Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 27 Jun 22, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Nixx
Getting Excited

Avis Rental

Hi, we hopefully head over for our twice postponed holiday in September, for the first time we won’t be using Alamo for car hire as Andy at DFCH has found us a deal with Avis that’s a good 40% cheaper than Alamo. Which is unfortunate in some ways as I’ve always been hugely happy with Alamo, even in some bad situations.

Anyway, I have a couple of queries regarding Avis that I’m hoping someone may be able to help me with - I’ve searched online and through the forums and haven’t been able to find the info I’m after.

Firstly, since we’ve booked through DFCH I’ve not been able to link my preferred membership to my booking. I have emailed them a couple of times and sent a message through the app, but no response yet. Does this mean I’m faced with queueing at the rental desk in the terminal when we arrive? Or is there any way around it?

Secondly, we arrive and depart at MCO, but we also plan a little roadtrip up to Tennessee via Georgia and South & North Carolina. Obviously this rules out the Visitor Toll Pass. Based on the Avis website it also seems to suggest that there is no e-toll system that covers the states we’re going to be travelling through. Does this mean we’re looking at using only cash tolls? Or is there maybe a temporary toll pass system that would cover us, does anyone know?

TIA
Nixx is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 22, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Abbey36
VIP Dibber

Abbey36's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Sound like us! Really love Alamo but stuck with Avis, always book via Andy. We’re flying in & out via Miami so will be buying a sunpass pro. Im sure someone more knowledgeable will give you some more advice though as I think you’ll be better off with a VTP (visitor toll pass) not an option from Miami though. With regard to the linking of the booking I sent emails to them via a few different emails try uk.Reservations@abg.com or send them a dm on Twitter.

Cumbrian Lakes Villa 2 weeks March 2011

Sunset Lakes (Sue’s Villa) Aurora 3 weeks April 2017

Hard Rock Hotel/Sunset Lakes (Sue’s Villa) Aurora 3 weeks August 2019

Royal Pacific/Sunset Lakes 4 weeks August 2022
Abbey36 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 22, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
garryboy11
slightly serious Dibber

First, I’d say don’t give up on Alamo as prices may come down and thou can rebook via Andy.

That’s what happened to me, took Avis initially as much cheaper - despite hiring from Alamo every year previously.

Kept watching the prices and eventually Alamo came out cheaper than Avis so I rebooked.

I didn’t get round to registering for preferred but did see some folk on here that had success by contacting them via Twitter DM’s.
garryboy11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 22, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
We have used Avis a lot through BA. Always fine - to get your preferred added I would message them on twitter - that worked for me in the past.

On our East Coast Road Trip in 2018 - further North than you are going - some roads had no cash option for tolls - and we had to pay the avis toll charges.

This says Georgia has no toll roads - only tolls for express lanes.

North Carolina - only seems to have 2 toll roads - a bit of research before you go is a good idea I think

I think I started using tollguru each evening before travel to see best routes - couple of times I was $25 to cross a bridge in new york area
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 22, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Nixx
Getting Excited

Many thanks for the replies, managed to get Avis to link my bookings to preferred so that’s one thing taken care of.

As for tolls, I guess I have some more research to do!
Nixx is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 22, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
MarkUK
Imagineer

Experts tell me if i am wrong but I am sure you still need to go to the desk the first time using Avis Preferred? - After that, your name should be on the board and you can skip it...
MarkUK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 22, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Welshjim22
Apprentice Imagineer

Used both Alamo and Avis and both were fine. Alamo is better at MCO because you can choose your vehicle from the appropriate row.
Welshjim22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List