Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 5 Jun 22, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Guidebook recommendations

Hi,
We’re looking to go to the West Coast next year but I feel as lost as I did the first time we went to Florida, the more I read the more I don’t really know where to start.
So, what are the best guidebooks for a California newbie please? The places we thought we wanted to go include SF, coast down to LA, Yosemite possibly Vegas but now thinking about scrapping LA, everyone’s posts throw up so many more options
I’m thinking of going to a travel agent such as Trailfinders and getting them to book something for us but I’d like a good idea of what we want to do beforehand.
Thanks
June/July 2019: New York, Riu Plaza & Orlando, villa Sunset Lakes, HRH
Hopefulholiday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 22, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
zoemoo
Apprentice Imagineer

zoemoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 13
Not sure about guidebooks these days but I think it’s a good idea to book some sort of package.we actually booked with BA - flights and then just o e of the hotels. The others are then is online agencies such as booking.com it worked out a little cheaper and they all have the ability to cancel with no charge if we change our plans…
I’ve used the internet for most research it’s up to date and given us what we needed, given all that’s gone on perhaps this would be a better option than a book right now?
Can recommend Monterey or Carmel as a place to stop over, a lovely place to visit
Old 5 Jun 22, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Thanks for your reply, yes guidebooks are a bit old fashioned I agree I just sometimes find they distill the key points into one place and the I can go and seek further info elsewhere. Plus I think there is something nice about browsing something physical, not sure why as all my other reading is on my iPad/phone/Kindle Good point about things having changed a guidebook gets out of date very quickly. I’ve now found a few sites to use in addition to the Dibb so hopefully will all become a bit clearer!
Thanks again.
Hopefulholiday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 22, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Hi! I think that the Rough Guide and Lonely Planet books are usually good. I would also recommend checking out the official California travel website: visitcalifornia/ There is loads of good information on there. 😊

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 22, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Thank you!
Old 6 Jun 22, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi your probably on the best guide book here. To start with simply do a search of top 30 attractions on California. Get an idea of what your interested in and start planning. I suppose 1st big decision is length of trip. 2/3 weeks ideal. We’ve had a couple of 18 day trips which where ideal.
Our first trip
Santa Barbara, pch, Monterey , San Fran, Yosemite ,Vegas Palm Springs.
2 nd trip with a bit beyond California
Denver, Yellowstone, Lake Tahoe, Monterey, San Fran
Keep the questions coming

Edited at 08:44 AM.
jdouds is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 22, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Fudge123
slightly serious Dibber

We’re going in September and having been watching some California Road Trip Vlogs which have been really useful in the planning.

Phil, Emma, Ben and Pollly (Phil includes the distance travelled and time taken between each place).

Life with Lisa

Nicky Furmage

The Lodge Guys

We’ve also bought lonely planet guide books for SF and LA, and a map of SF and also a California map ( I love maps ).

We’ve also got a lot of info from here, especially for hotels that people recommend.
Old 6 Jun 22, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 53
Agree that the best guide book is the DIBB. When we did the PCH together with Anaheim, San Francisco and Vegas, I read lots of trip reports from previous travelers and even though I bought a couple of guide books, I rarely used them. There’s nothing quite like reading how real people do things.
Floridafan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List