Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Jun 22, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Security -particularly Manchester

Not sure where to put this

Security
Aside from one occasion leaving Orlando, neither of us have ever spent any particular length of time in security. 10-15 mins tops
We’ve seen so many vlogs (way before the recent airport chaos) where people have mentioned that they’ve paid for ‘fast track’ security or that they’ve spent over an hour going through security or just that it was a nightmare.
This seems to be an issue particularly in Manchester.
Why?
Have any of you particularly had issues?
We just get in line and wander through. I’m usually still trying to check for missed liquids (lip balm etc), and take my shoes off by the time it’s my turn! Not to the extent that I’m holding anyone up I might add.
OH is usually taken for and extra pat down (dodgy look about him 😉 ) and that is incredibly quick too
We have asked each other so many times during vlogs why anyone would pay for fast track but perhaps we’ve just been unbelievably lucky 🤷

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973

Edited at 04:01 PM.
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 22, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I put everything that needs to go in a tray into a plastic carrier bag in advance and keep it at the top of my hand luggage. Ipad, phone, liquids in their own small sealable plastic bag, earphones, coins etc. then I just need to put the carrier bag contents into the tray rather than ‘fishing out’ individual items from the hand luggage bag. Much quicker
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 22, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Fluffypenguin
Imagineer

I don’t take my shoes off unless they have a heel. I was always told you don’t need to unless it has a heel.

I’ve never felt like I’ve ever held anyone up though. I don’t have any liquids, so I just put everything in my bag and onto the tray.

I did get fast track this time as I was with my mum who struggles to stand for long periods. I’m glad I did as the queue did look big.

The only time I’ve really had issues (pre covid) was in T3. They always seem to be quite slow in there.
Fluffypenguin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 22, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

I’ve bought a see through wash bag before to make life easier but I was instructed to empty it into one of the plastic bags!

We’ve simply not experienced any delays aside from the one experienced in Orlando and I think that was after a lots of storm delays.
I was just curious why anyone would pay?

I’m beginning to wonder if the vloggers get a cut when people pay for fast track as it seems it’s probably completely unnecessary!

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 22, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Fluffypenguin
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Vanillapod View Post
I’ve bought a see through wash bag before to make life easier but I was instructed to empty it into one of the plastic bags!

We’ve simply not experienced any delays aside from the one experienced in Orlando and I think that was after a lots of storm delays.
I was just curious why anyone would pay?

I’m beginning to wonder if the vloggers get a cut when people pay for fast track as it seems it’s probably completely unnecessary!
It’s only £5pp so not exactly expensive and I guess some people just don’t like to wait. I’d probably get it again as it was so much easier with my mum to skip the queue!
Fluffypenguin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 22, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I get fast track as I find it painful to stand for too long
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 22, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lola View Post
I get fast track as I find it painful to stand for too long
I would completely understand that. My question was really how many Dibbers have ever had to wait because we have not come across an issue. We just wal on through. Maybe a slow amble but not a wait.
We just found all the talk of it in vlogs surprising

Old 26 Jun 22, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Always use MAN, never have an issue - flown twice this year from there (Terminal 2) and through security in less than 10 minutes.
The problem seems to be early morning with there being way more departing flights than at other times of day. It is also being exacerbated, ironically enough, by people getting there too early! Sheer volume of people.

It is amazing though watching some people look surprised that they haven’t read the signs/didn’t know about taking stuff like liquids etc. out of their hand luggage. Not sure that the airports can give out any more information
BTW - last time we flew out of MAN (end April) they didn’t want electronics out of the bags. I wish they’d stop changing the rules!

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 22, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Always use MAN, never have an issue - flown twice this year from there (Terminal 2) and through security in less than 10 minutes.
The problem seems to be early morning with there being way more departing flights than at other times of day. It is also being exacerbated, ironically enough, by people getting there too early! Sheer volume of people.

It is amazing though watching some people look surprised that they haven’t read the signs/didn’t know about taking stuff like liquids etc. out of their hand luggage. Not sure that the airports can give out any more information
BTW - last time we flew out of MAN (end April) they didn’t want electronics out of the bags. I wish they’d stop changing the rules!
We are always pretty organised but I am often checking for rogue items.
We saw people having multiple 2 litre Pepsi bottles being removed once.
Clearly not an accident! How did they think it would go unnoticed? 😂

Old 26 Jun 22, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
kathrynmc
Dibbing with Tink

Originally Posted by Vanillapod View Post
I would completely understand that. My question was really how many Dibbers have ever had to wait because we have not come across an issue. We just wal on through. Maybe a slow amble but not a wait.
We just found all the talk of it in vlogs surprising
In 2018 we were queuing around T2 at Manchester to get through security, after waiting for quite some time my DH went and paid for express. They were taking people out of queue so they wouldn’t miss flights.
kathrynmc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List