Notices
Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Old 26 May 17, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Jane71
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile Lumix TZ60 vs TZ70

Considering buying one of the above but is it worth spending that bit extra for the TZ70? I want a good point + shoot that takes good night time photos + can record videos on.
Jane71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 17, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
kaytronika
slightly serious Dibber

If I recall the TZ70 has a sensor with less mega pixels, with the apparent benefit being better low light performance.

I doubt you could go wrong with either.

whatdigitalcamera/rou...mix-tz60-61203
kaytronika is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 17, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Robsie71
Apprentice Imagineer

Love my TZ70 - from memory i went for it because or panoramic and raw capabilities but may be off the mark with those being the differences.
Robsie71 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 17, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
OnOurWay
Excited about Disney

Following, as I am toying with the exactly the same question. I liked the idea of better nighttime photos with the TZ70, particularly for the fireworks, but being as we don't normally go to fireworks regularly, I am struggling to justify the additional cost. Interested in others thoughts, particularly from anyone who has upgraded
OnOurWay is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 17, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Jane71
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Thanks your replies! I went + looked at them + think the TZ70 did feel more comfortable to hold. Both look exactly the same except on the front where you'd grip it. I wouldn't be planning on upgrading for a while as I rarely use a camera except on holidays + days out so might go with the TZ70. I think there's about £50 difference. We're heading to NYC next year + would definitely want some good night time shots.
Jane71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 17, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Laevis
Trying for More Ears

If you really want night time shots it's a no brainier. The tz70 is a significantly better performer in low light, particularly when using indoors without flash, and you don't even notice the drop in megapixels.
Another big advantage is that the quality of the electronic viewfinder has been massively improved compared to the tz60 which is important when using the camera in very bright conditions when the usual screen is hard to see easily - like a bright Orlando day for example
Laevis is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 17, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Jane71
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Laevis View Post
If you really want night time shots it's a no brainier. The tz70 is a significantly better performer in low light, particularly when using indoors without flash, and you don't even notice the drop in megapixels.
Another big advantage is that the quality of the electronic viewfinder has been massively improved compared to the tz60 which is important when using the camera in very bright conditions when the usual screen is hard to see easily - like a bright Orlando day for example
That's great. Thanks for your advice. Think I'll go for the TZ70,
Old 27 May 17, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Laevis View Post
Neither will be great in low light due to the lens speed (which gets worse as you zoom). There is some good tech. in there, but it will never be great in bad light due to the basic physics.
For low light, you need to go up a class to something like the LX100 which has a very fast lens (f1.7 at its widest focal length). But that costs more.

While both are fantastic cameras - but if low light performance is one of the important requirements, then I would be looking elsewhere.

I went through exactly this dilemma last year and had my heart set on the TZ70, but it just didn't cut it for indoor shots so I paid the extra and went for the LX100. I am very glad I did as I know i would have been totally frustrated with the TZ70.

The Sony might be a better choice as it is cheaper. amazon/dp/B008CNMZ..._t3_B00NLFJ2KU

If low light an indoor shots is less important, then both cameras are fantastic.

Edited at 08:32 AM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 17, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Jane71
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Neither will be great in low light due to the lens speed (which gets worse as you zoom). There is some good tech. in there, but it will never be great in bad light due to the basic physics.
For low light, you need to go up a class to something like the LX100 which has a very fast lens (f1.7 at its widest focal length). But that costs more.

While both are fantastic cameras - but if low light performance is one of the important requirements, then I would be looking elsewhere.

I went through exactly this dilemma last year and had my heart set on the TZ70, but it just didn't cut it for indoor shots so I paid the extra and went for the LX100. I am very glad I did as I know i would have been totally frustrated with the TZ70.

The Sony might be a better choice as it is cheaper. amazon/dp/B008CNMZ..._t3_B00NLFJ2KU

If low light an indoor shots is less important, then both cameras are fantastic.
Thanks for the info. I'll have a good look at that one as well. I want to buy the correct one as I plan to use it for a good few years. So want to get it right.