Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Jun 22, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Peanut allergy treatment

This is great news bbc/news/uk-england-norfolk-61931090
Old 28 Jun 22, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

I so hope it works & is readily available to those who need it.
I know how challenging & stressful it is to manage a child with food allergies( eggs, dairy, oranges). Always carrying meds, stressed about parties/sleepovers etc, making & taking food everywhere.
This will be life changing for the entire family.

(Just packed my Gluten Free food for the day as off to help with a house move)
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 22, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post

I really hope this works and is rolled out so that my little boy doesn’t have to live such a restricted and fearful of food life.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 22, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
This is great news bbc/news/uk-england-norfolk-61931090
My Neice works for that team very proud of them. Totally life changing for people x
Old 29 Jun 22, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Our son is now 30 - and has had a few anaphylactic shock episodes - mainly with sauces where peanuts were not mentioned, but the worst one when he ate a cookie with a peanut by mistake - and his life was saved by having very prompt medical treatment. (he needed more than insulin)

Really glad to hear this news - but had hoped when they found a treatment it would be for all ages.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 22, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinks2014
Imagineer

It’s good news . I had my children in that hospital.
Tinks2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 22, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Lilpickle08
slightly serious Dibber

This kind of immunotherapy treatment has been happening in the US for over 10 years now, we are way behind!

We flew to Atlanta 3 years ago to start treatment (stayed for 3 weeks). My peanut allergic daughter left Atlanta being able to tolerate half a peanut (life changing) and now eats 6 peanut M&Ms a day to retain her immunity.

It's fab that we are now seeing advances in the UK but if anybody is interested in this sort of treatment in the US please let me know.

We looked at my daughter undergoing immunotherapy at Addenbrooks in London but it was far cheaper for 4 of us to fly to Atlanta and have a holiday!
Lilpickle08 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 22, 05:54 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Lilpickle08 View Post
This kind of immunotherapy treatment has been happening in the US for over 10 years now, we are way behind!

We flew to Atlanta 3 years ago to start treatment (stayed for 3 weeks). My peanut allergic daughter left Atlanta being able to tolerate half a peanut (life changing) and now eats 6 peanut M&Ms a day to retain her immunity.

It's fab that we are now seeing advances in the UK but if anybody is interested in this sort of treatment in the US please let me know.

We looked at my daughter undergoing immunotherapy at Addenbrooks in London but it was far cheaper for 4 of us to fly to Atlanta and have a holiday!
Do she still have to carry epipens/jext?

Has she had any reactions since undergoing it? And aside from eating the daily amount does she still have to avoid?

Hope you don’t mind me asking these questions.
Old 2 Jul 22, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Lilpickle08
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by RiverandMummy View Post
Do she still have to carry epipens/jext?

Has she had any reactions since undergoing it? And aside from eating the daily amount does she still have to avoid?

Hope you don’t mind me asking these questions.
Hi yes she still carries epi pens, everyone who undergoes immunotherapy is still recommended to carry them.

No, no reactions (touch wood).

We no longer read packaging (she could never have 'may contains'), we can eat out at any restaurant without fear - Thai, Chinese, Indian. So in that respect we don't really avoid anything no. I probably wouldn't recommend she ate a Snickers bar or anything like that, but she hates the taste of peanuts so that's not going to happen!

We've been on numerous holidays and been able to dose daily without incident - and we don't have to check ingredients abroad either really which is so freeing!
Lilpickle08 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 22, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post

Ok that’s interesting thank you.

It’s the May contain part that is so difficult to live with isn’t it. It’s great that she has that freedom now. Really hope this is rolled out by nhs after this trial.