Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 5 Jun 22, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Your visit to Tokyo Disney will shock you in the most pleasant ways.

All those Western things that you just take for granted and do not noticed (thoughtlessness, bad manners, not consideration for others) when they do not happen in Tokyo Disney it will be a most pleasant shock.

The front line or so on the parade route, sit on the ground so others behind get a great view - is but one example.

No one stands in front of you, holds up an iPad / small child to block your view - it just does not happen.
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 22, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
Family fart. 😂 Was that the egg sandwiches?
Think will leave that typo in lol
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 22, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
jampxx
Excited about Disney

Thanks for this link to cakes with faces. Her guides are so good, answered so many questions.
jampxx is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 22, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

It has been a while since my trip which was in 2008! I never thought I would leave it this long for a second visit but we will finally be back in 2023, I think it will be November possibly September.

Obviously there is a big language barrier, but even in 2008 I don’t remember having any difficulty getting around and we used the Tokyo subway extensively as well as travelling across the country on bullet trains. We used guidebook street maps back then and there are English translations on their signs.

Some of the Japanese food was a bit out there even for us and we are unfussy, adventurous eaters, but this was at very traditional venues, for example dinner in the ryokan we stayed at. But it is a city at the end of the day, you are not going to struggle to find suitable things to eat.
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 22, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Ladyshopper
Imagineer

Originally Posted by AntonyJ View Post
This was me before the May 2019 trip we had.

I do not try new foods easily, am not a fan of fish and thought would eat at McD / KFC etc for every meal but that was not the case. The combini stores like 7-11 / Family fart sell hot and cold foods of such quality, they were so nice and reasonably priced. The egg mayo sandwich I got once was the finest I have every had for example. Read my other posts about how I was "shamed" into trying sushi and ended up loving it!

Language - as others have said a smile, pointing and holding up fingers gets you a long way. In preparation for Olympics, Tokyo stations, signs in general has been upgraded to be English and in Japanese and never had any issues in Tokyo. At Disney we had no issues and stayed when there at Tokyo Bay Hilton and they spoke English.

Google maps on my iPhone was a wonder, telling us which train to get, how to get to that platform in the station - in never let us down.

What sort of things will your 11 year old eat ?
I went in Jan 2020 to visit my son, who was working out there. I stayed at the hotel he was working at, and have mobility problems, so didn't venture out too much from there (I did do Disney with my son and girlfriend at the end of the trip though!).

Being vegetarian was a bit of a problem, I pretty much survived on those glorious egg mayo sandwiches from the 7-11 that was close to the hotel. They were amazing!

I really want to go back to take my husband to Disney (he had no leave left when I went), but as well as being veggie, I'm also now gluten free as well. I think the combination of both will be problematic, as even just being veggie was quite hard, even at Disney. Am therefore hoping to combine a trip to Tokyo Disney with a cruise in that area at some point in the next couple of years, as can take a load of food to do us for a few days, but probably not enough to last for a full 2 week holiday there!

Anyway, your comment about the egg mayo sandwiches made me remember how lush they were, and be sad that now I'm gluten free, I wouldn't be able to sample them again out there!
Ladyshopper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 22, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Ladyshopper View Post
I went in Jan 2020 to visit my son, who was working out there. I stayed at the hotel he was working at, and have mobility problems, so didn't venture out too much from there (I did do Disney with my son and girlfriend at the end of the trip though!).

Being vegetarian was a bit of a problem, I pretty much survived on those glorious egg mayo sandwiches from the 7-11 that was close to the hotel. They were amazing!

I really want to go back to take my husband to Disney (he had no leave left when I went), but as well as being veggie, I'm also now gluten free as well. I think the combination of both will be problematic, as even just being veggie was quite hard, even at Disney. Am therefore hoping to combine a trip to Tokyo Disney with a cruise in that area at some point in the next couple of years, as can take a load of food to do us for a few days, but probably not enough to last for a full 2 week holiday there!

Anyway, your comment about the egg mayo sandwiches made me remember how lush they were, and be sad that now I'm gluten free, I wouldn't be able to sample them again out there!
Am by no means an expert but think the vegan / veggie places to eat were mostly for tourists - and due to the pandemic many had closed as no tourists.

However - other people on here have mentioned vegan / vegetarian needs, so I post reports here as I see them online .
Old 23 Jun 22, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
LisaInWonderlnd
New Poster (2)

Hi! I went to Tokyo & Kyoto for 2 wks in April 2019 with my husband and then 6 y o fussy eater daughter, I'm vegetarian/dairy free myself. We did 3 days in Tokyo Disneyland, splashed out as it was my 40th, and stayed at the deluxe hotel that's opposite the entrance from Disneyland. They've got 2 parks there, Disneyland and Disneysea, connected by monorail to the train station etc. I found it a bit stressful booking the hotel, as I really wanted the Alice in Wonderland themed room and they went quick! Managed it in the end and the room was absolutely beautiful. Which made it a bit tricky to do a long day in the park as felt like we were 'wasting' the beautiful room. The rain was torrential on our second day but we had rain ponchos and had the best time ever, as hardly any queues! Walked straight in to Tower of Terror at 8pm In hindsight I would've wanted more time in the parks, maybe 2 days each at Disneyland and Disney Sea would've been good. Next time we go I'd also be more than happy to stay at any of the 'partner' hotels as long as it was near the monorail, that was such an easy & convenient way to move around.

Travelling in general in Japan felt really safe, yes there's a language barrier but someone will help if you're stuck. I would really recommend visiting the island of Odaiba off Tokyo, you go by ferry. There's a big shopping centre, with a Hello Kitty Cafe and a huge gundam robot outside! The Toyota Mega Web show room/theme park was brilliant too. My daughter got a 'driving licence' driving a kid size electric car!
Also I'd really recommend making a trip to the Studio Ghibli museum, it was absolutely beautiful.

Finding veggie food was a little bit trickier perhaps, but I did eat really well in the end. We did get a lot of food from conbenes (7/11 type corner shops) and 'american style' restaurants like Dennys.

Tokyo underground map looked a bit daunting initially, I watched a lot of youtube videos beforehand and we managed great in the end. It's easier to figure it out when you're actually there, if it makes sense? We didn't use cabs once, just the underground. I found videos from 'Paolo from Tokyo' on youtube really useful.

Edited at 07:11 PM.
LisaInWonderlnd is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 22, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by LisaInWonderlnd View Post
Hi! I went to Tokyo & Kyoto for 2 wks in April 2019 with my husband and then 6 y o fussy eater daughter, I'm vegetarian/dairy free myself. We did 3 days in Tokyo Disneyland, splashed out as it was my 40th, and stayed at the deluxe hotel that's opposite the entrance from Disneyland. They've got 2 parks there, Disneyland and Disneysea, connected by monorail to the train station etc. I found it a bit stressful booking the hotel, as I really wanted the Alice in Wonderland themed room and they went quick! Managed it in the end and the room was absolutely beautiful. Which made it a bit tricky to do a long day in the park as felt like we were 'wasting' the beautiful room. The rain was torrential on our second day but we had rain ponchos and had the best time ever, as hardly any queues! Walked straight in to Tower of Terror at 8pm In hindsight I would've wanted more time in the parks, maybe 2 days each at Disneyland and Disney Sea would've been good. Next time we go I'd also be more than happy to stay at any of the 'partner' hotels as long as it was near the monorail, that was such an easy & convenient way to move around.

Travelling in general in Japan felt really safe, yes there's a language barrier but someone will help if you're stuck. I would really recommend visiting the island of Odaiba off Tokyo, you go by ferry. There's a big shopping centre, with a Hello Kitty Cafe and a huge gundam robot outside! The Toyota Mega Web show room/theme park was brilliant too. My daughter got a 'driving licence' driving a kid size electric car!
Also I'd really recommend making a trip to the Studio Ghibli museum, it was absolutely beautiful.

Finding veggie food was a little bit trickier perhaps, but I did eat really well in the end. We did get a lot of food from conbenes (7/11 type corner shops) and 'american style' restaurants like Dennys.

Tokyo underground map looked a bit daunting initially, I watched a lot of youtube videos beforehand and we managed great in the end. It's easier to figure it out when you're actually there, if it makes sense? We didn't use cabs once, just the underground. I found videos from 'Paolo from Tokyo' on youtube really useful.
Welcome to the Dibb.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 22, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
LisaInWonderlnd
New Poster (2)

Thanks! we're now counting down to our first WDW trip, 2 wks in Art of Animation Little Mermaid room beginning of August, cannot wait! Rescheduled from 2020, fingers crossed it'll actually happen this time :/
LisaInWonderlnd is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List