Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 28 Jun 22, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
skstorm
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by irnjaw View Post
I spoke with Alamo about this, they said you get driver + spouse regardless where you book your Alamo rental from:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1227886

However, if you need a 2nd driver (friend, other relative) you'd need at least Silver Inclusive cover
Did you get that in writing at all please? I asked us car hire that exact question

the insurance is silver basic Inclusive and it is with Alamo. It states it includes 1 driver but Alamo have previously included the spouse with 1 driver. Can you clarify please if only 1 driver would be covered or if it would include 1 driver and spouse. Thank you

and their response was

hank you for your email.

The spouse is only included if you book directly with Alamo. To get the 2 drivers you would need to either book the Silver Inclusive which includes an additional driver, or the Gold which includes up to 4 drivers and the tank of fuel. So you pick-up full and return it empty at no additional cost.

So I would not be 100% sure that a spouse was covered, I will have a look at the T's &C's later to see if it says anything
Old 28 Jun 22, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
irnjaw
Very Serious Dibber

My question to Alamo was:

Hello. I am aware that driver and spouse are covered as standard to drive an Alamo rental, but what I'd like to know is: if I book an Alamo rental through a 3rd party site, do I still get my spouse as a free 2nd driver? Some companies want me to take out additional cover to include a 2nd driver, but I thought it would come as standard with an Alamo rental, regardless of where I make the reservation. I look forward to your response

Their response to me was:

Thank you for choosing Alamo for your car rental needs! My name is Michelle. I will be happy to help you today.

You may have your spouse as an additional driver at no additional charge whether you book through us or a third party!

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance. Have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,

Michelle

Alamo Support Services

First trip to Florida: June 2013
First family trip: Disney Oct 2019
Latest family trip to Florida: Treasure Island, Universal October 2022
irnjaw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 22, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
irnjaw
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by skstorm View Post
So I would not be 100% sure that a spouse was covered, I will have a look at the T's &C's later to see if it says anything
I have been chopping and changing the last few days around US Car Hire and DFCH before finally booking with Alamo Brits. As far as I see it USCH and DFCH are the same thing: they are third party brokers. Andy at DFCH shows that 2 drivers (driver and spouse) are given with an Alamo rental. So why would USCH not? USCH told me I needed the Silver Inclusive to have my husband on the rental too but I just don't think this is the right advice and it means I lost confidence in what they were telling me, especially since Alamo told me you get driver and spouse regardless of where you book.

When I booked with Alamo Brits I put my driver's licence info into their system to allow me to skip the counter (the main reason I paid a little extra to go with Alamo Brits), it asked for additional driver info but you check a box if the additional driver is partner/spouse. At the point of checking the box the requirement for adding additional driver details is no longer required. As I understand it all we need to do is show both our licences to the attendant manning the exit gate from the parking garage.

In a way I think US Car Hire are at it, or they need to get their knowledge brought up to speed.

irnjaw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 22, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
skstorm
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by irnjaw View Post
My question to Alamo was:

Hello. I am aware that driver and spouse are covered as standard to drive an Alamo rental, but what I'd like to know is: if I book an Alamo rental through a 3rd party site, do I still get my spouse as a free 2nd driver? Some companies want me to take out additional cover to include a 2nd driver, but I thought it would come as standard with an Alamo rental, regardless of where I make the reservation. I look forward to your response

Their response to me was:

Thank you for choosing Alamo for your car rental needs! My name is Michelle. I will be happy to help you today.

You may have your spouse as an additional driver at no additional charge whether you book through us or a third party!

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance. Have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,

Michelle

Alamo Support Services
Brill thanks for this - I am constantly checking uscarhire/ andy and alamo brits - our 2nd driver is more of a back up than we definitely need it and this year with prices being so high for a 3 week hire we have to go with the lowest price although we have decided we are going to stick with Alamo. We are going to try and make do with a std SUV and they have been dropping recently but Alamo brits is still a lot higher than uscarhire which actually just went under £1500 so will just keep checking but this is good to know.
Old 28 Jun 22, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
irnjaw
Very Serious Dibber

We both like to drive. I said I'd do the driving for the 3 weeks if I had to but his nose was out of joint at the thought of that. Also, he is a rubbish navigator so it's best we share the driving haha

We started with a standard SUV which at time of booking at £1100 with USCH, by the time I paid it off the exchange rate made it over £1200. So we cancelled that and got a refund. Standard SUV was down to £1050 but then we started looking at the bigger cars. We had a Tahoe last time and fancied a Suburban this time, but I've settled for a Tahoe again at £1332 for the 3 weeks. Booking direct with Alamo gives us the perk of going straight to the car too. Find a price you're happy to pay and then forget about it.

Old 28 Jun 22, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Norah22
Serious Dibber

I found this
alamo/en/customer-su...al-driver.html
Norah22 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 22, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
skstorm
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Norah22 View Post
now I'm confused again - this was on the same page
Please Note: When booking via a third party; the relationship is with the Tour Operator and not Alamo directly. As a result; Alamo Insiders benefits will not apply.
are they saying the free spouse driver is an insider benefit?
Old 28 Jun 22, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by skstorm View Post
now I'm confused again - this was on the same page
Please Note: When booking via a third party; the relationship is with the Tour Operator and not Alamo directly. As a result; Alamo Insiders benefits will not apply.
are they saying the free spouse driver is an insider benefit?
Would each third party provider not have its own relationship with Alamo and their own terms and conditions with us the customers. To me the contract is with the third party and it will be down to them to clearly define what is and is not covered.

With car hire, I will always be cautious as the potential consequences of getting it wrong can horrendous - especially where the insurance is concerned - in particular the third party element.

Edited at 06:31 PM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 22, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
irnjaw
Very Serious Dibber

Alamo Insiders is a loyalty program where you earn points per rental, you're privvy to "special" discounts and codes. I don't think it has anything to do with fundamentals like spouse as free additional driver. I think you're looking at this too much and confusing the whole thing. I've done that before. Stop now

Old 28 Jun 22, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
irnjaw
Very Serious Dibber

Get all your queries written down. Go here:

alamo.ehcustomersupport/en-us

Ask all the questions, then you'll have all the answers in one place. They're dead helpful. Some clarity might help you put this to bed