Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Nov 17, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

New TV Purchase Advice !

I don't really know much about TV's generally but we are looking at getting a new one and I have seen the LG 55UJ701V on sale in Currys for £599 (down apparently from £899), the information says :-

4K Ultra HD HDR
Catch-up & 4K Streaming with webOS
Picture quality: 100 Hz
Tuner: Freeview HD & Freesat HD with Freeview Play
Connectivity: HDMI 2.0.b x 3 & HDMI x 1

OK so my brother has a similar (perhaps the same) TV, bought it a few months ago and recons it's the Dogs ** as "the guy in the shop said xxxx" however unfortunately I don't generally believe the guy in the shop who is just trying to get a sale!

The picture seemed good quality (however that's not hard next to our 7 yr old HD Ready Plasma) and i liked the operating system interface on it, almost like using a wii remote to control what you wanted on and he said "the guy in the shop" told him that for the price you can't get the same quality TV with the OS set up on it (anyone know if that is true?)

So... is the above TV any good, if not, can you recommend anything else for me to take a look at. We are looking for 4k, 55" (no smaller, but could go slightly bigger if there was a belter deal!) , smart and something under £800

OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 17, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I won't touch Currys.
Have you got a Richer Sounds near you? Honest and helpful experts in there and no sales pressure.
Plus the big win is they give you a free 6 year warranty that is excellent. I know as I have used it!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 17, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Mad Mark
Getting Excited

here is my 2 pence

Firstly if you haven't seen it in the flesh go and look at it and get it onto a regular channel to view as the shops will most likely have it streaming 4K.

Checkout the sound as many flat screens have appalling sound so you may have to factor in a sound bar.

LG stuff is very good, I actually have an LG smart TV and am very happy with it and the interface is very user friendly.

Check out John Lewis as they may well do the same TV for the same price but they give a 5 year guarantee

Should say I trained as a TV engineer back in the days of Radio Rentals. I dont repair them now but this is the advice i always give.

1998 - Off Site WDW 2000 - Off Site WDW 2002 - CBR 2004 - CSR 2006 - POR 2008 - Disneyland Hong Kong 2008 - CBR 2011 - Atlanta/SSR 2015 - Michigan/OKW 2017 - DCL/SSR 2018 - ST Augustine/SSR 2019 - DCL/POFQ
Mad Mark is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 17, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneyfans
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

We have a LG TV and love it. I would only buy electrical goods from John Lewis. They often price match and their warranty is fantastic. Well worth it
Old 14 Nov 17, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
pandanne
Imagineer

Another vote for John Lewis - we bought our 55" 4k last year along with a sound bar. DH loves it. Only problem is, not many programmes are showing in 4k Ultra HD
Old 14 Nov 17, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
penguin19
Imagineer

penguin19's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

We got a Samsung from John Lewis and the customer service has been excellent. Firstly they price matched without me even asking, secondly Samsung recently performed an update which broke our TV (and many others according to google) we took it back they exchanged us and gave us £15 in vouchers as it had gone down in price !

I can't comment on that TV myself but put it into Google and you should get a range of reviews.

I'd always buy from a place with a long warranty such as JL 9r Richer Sounds

(wo)MAN vs FOOD - August 2017 food trip report
penguin19 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 17, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I won't touch Currys.
Have you got a Richer Sounds near you? Honest and helpful experts in there and no sales pressure.
Plus the big win is they give you a free 6 year warranty that is excellent. I know as I have used it!
I have just had a look and there is a Richer Sounds in Leeds so we can pop accross there one weekend and take a look - thanks for the recommendation! Actually they have a good offer on their website that if you buy now and price changes betwen no and black friday they will refund the difference, so that's good as well!

Originally Posted by Mad Mark View Post
here is my 2 pence

Firstly if you haven't seen it in the flesh go and look at it and get it onto a regular channel to view as the shops will most likely have it streaming 4K.

Checkout the sound as many flat screens have appalling sound so you may have to factor in a sound bar.

LG stuff is very good, I actually have an LG smart TV and am very happy with it and the interface is very user friendly.

Check out John Lewis as they may well do the same TV for the same price but they give a 5 year guarantee

Should say I trained as a TV engineer back in the days of Radio Rentals. I dont repair them now but this is the advice i always give.
Yeah, I will definitley be going to a shop to view them before I buy, this one though I have viewed in the flesh at my Brothers house, he was watching some dodgy Man City football match on a Now TV pass - Picture looked good and sound was fine from what I heard.

Thanks for your advice and it's good to hear someone "in the know" reommends the LG stuff - I will be taking a look in the flesh and good to know about John Lewis

Originally Posted by Disneyfans View Post
We have a LG TV and love it. I would only buy electrical goods from John Lewis. They often price match and their warranty is fantastic. Well worth it
Good to know your views on the LG and good to know JL price match!

Originally Posted by pandanne View Post
Another vote for John Lewis - we bought our 55" 4k last year along with a sound bar. DH loves it. Only problem is, not many programmes are showing in 4k Ultra HD
Well we will be getting Sky Q as well and hopfully this will be "in prep" for when they do start showing in 4K UHD because we made a big booboo when we bought our "HD Ready" one last time - thanks for the information!
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 17, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by penguin19 View Post
We got a Samsung from John Lewis and the customer service has been excellent. Firstly they price matched without me even asking, secondly Samsung recently performed an update which broke our TV (and many others according to google) we took it back they exchanged us and gave us £15 in vouchers as it had gone down in price !

I can't comment on that TV myself but put it into Google and you should get a range of reviews.

I'd always buy from a place with a long warranty such as JL 9r Richer Sounds
I have always heard very good things about JL customer Services! I will bve staying away from Currys and going to JL or Richer Sounds for sure!
Old 14 Nov 17, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

Whilst I would want to see a tv working in th3 flesh I'm happy with tj3 spec or that
Old 14 Nov 17, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
On a mouse hunt
Trying for More Ears

Our old TV broke, and we had the "know how" repair/replace plan with currys. They agreed the TV was beyond repair and gave us credit for a new TV so off we went on Saturday.

The guys in store were dire but we ended up with this TV and we like it. The sound is really low on the TV speakers but we have a sound bar which links perfectly and so we don't use the TV speakers.

The picture even just on standard picture through sky (not Q) is fine for everyday viewing. We have yet to see any refresh rate blurring/obscurities) and the TV is on a lot in our house.

The interface is easy and we can easily cast from our phones to the TV for the likes of YouTube etc. ITV hub, BBC Iplayer etc are all ready installed so if that's going to be used its there already. #
We can stream photos from our phones/tablets over to the TV too.

I would say the only issue is the sound but of you have a sound bar/surround sound (or intend to get one) then I would say for your average TV viewer the TV is perfect.
On a mouse hunt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List