BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
I;m going to give the opposite view. I love to take my DSLR, BUT, I also like to try and take some 'photographs', rather than just some memories. I don't always succeed but I do like to try.

If you just want holiday snaps, then I'd take a compact, but if you want to try and take some arty photos, then you can't beat a DSLR.

I use a backpack with a camera compartment in the bottom, it goes in there on all rides and I've never had a problem on any ride. When I'm using it, it goes on a cross body strap, and DH carries the empty backpack (well, empty of camera, we use the top as our pack bag)

There are days when I don't take it out and just use the compact but I invariably which I had it with me.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 17, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Fraser789
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'm going to go with a compact for the holiday I will have a look at some of the cameras suggested

Thanks
Fraser789 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 17, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
I took a DSLR when we went to Florida last time and used this strap which helped.

amazon/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On some days in the parks used this and on other days a compact.

I haven't used DSLR for ages as it is bulky, but will probably take it and compact this year as I can put it in the car for scenic shots on our fly drive.

Overall my priority is to help to preserve the memory rather than take the best photo I can, so often use my phone.
I used a very similar strap, made it much more comfy to carry. I found I used the DSLR in auto more for those quick m9ments , I missed several moments with my compact as it was in my bag. DSLR was out all the time.
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 17, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
DSLRs are a real pain at the parks. I wanted a compact last year and went for the Lumix LX100. Amazing in low light because of the very fast Leica lens.
Is it easy to use for night shots? im hopeless at photography and im looking for a new camera for me and my son. Need all the help i can get thank you.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 17, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by caj View Post
I used a very similar strap, made it much more comfy to carry. I found I used the DSLR in auto more for those quick m9ments , I missed several moments with my compact as it was in my bag. DSLR was out all the time.
Hey caj!

How's things?

Old 1 Jun 17, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post

I've got both the D3300 and the G7x (mostly used for vlogging). Both are different in their own right however I will always get much better images with my DSLR. I echo what was said above, the OpTech USA Strap is an absolute godsend if you're thinking of taking a DSLR to the parks with you, don't even bother with a neck strap because you'll just get annoyed with it and it'll be a pain in the neck

The G7x does take some cracking images however and you have manual control over it also as well as a built in ND filter.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 17, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Fraser789
Very Serious Dibber

Would the Canon EOS M10 be a good camera? I have just seen Currys are selling it for £199 reduced from £299. I have seen mixed reviews on it so far.
Fraser789 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 17, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

ive got the original eos-m and love it, ive had a play with the M10, and it basically fixes a few of the issues people had with the original model.

if youve got a canon dslr, you can use your existing lenses with an adapter ring.

i use it on holiday mostly with the 22mm f2 pancake prime lens (which if you dont get it bundled, you can usually buy relatively cheaply on ebay as a "second hand" new item pulled from a bundle. i think i got mine for £75), its tiny, and great in low light. at £199 its a damn fine bit of kit! (i paid £270 for the original model and thought i had a good deal at the time!)
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 17, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlandobelle
VIP Dibber

Orlandobelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Mobile

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
I;m going to give the opposite view. I love to take my DSLR, BUT, I also like to try and take some 'photographs', rather than just some memories. I don't always succeed but I do like to try.

If you just want holiday snaps, then I'd take a compact, but if you want to try and take some arty photos, then you can't beat a DSLR.

I use a backpack with a camera compartment in the bottom, it goes in there on all rides and I've never had a problem on any ride. When I'm using it, it goes on a cross body strap, and DH carries the empty backpack (well, empty of camera, we use the top as our pack bag)
I'm with Bev. I use my DSLR more and more (using my phone for quick fb/ trip reporter uploads). I do tend to travel on my own though or with my partner who also does a lot of photography.
I have some lovely Boardwalk shots from my last trip
Easter 06 Calabay Parc/Vero Beach
Easter 07 Sunset Lakes/RPR Trippy
Hallowe'en 07 Sunset Lakes/HRH ~ Hallowe'en 08 Highlands Reserve & HRH
Xmas 09 - Bella Vida/HRH/Pop Trippy
Jul 2010 Bella Vida & RPR Photos
OKW & Bahama Bay for Christmas 2012
Summer 2015 ~ Cabana Bay & Terre Verde Sept 2016 -- Solo @ Pop / BWV / Sapphire Falls

Orlandobelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 17, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Fraser789
Very Serious Dibber

I ended up buying a Sony HX90. I managed to get it for £193 on the Amazon sale. I'm pleased with it so far it's got a great zoom!