Notices
UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 25 Jun 22, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Wow, thank you all so much for designing my trip, I can draw up a proper plan from your suggestions.

Linda xx

I’ll definitely re-think the time I spend in Glasgow.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 22, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

I live in Edinburgh and the weather is not that bad on the whole (and it rains everywhere - even in England!). If you are unlucky there are museums and galleries galore. In addition to the above mentioned there’s the Peoples Museum, Writers Museum and Childrens Museum (all free and on the Royal Mile) and many more - the Bank of Scotland HQ on the Mound has a small museum for instance (free). When wandering down the Royal Mile it is worth popping down the various closes - some have secret gardens.

We have the Botanic Gardens and Edinburgh Zoo (we still have the pandas).
You will not be short of things to see and do. If you like whisky or gin there are various tasting tours around the city.

For shopping I recommend George Street (for dining also) and the new St James Quarter. Princes Street is not great anymore. A lot of the big stores are being converted into hotels.

Edit: There are free tours of the Scottish Parliament (if you are interested I suggest booking early). The Parliament building is much nicer inside than outside in my opinion. The Parliament building is right next to Holyrood Palace and Dynamic Earth is nearby. It is also at the foot of Arthur’s Seat.

Edited at 02:07 PM.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 22, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
beaker72
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

beaker72's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 6
The open top bus is a good way of getting round Glasgow, especially if you're only spending a day there and want to see the main attractions (Travel Museum aka Riverside Museum and Kelvingrove).

If you're only going to do one thing in Glasgow, I'd recommend Kelvingrove art gallery. It's world class.

Edinburgh is much prettier and more touristy, and I'm saying that as a Glaswegian.
beaker72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 22, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Stan1805
Serious Dibber

I know you won’t have a car so a bit of the beaten track. However, you could take a short train journey to south Queensferry. It’s very quaint and you get a magnificent view of the three bridges. The rail bridge, The Forth road bridge and the new Queensferry crossing. There are some nice places for lunch or just coffee and cake or perhaps something a bit stronger 🍸🍷🍹
Stan1805 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 22, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stan1805 View Post
I know you won’t have a car so a bit of the beaten track. However, you could take a short train journey to south Queensferry. It’s very quaint and you get a magnificent view of the three bridges. The rail bridge, The Forth road bridge and the new Queensferry crossing. There are some nice places for lunch or just coffee and cake or perhaps something a bit stronger 🍸🍷🍹
I had thought about that also - I think maybe one of the HOHO buses go there but could be wrong. I also thought of the Kelpies but there is only so much someone can fit in.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 22, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Perthite
Very Serious Dibber

Just remembered another tip for central Edinburgh - the Surgeons Hall medical museum. Something very interesting and a bit different, but perhaps not for the squeamish!
Perthite is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 22, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
disneydaft
Getting Excited

Mary Kings Close as has already been mentioned is excellent.
Would also highly recommend an evening ghost walk - Cityofedinburghtours.com do a great one!
Afternoon tea at the Witchery is also superb.
disneydaft is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 22, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
I had thought about that also - I think maybe one of the HOHO buses go there but could be wrong. I also thought of the Kelpies but there is only so much someone can fit in.
I’d forgotten about the Kelpies, I’ll look into that.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 22, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
I’d forgotten about the Kelpies, I’ll look into that.
I love the Kelpies - it is also nice to walk along the canal. Then of course there is the Falkirk Wheel but I’m not sure about transport if you have no car to get from one to the other.
Old 25 Jun 22, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Stan1805
Serious Dibber

Sorry I keep thinking of things but you are going to need a month at this rate 😂A walk up Calton hill is lovely and not too strenuous. You get an amazing view over the city.
Stan1805 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List