Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 22 Jan 17, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

You've got a friend in Me(d) - Day 2 - PortAventura

Day 2 – PortAventura.

Today was a theme park day! No holiday of ours is ever complete without a theme park snuck in somewhere

We were up at 7.20am to make it down for breakfast at 8am. Breakfast was a good mix of continental/ pastry items and a cooked selection with a Spanish twist (chorizo for breakfast).

There was also cava available, and I noticed the same French lady both mornings going up for several glasses. That’s one way to start the day!

We left the hotel around 8.40am to walk into town, stopping en route to buy some essentials in the form of large bottles of water and some jamon flavoured crisps.

We caught the 9.15am bus from opposite the Oasis Park hotel for 2€ each way and took about 20 minutes. It was pretty busy, so we’re glad we didn’t get on at a later stop.

Some guy was attempting a bag check on the way in, but most people ignored him and walked past. This was no Disney security!

First up for the day was Furious Baco. They started the ride at 10am and it took us about 20 minutes to get on. I like a good launch coaster, but I wasn’t a fan of the Barrel roll.

We found the lines generally long at the park. It was August, so you always expect it to be busy, but a really high number of people seemed to have the Express passes.

Next up was Grand Canyon Rapids. I made the mistake of saying that the people getting off didn’t look too wet. Obviously this meant that there was one big wave that got me soaked! Good job it was super warm so I dried off fairly quickly.

Following this was the mine train – or more accurately, El Diablo, Tren de la Mina, with not too bad a line. This was more my level of ride

I did my first ‘woodie’ next – Stampeda. You have to choose the red or blue side, and the two race each other.

We chose the blue side and had a fair wait. We polished off the bag of jamon crisps in the queue.

Somehow, Ollie convinced me to give Shambhala a go.

The line was full of smokers which was pretty horrible.

There was a bit of queue line drama – a French girl in front of us passed out. Various people came to help her, but her mum insisted she was fine and should stay in the queue. She proceeded to pass out 3 times. Eventually someone convinced her to get out of line and gave her some water. Her mum just stood there smoking right in her face. They eventually re-joined the line – there is no way she should be going on that ride! I’m not sure what happened to that poor girl in the end, but I hope she was ok.

I’m not quite sure how he does it, but at every theme park Ollie persuades me to try one ride that I have no intention to go on. We got called up as a party of two, so I didn’t have the last few minutes of getting nervous and just had to go for it!

I wasn’t a fan of the restraints, they seemed more of a token gesture!

Shambhala is the huge ride in this picture...

Overall the ride wasn’t as bad as I expected. I think that if they could do this ride to about 60% scale, it would be perfect!

Lunch was calling me next. I’d seen several people in the last queue with sandwiches and found a place selling them nearby. We got a salami sandwich to share (4.50€). The sandwich wasn’t made particularly well and we both managed to drop salami over the floor. It was overpriced, as is all theme park food. I miss the DDP.

Ollie modelling the sandwich.

We queued up for ice age next, which was a good 35 minute wait.

I found it weird that in the pre-show area they were advertising the park and hotels.

Within a minute of sitting down, I fell asleep! I really am capable of falling asleep anywhere, including a moving simulator ride when wearing 3D glasses.

To perk me up, we stopped for some ice cream. 2 scoops of Carte D’or each.

I had marshmallow (which tasted like bubblegum) and cinnamon biscuit (which tasted like caramel). Ollie had lemon meringue (which tasted like cinnamon) and stratiacella (which tasted like stratiacella). A bit of a weird ice cream experience but quite tasty.

We caught the Revolution show next, the park’s signature show. Some bits were great, like the acrobatics. Some bits were less great, like the dodgy group choreography involving waving flags and sticks out of time. It was led by two ladies, who did an ok job of miming the likes of Adele and Beyoncé.

Temple de Fuego was next, which was only open in the afternoons.

Ollie had built this attraction up a lot, having done it previously. He and his brother still talk about this nostalgically. They quote lines from the attraction, which I’m pretty sure are incorrect!

The line was listed as 1 hour, but actually turned out to be 1 hour 40. Their wait times were really off today. I ran out of water in the line and got a bit grumpy whilst waiting as it was super hot.

I enjoyed the second room with the fire, but thought the ending was a bit unresolved. No Disney happy ending here! In places it was reminiscent of Poseidon’s Fury at Universal.

We’d done most of the park we wanted to, and so decided to get the bus back at this point. The return bus tickets needed to be bought from a little booth, which we didn’t realise whilst waiting for the bus. Fortunately, we managed to run back to the bus and still made it after buying the tickets, although we were standing on the way home. The bus took a slightly different route to Salou on the way back, which had me panicking for a moment that we were on the wrong bus!

In Salou we bought the obligatory magnet for the fridge, as well as some water and some cans of beer for Ollie and a cider for me to enjoy on the balcony.

We both showered and Ollie chilled on the balcony while I got ready (being a girl, I obviously took a long time).

Dinner was a better experience that last night. I chose more sensibly, going for lighter choices like Salmon and vegetables. We also finished of the wine from last night. There were some different choices from last night, but I’m glad we were only eating here for two nights, as I think I’d find it a bit samey otherwise. I’m not sure an all-inclusive hotel deal would be for me, although it was convenient.

We spent the evening chilling on the balcony enjoying a drink, and crashed out at 10pm, ready for another theme park day and a move to Barcelona tomorrow.

Day 3 - PortAventura and Barcelona

Edited at 10:51 PM.
Scruffette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 17, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

A good day. There seems to be a lot to do at the park.
I hate people smoking in queues.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.
stecee is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 17, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by stecee View Post
A good day. There seems to be a lot to do at the park.
I hate people smoking in queues.
Thanks for reading
Scruffette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 17, 12:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Great post. Considering visiting myself some time in the future
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 17, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
Great post. Considering visiting myself some time in the future
Thanks for reading
Old 26 Apr 17, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Bobsledwheels
Imagineer

Bobsledwheels's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 16
Wow I hope that girl was ok!

Nice to be reminded of Port Aventura - we had a fab day there a good long while ago now

USA: Jan 07 10n off-site // Jan 12 5n NYC, 11n I-Drive //
Oct 14 3 wks - Honeymoon! YC // Oct 16 Orlando 14n OKW // May 17 2n Cali adv & DL // Dec 18 10n AKL

PARIS: Sept 12 3n at SL // Nov 13 4n SL // Nov 15 4n SL (cut short) // Nov 16 4n NPB
TOKYO // HONG KONG: April 16 4 Days TKDL & TKDS // May 16 1 Day HKDL
CRUISES: Oct 14 4n Bahamian // June 15 7n Norwegian inaugural // Sept 15 11n WBTA // May 17 5n West coast // May 17 7n Alaskan // Dec 18 4n Bahamian
Bobsledwheels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 17, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Bobsledwheels View Post
Wow I hope that girl was ok!

Nice to be reminded of Port Aventura - we had a fab day there a good long while ago now
I just couldn't believe that her family weren't that concerned!

Thanks for reading along
Old 10 Aug 17, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
That's hardcore queueing. Fainting three times doesn't get you out of doing the ride? Eek.

Glad you had a good day.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 17, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
That's hardcore queueing. Fainting three times doesn't get you out of doing the ride? Eek.

Glad you had a good day.
I know - I couldn't believe it! You think after the second time they would get the hint!

Thanks for reading