Is that including flights from London to Dublin? Or are you based in Ireland? I don't think that is too bad inc bags and seats.

Old 28 May 22, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I’ve never paid more than £525 including bags in school summer holidays BUT I will have been relaxed about going there and would have gone elsewhere if I couldn’t achieve a price in that ballpark which I completely acknowledge won’t suit everyone.

I have been lucky getting reward flights into LAX too, if that’s an option for you?
Old 28 May 22, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by NewtoOrlando View Post
Thanks for these CFB and for your earlier comment.

They are prices I would be happy with in the summer, Easter is harder for us both to get the time off work which is why we always go in August. It would have to be a direct flight, my DH wont get on 2 flights as he hates flying, would rather drive for 4 hours the other end than take a connecting flight! But I think if I aimed for £400-600pp we might get something in budget.
I only listed Easter because it is a peak(ish) time and therefore it may equate to August prices.
There is no point looking at this August as it is only 3 months away, there has been demand and therefore price will bear little relation to when they were early October of 2021.

We booked August of 2020 and also 2021 to the west coast and were at £500. This reinforces my view that this is a reasonable average price.

You should be looking to book around early to mid October as this will be when the flights that you want are released.
I suspect that you will end up with BA/AA flights.
BA release at 355 days and therefore they will be before those of AA on the BA website. I reiterate that in my case for next Easter, when the AA offering for the same flights came out on 330 days, they were 10% cheaper than booking with BA.