Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 11 Sep 17, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
G54321
Excited about Disney

Barbados

Hi all
Wondering if anyone has any advice or recommendations for Barbados please?
Thinking of travelling in July next year with DH, DS(17), DS(22) and his GF(21).
I know weather is likely to be hot with some showers so am assuming this is just like Florida weather would that be right. Are we likely to see more rain than Florida at same time of year?
Like the look of Waves Resort which is AI. Have discussed with "kids" that it will be fairly low key and quiet in the evenings but they seem keen to go and the water sports are a big attraction for them during the day.
Any advice much appreciated or other suggestions also.
G54321 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 07:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Frankie & gang
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We went to Barbados last July I think on the 11th for 11 nights. Didn't have rain every day, only 1 downpour that meant I had to leave my subbed, lasted maybe 10 mins. A few other 1 min light rain.
It's a lovely island, we stayed in the South, Dover Beach / St Lawrence gap at The Southern Palms booked as a holiday package thru Virgin (cheaper than seperate)
Barbados has so many fantastic restaurants, it's generally recommended you don't go AI
Old 12 Sep 17, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
G54321
Excited about Disney

Thank you much appreciated. That reassures me a bit re weather. I'll take a look at that hotel. The older kids are keen to go AI so they know what they're spending but we'll have another think.
Thanks again
G54321 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
vickitoria10
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

We also stopped at southern palms on our honeymoon 8 years ago! We loved it and loved going out to the restaurants too. It's a fabulous island. Get out and explore!

WDW - Oct 2010 - SSR, Sept/Oct 2011 - I-Drive, May 2015 - OKW

DLP - Dec 2013, Jan 2015 - Cheyenne
vickitoria10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

We went in July this year. Weather was fine. Very hot and occasional showers.

Barbados is a lovely but very expensive island. The reggae buses were great fun and the locals very welcoming.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
The only issue I can think of is cost, there are a few islands out of the hurricane belt and Barbados is one of them.

With the damage to most of the Caribbean following the hurricane prices in Barbados have sky rocketed, I was looking for Jan and the cost of a 2 week stay had gone up 3 times

Supply and demand, I would imagine over half of the available rooms in the Caribbean have blown away.

Barbados is great, we have travelled the Caribbean loads (partners parents live in Trinidad) you would have a great time but I just couldn't pay over the odds!
captain-codeye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Originally Posted by captain-codeye View Post
The only issue I can think of is cost, there are a few islands out of the hurricane belt and Barbados is one of them.

With the damage to most of the Caribbean following the hurricane prices in Barbados have sky rocketed, I was looking for Jan and the cost of a 2 week stay had gone up 3 times

Supply and demand, I would imagine over half of the available rooms in the Caribbean have blown away.

Barbados is great, we have travelled the Caribbean loads (partners parents live in Trinidad) you would have a great time but I just couldn't pay over the odds!
I've always thought the Caribbean was very expensive in January anyway. We did Dominican Republic last January and it cost a lot more than (in my opinion) the far superior islands of Antigua and Barbados during June/July.

Agree, Barbados is fantastic and my favourite of the islands I've visited.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

Originally Posted by captain-codeye View Post

Due sever indecisiveness on my part I've been looking at Barbados hotel ONLY prices on & off, over the last 6 weeks, for my dates in Feb next year (doing 2 X layovers on the way to & from St Vincent), I can confirm that prices are still static after checking tonight. However, I think you have a fair point about demand rising so I've bitten the bullet & booked.

**GOLD CASTAWAY CAY MEMBERS !**Feb2002- I Drive Feb2004- PORS Feb2006 -Regal Palms/4 Night Disney Wonder Feb2008- Reunion /Disney Magic Western/Omni@CG Feb2010 - Reunion/Disney Magic Eastern/Hammock Beach PalmCoast July2010- Disney Magic 8 Night Dover-Barcelona July2011 Disney Magic10 Night Med.Feb2012-Anna Maria Island/Disney Dream X2/Hyatt GC. May 2014 Disney Fantasy Eastern

Edited at 08:18 AM.
jdybnsn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 17, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

It did occur to me this morning after it was reported that Boris Johnson had flown out to "the Caribbean" that perhaps many people wouldn't realise that Barbados is MILES away from the affected areas of hurricane Irma ! Perhaps demand could possibly fall if people have a lack of knowledge to understand that many islands have not been affected, Maybe people might just avoid the Caribbean full stop ?

Lucky Boris Johnson I say ... he certainly won't be slumming it in a hurricane disaster area on his visit to the Caribbean I don't suppose !

**GOLD CASTAWAY CAY MEMBERS !**Feb2002- I Drive Feb2004- PORS Feb2006 -Regal Palms/4 Night Disney Wonder Feb2008- Reunion /Disney Magic Western/Omni@CG Feb2010 - Reunion/Disney Magic Eastern/Hammock Beach PalmCoast July2010- Disney Magic 8 Night Dover-Barcelona July2011 Disney Magic10 Night Med.Feb2012-Anna Maria Island/Disney Dream X2/Hyatt GC. May 2014 Disney Fantasy Eastern

Edited at 08:26 AM.
jdybnsn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 17, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

We have been to Jamaica in the Summer (July) - accommodation is much, much cheaper then in the Caribbean, as its low season, and we found weather to be great. However we went to Antigua at October half term and found the humidity very difficult to handle IF you wanted to get around to sight see - not so much for just lazing round the pool all day though.

Personal recommendation if visiting the Caribbean in Summer/ Autumn - just make sure you avoid staying near any marinas/ still water where the mozzies will be very active at that time of year !

That said I can't think of anywhere specific I'd avoid in Barbados at any time... mozzies are MUCH less of a problem than other Caribbean islands from my experience.