Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 Jun 22, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
AnnieB
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I’m another who doesn’t really watch Disney films, doesn’t buy merchandise, and sees the cultism that WDW seems to have manifested itself.
I do like the resorts and until last trip liked going to the parks but that is now waning.
I am waiting to see if we go Xmas 2023 and will re-assess but my love for WDW has definitely taken a tumble. A low point was when we were in MK at Xmas and I just thought we and the other guests were largely being taken advantage of with such a poor product for the money and taking its customers for granted.
Therefore we were fans, but not so much that our fandom cannot be broken and we decide never to return. Some are very obsessive.
We have not got anything Disney in the house, aside from some DVC and AP magnets on the fridge in the garage.
This is how we feel too. We have been watching the vlogs where people wander round the shops, chatting excitedly about all the overpriced merchandise. It seems many people are eager to blow a LOT of money on stuff they don't really need because it says "Disney" on the label.

We are not the type to decorate our house with Disney stuff and I must admit I find it slightly tacky. My brother in law has Disney décor in every room of the house. They are obsessed. Although it's not my style at all, it makes them happy, so what's the problem?

What I did like about Disney World as a holiday was that they seemed to genuinely want people to come and have the best time, without stress, e.g. being whisked away at the airport on the Magical Express, staff making the extra effort to create special memories and experiences.

We have not been recently, but it seems most of that special magic is gone and has been replaced by a strong sense of corporate greed. Everything now has a price sticker and it sounds like standards have slipped.
AnnieB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 22, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I wouldn’t say I love Disney , nor do I hate it .

But if it wasn’t for our granddaughter who at 3 loves all things Disney , I doubt we would ever do the parks again.

My husband and I went to Disneyland without the kids a few years back , We didn’t queue for characters and didn’t do any of the rides like Dumbo .

I also don’t own Disney clothing .

But each to their own. , Doesn’t affect me if adults want to spend all their time and money with all things Disney.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 22, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I genuinely don't care what people choose to do but I did feel very uncomfortable about a single man "flirting" with the not at all ugly sisters. But I was probably irritated because we were next in queue and he went on and on. We had the same at Frozen when having queued for ages the adults in front sort of cut back into our session and the cast member didn't seem to be able to deal with that and tried to rush the children along instead.

On the other hand I have seen many on here be very snobby about AI holidays so perhaps we should all be more tolerant.
I totally agree about the AI holiday’s on here , I’ve seen some awful posts from people asking why you’d spend all that money to lay on a beach .

I don’t mind a week in somewhere like Tenerife , its no less enjoyable than the USA just different
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 22, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinks2014
Imagineer

I love a bit of merchandise. I do have Disney decor in my kitchen and I love it. It makes me smile and it makes a change from a clinical look that lacked personality from what I had before. I have a couple of photo frames and a Tinks ornament that my children bought me .
Our house number is Disney. I have Disney Christmas ornaments. If it’s not for you it doesn’t mean it’s tacky it’s a different taste. I wouldn’t call anyone’s style or what they are into tacky. Many of us have loved Disney long before some people were born and long before the media of today. Maybe social media and so many videos etc takes away some of the magic . Too many people were constantly glued to their phones last week. It’s didn’t matter whether it was the parade or a show blocking others as they held their arms up.
Tinks2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 22, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

What surprises me about Dibb is the lack of desire to travel around the USA. There’s some notable exceptions, but so many just stick to Disney or Orlando, then so many will branch out to Florida, then another group will go to NYC, Vegas or Disneyland. But it’s an amazing country, very easy to navigate and you know the standards you’ll get at a chain hotel or whatever, the food is similar throughout but the different areas of the country can be very different but with a familiarity.
I know CFB is always advocating this, but seriously, if you like Orlando get out and see other states including the ones not on the obvious tourist lists, you’ll likely have a fantastic time all over.
There’s much more to the USA than Disney and I think some people on here are actually fans of just visiting the USA but don’t realise what they would gain from wider travel in the USA. Yes Disney is ‘easy’ and ultra familiar to many, but it doesn’t really deserve our business at the moment.

Edited at 11:22 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 22, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
I totally agree about the AI holiday’s on here , I’ve seen some awful posts from people asking why you’d spend all that money to lay on a beach .

I don’t mind a week in somewhere like Tenerife , its no less enjoyable than the USA just different
That was my point but you convey it better. There is so much snobbery about the AI holidays, the week in Turkey, but some those same people will go nowhere but Florida.
I like to go everywhere but love a cruise.My inlaws like to go to Benidorm. My Dad likes France/Belgium and a cottage in the UK, my sister alternates between Mexico and Tenerife. If it makes people happy go for it
Old 29 Jun 22, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
People spend far too much of their time worrying about how other people spend their money and time.

I don't care where you go on holiday as long as I'm not paying for it. When your paying for my holiday you can comment.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 22, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinks2014
Imagineer

But isn’t that it ? People have choices they can explore the rest of the USA if they choose to do so .
If someone chooses to go to Disney every year that’s their choice. We went to DLP last week haven’t been to Orlando since 2017 and New York 2018. We are looking at California for 2024. We do go to other places.loved Barbados, several Greek Islands. Have done AI in Cape Verde in 2019 . love Italy Venice,sorrento and Rome . We have krakow, kefalonia and return to Cape Verde although a different island next year.
It’s our choice and we are happy with where we choose to go .

Edited at 12:10 PM.
Tinks2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 22, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
People spend far too much of their time worrying about how other people spend their money and time.

I don't care where you go on holiday as long as I'm not paying for it. When your paying for my holiday you can comment.
Exactly - I dont care what people think about my vacation plans.

The folks that know me know I have travelled the world (and with work so paid to do so) so where I choose to spend my £/$ is no ones business as I have seen it all and choose what I like and what I dont.

We all have different tastes - currently my Partner is in Vegas, I hate Vegas but he loves it. Shortly I am going to Margate with a friend - not his bag. Neither of us like AI type holidays but we do like "getting away(from UK weather)" so nothing much is ruled out.

I dont really care where others go but am interested to hear about their experiences and see their snaps.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 22, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Fluffypenguin
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
You get an awful lot of that on here. Will only contemplate going to the US, usually Florida but might try Cali. I find it very strange too, but then I want to go to (nearly) all the countries in the world
Oh I’m not judging or calling them strange, it was just an observation! Like I say, a week in turkey every year twice a year isn’t for me, but I have absolutely nothing against it. It’s not my money, not my holiday.

As I said in my post before that one, I really don’t care where people holiday, everyone likes different things and the world would be boring if we didn’t!

I quite often do a few nights on a beach holiday, not all inclusive because I have coeliac disease, but I do go to holiday resorts in Spain etc.

I mainly stick to Europe and USA and people probably think I’m odd as well.
Fluffypenguin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List