Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 Jun 22, 06:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Keirasean
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by scooby99 View Post
Are you planning to book the tramway beforehand?
If not, you may not even get on the tramway up within an hour!

We visited Palm Springs 6 weeks ago; didn’t book the Tramway, just turned up.
It opened at 10.00; we got there at 10.15 & joined the ticket queue straight away; the first available tram was 11.40.
Once up there & having had a look at the views which are stunning plus the wait for a tram down, we left around 13.00.
Not a problem for us as we were in PS for 4 days.

We did the reverse drive; San Diego to Palm Springs driving some of the Palms to Pines Scenic Byway; up into the mountains to IdyllWild & descending down into the Coachella Valley passing the San Gorgonio Pass into Palm Springs; alpine-like forests, scenic overlooks, a mountain lake, mountain towns, desert valley views; wind turbines for miles; stunning!
Wow. Thanks Scooby. Will definitely book then.
It is a long journey from vegas to SD and I’m trying to work out if we should just do the drive or stop at Palm Springs
Just checking out your route
Keirasean is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 22, 07:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Keirasean View Post
Amy.
I was thinking of taking the 111, then 74, 371, 79?
Yes, you could take that route and it will end up joining with the 15 south, then you could follow on from there as I laid out, but that route goes through a lot of mountains and winding roads. It would be quicker and more direct to take the 111 from the aerial tram to the 10 west and follow the route I suggested. The other route will take a little longer- unless there are things along that way that you are interested in seeing and don’t mind adding the extra time to do it. You will see a lot of countryside and there will be less traffic than on the major highways I mapped out, but it will take more time in case you find yourself in a hurry to get to San Diego.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 22, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Keirasean
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Aims View Post
Yes, you could take that route and it will end up joining with the 15 south, then you could follow on from there as I laid out, but that route goes through a lot of mountains and winding roads. It would be quicker and more direct to take the 111 from the aerial tram to the 10 west and follow the route I suggested. The other route will take a little longer- unless there are things along that way that you are interested in seeing and don’t mind adding the extra time to do it. You will see a lot of countryside and there will be less traffic than on the major highways I mapped out, but it will take more time in case you find yourself in a hurry to get to San Diego.
Hi Amy. Sorry about so many questions. Google directions say this journey is only 20 minutes longer. Is it a more scenic route… so worth the extra time?
Keirasean is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 22, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We have done the tramway a couple of times and think you need more than an hour.

Will be in Palm Springs in August and will visit both again as we love both.

Shame you are not spending a couple of days in Palm Springs as a visit to Joshua Tree is a must!

Edited at 09:12 AM.
TractorBoy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 22, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Keirasean View Post
Hi Amy. Sorry about so many questions. Google directions say this journey is only 20 minutes longer. Is it a more scenic route… so worth the extra time?
It is more scenic, mountains and rural countryside mostly until you get into Temecula and close to the I-15. It’s a more interesting drive than taking all the freeways, so it’s worth it. I just automatically think of going the most direct, quickest way possible and sometimes forget that a new visitor might enjoy seeing the differences in scenery here. 😊

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 22, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Definitely go to the tramway .
We spent a good amount of time up the top.
The air is so clean.
The view from the top fantastic .
One of the highlights of our trip. You would be really missing out if you just went up and pretty well straight down.
Unfortunately the link to my photobook doesn’t work anymore but I will try to add a few photos if I can find some
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads

Edited at 05:07 PM.
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 22, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
AlexE
Imagineer

AlexE's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Tramway is amazing but in my opinion more than a short visit is required, particularly when the cost is nearly $30 each.

An alternative may be Joshua Tree NP which will give amazing views over Coachella and the fault line - and if you have a NP pass will be fee although if paying on the day is around $15.

Sorry to throw something else in the mix.
Old 3 Jun 22, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Aims View Post
It is more scenic, mountains and rural countryside mostly until you get into Temecula and close to the I-15. It’s a more interesting drive than taking all the freeways, so it’s worth it. I just automatically think of going the most direct, quickest way possible and sometimes forget that a new visitor might enjoy seeing the differences in scenery here. 😊
I think the 30 minutes or so longer drive is so worth it to see mountains, forests, lakes, desert etc; we loved seeing the variety of sceneries in such a relatively short drive; a real shame to save just 30 minutes & go on motorways instead.

Edited at 08:47 PM.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 22, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by TractorBoy View Post
We have done the tramway a couple of times and think you need more than an hour.

Will be in Palm Springs in August and will visit both again as we love both.

Shame you are not spending a couple of days in Palm Springs as a visit to Joshua Tree is a must!
True; we spent 4 days in Palm Springs; loved it!
Tramway
Joshua Tree
Sunnylands
Cabot Pueblo Indian Museum
PioneerTown
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 22, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Keirasean
Excited about Disney

Thank you everyone for your replies. I will definitely do the tramway and put aside more time to enjoy it, book in advance and go the 20 min longer route. Thanks again (ps my husband is scared of heights 🙈 says it makes his legs go funny but kids and I will love it &#128522