Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 28 Jun 22, 06:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Wiltshire
Getting to know the DIBB

Driving from Miami to Orlando

First time to Florida and super excited albeit nervous about driving from Miami to Orlando.

We are flying in to Miami, staying the night then setting off the next day. It was much cheaper that way but now keep reading aboot how dodgy Florida traffic and reckless driving is - should never have googled!

We plan to take the US27 for a slower easier journey, is that a good idea?

Also, any suggestions of places to stop and eat on the way?
Wiltshire is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 22, 07:03 AM  
Link to this Post
youre-nicked
VIP Dibber

Lots of people on here doing the same, the 27 is slower and goes through a few towns with the usual places to eat so that shouldn't be a problem.

I booked the flights without even thinking about staying over near or in Miami and when I did look at adding a day the prices went up considerably so I'm just driving straight up to Orlando, after the flight I just want to get there so I'm using the Turnpike and found a few service stations to stop at. Luckily I normally manage a couple of hours sleep on the plane which will help.

As for the driving over there Ive never had any issues and if the standard has fallen it cant be any worse than over here, as a traffic cop if I was on commission I would have retired very rich a few years ago

And welcome to The Dibb.

Edited at 07:05 AM.
youre-nicked is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 22, 07:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Bondy007
Imagineer

The 27 is my preferred route, we've never done Miami before, it's always been either Sanford or MCO. So this August will be interesting, we're hitting the road once we land..!
Just relax and take your time, ignore (to a point!) other drivers, the roads are big enough to not worry about other drivers - but stay focussed.
Old 28 Jun 22, 07:13 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I take the Turnpike.
No need to worry, it’s easier than driving here.
Turnpike when you get on that is much quieter than our motorways.
Old 28 Jun 22, 07:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Wiltshire
Getting to know the DIBB

These messages have really put my mind at ease, really appreciate it thank you.

Everyone I’ve spoke to has questioned why we are driving from Miami so started to think it was just us doing it!
Old 28 Jun 22, 07:33 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Wiltshire View Post
These messages have really put my mind at ease, really appreciate it thank you.

Everyone I’ve spoke to has questioned why we are driving from Miami so started to think it was just us doing it!
I’d take no notice- I’d question why you wouldn’t drive from Miami. It’s a lot quicker to drive than say driving from Leeds to Devon or vice versa and very few would get on a plane for that journey.
The most difficult bit you’ll find is navigating out of Miami but even that is easy on big wide roads.
If you want it quieter and quick, take the turnpike. You can knock an hour off. Bit boring though as for quite a bit of it you are going through swamps/ farmland.
Old 28 Jun 22, 07:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Sara_toga
VIP Dibber

We are flying into Miami for the first time. Why? Because it was over £1000 cheaper for the 3 of us than flying into MCO.

We are staying overnight near the airport and heading up first thing in the morning. We are not sure which route yet.
Old 28 Jun 22, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Wiltshire
Getting to know the DIBB

Exactly, it was over £1000 cheaper for us too!

Anyone else going end of July? Again, I’ve been told I’m mad to go as it will be so hot but it’s the only time we could go. Am prepping for the heat with cool clothes, cold cloths etc.

My husband keeps saying ‘you know people live in Florida during the summer you know?’ Haha
Old 28 Jun 22, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sara_toga View Post
We are flying into Miami for the first time. Why? Because it was over £1000 cheaper for the 3 of us than flying into MCO.

We are staying overnight near the airport and heading up first thing in the morning. We are not sure which route yet.
Many people do that what which can be a good idea. The prices are often much cheaper as you say. And I dislike last days of holidays, hanging around until that 5pm flight so setting off back for Miami at 9am would be no issue for us as it’s an interesting little road trip after being kicked out of the room.

However, in case anyone is wondering, there’s no need to stay over in Miami either of you don’t really want to. Assuming the flight is in by 5 and not midnight, it’s no hassle driving to Orlando. But I’m a confident US driver who has driven in over 20 States so appreciate some may want to stay over. Just saying for anyone watching this thread and thinking about not wanting to stay over but avail themselves of cheaper Miami flights, no it’s not necessary it’s only 3.5 hours. I often drive back from say, London, at 10pm to Leeds. Not much different. It’s a more relaxing experience probably though to stay over.

If flying into Miami though it’s a good excuse to stop a few nights in Miami Beach or the coast.

At Xmas we are booked in at DVC Vero Beach first so I’ll be driving to that off the plane which is actually a nice halfway point to Orlando. After some nights in Universal we are driving back down on Xmas Eve to get a cruise from Port Miami so will set off early for that one.

I once got off a plane after our flight to Atlanta was delayed 12 hours, and drove to the Smokey Mountains. I’ve also got off the plane a few times in Orlando and driven to Naples/ Bonita. No bother, and gets you where you want to be to start the holiday in earnest.

A few years ago we were in Indian Shores and drove from there on the West Coast, down to near Naples and across Alligator Alley to get a cruise out of Port Miami. Think we set off about 7am for that one.

Edited at 08:03 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 22, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

We have used three routes, turnpike, coastal and 27 but now stick to the 27 as once out of Miami it is a very easy drive and very straight forward. We normally drive straight up if we have not chosen to have a few days in the area first. Heading back down on the 27 is also very straight forward as you turn right off the 27 at N Le Jeune then left into the airport and follow the signs for car rental returns.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List