Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Aug 19, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
MickeyYay
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jim jehosofat View Post
Ive read the whole thread and my thoughts, probably unpopular with most of the other posters on this thread, are that it seems very foolish, with so much at stake, to depend on an Esta that's only got a few weeks validity remaining rather than spend $14 on a new application.
If you believe it’s valid, it’s valid, why would you do another ‘just because’?
MickeyYay is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
trampslikeus
Apprentice Imagineer

All credit to Rachy who seems to have accepted this mishap with such good grace.
What should have been an exciting day to start her holiday has turned into an unfortunate nightmare. I am sure some good karma will come her way over the rest of the holiday to offset today's experience.
By sharing her story, as I am sure it has highlighted an issue with the ESTA process that few were aware of, and hopefully others can avoid in the future.
trampslikeus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Ive read the whole thread and my thoughts, probably unpopular with most of the other posters on this thread, are that it seems very foolish, with so much at stake, to depend on an Esta that's only got a few weeks validity remaining rather than spend $14 on a new application.
You have missed the entire point of the thread in that case.

It was starting the process to change the ESTA which caused the problem.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
MickeyYay
Imagineer

Originally Posted by thatdavieguy View Post
To be fair, there really isn't much point in buying another esta if you're travelling within the period that's left on your current one and you've no plans to travel to the US after that...that's $14 in your pocket instead of trumps
Plus it’s $14 per person.. soon adds up when there’s a few in the party.
MickeyYay is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Not unpopular, just unnecessary.

If an ESTA is valid for the duration of the stay (plus a few days extra in case any delay leaving etc) then that is sufficient.

Having a new one would be no different to the original one. So not foolish in the slightest IMO.

They could have had a valid one for 2 full years and had an issue locating it and be in the same predicament.

Edited at 03:47 PM.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

So pleased that you are sorted and wish you the most fantastic holiday.

I think more than anything, its not why this happened or if you could have avoided it, what has shone through for me is your incredible mental strength and resolve to get this sorted in the most efficient manner.

Hats off to you, there are many who would have crumbled given such a mountain to climb.

You are a true credit to our dibber community.

Well done and more hugs

Disney332
Old 22 Aug 19, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by toonarmani View Post
If an ESTA is valid for the duration of the stay (plus a few days extra in case any delay leaving etc) then that is sufficient.
Just to clarify. An ESTA only needs to be valid on the day of entry to USA, not for the duration of stay.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rachy View Post
Because when you are in that situation and your family are about to leave you and your dealing with a pending esta application you don’t think straight. And my partner didn’t want to split the family up.

New flights will be about £1000 to go tomorrow I think x
My partner would have been exactly the same.

**GOLD CASTAWAY CAY MEMBERS !**Feb2002- I Drive Feb2004- PORS Feb2006 -Regal Palms/4 Night Disney Wonder Feb2008- Reunion /Disney Magic Western/Omni@CG Feb2010 - Reunion/Disney Magic Eastern/Hammock Beach PalmCoast July2010- Disney Magic 8 Night Dover-Barcelona July2011 Disney Magic10 Night Med.Feb2012-Anna Maria Island/Disney Dream X2/Hyatt GC. May 2014 Disney Fantasy Eastern
jdybnsn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
jemima2
Imagineer

Mobile

What a day you have had, so stressful and you all dealt with it so well. We work so hard and look forward to our holidays, particularly if it isn't a regular occurance 🤣. I sincerely hope you all have an extra amazing time, I have learnt a lot from this thread so thank you for that. Wine, dinner, wine... 😂😂
jemima2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rachy View Post
So car hire company holiday autos are saying It’ll cost £45 to amend to pick up tomorrow.

Credit card all sorted.

Spoken to Aviva my insurance who were incredibly helpful and said to get the clarification from esta that I could have travelled with the esta which was in date and to still push with Norwegian. X
We have friends got delayed two full days. They just turned up at Alamo and they didn't even bat an eyelid. No charge or anything.
I suspect the charge is the HA broker getting the arm in.

Edited at 04:50 PM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List