Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 9 Sep 17, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
mrs togs
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

My wife uses Tana Ramsey's recipe, lush
Old 9 Sep 17, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Posiesmum View Post
I always start with a soffrito (mix of finely chopped onion, celery and carrot). Mix of pork and beef mince, tin tomatoes, tomato purée, tablespoon of milk and a beef 'stockpot' - then simmer for as long as you can.
I pretty much do the same recipe. We stayed with friends in Germany and they used the mixture of pork & beef mince-it was the nicest I've ever had.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 17, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I make my sauce in bulk justba basic tomatoe sauce and freeze it and add additional spices depending on the end dish i.e. Chilli etc
Done in the slow cooker 8 hours on low
6 x500g of chopped tomatoes with no added salt
6 cloves of garlic or to taste no need to chop
3large onions chopped
2 low salt oxo cubes and a good glug of Lea &perrin
1tbs Italian Seasoning
Pitch of sugar
1tbs tomatoe purée
Put the onions & garlic on the bottom of the slow cooker add the rest and leave no need to stir cook on low you can blitz the sauce with a stick blender if you want ( carrot peppers etc can be added and then the non veg kids never know they are in there )
Freeze when cool should give around 4 portions but I usually do 2small bags to use as pizza sauce
Each portion should be enough to use with a lb and a half of mince and tossed with pasta
Enough for 5/6 or 6/8 if using for lasagne etc just brown mince and add sauce simmer for 30 mins

Edited at 10:59 PM.
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 17, 01:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

I fry mince,add onions,mushrooms and garlic.dissolve 1 x beef stock pot in half cup of boiling water and add till reduced down.i add 1 x family jar Dolmio chunky mushroom,tomato purée and Worcester sauce,reduce for 10 mins then add 1tsp sugar and cook for further 5,mins x
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 17, 07:54 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by barryp1 View Post
Bolognese is primarily a meat sauce and it is OK to add onions, garlic, tomatoes, carrot, celery but the idea of adding mushrooms is so way out it cannot be true.

Lardons and onion with small amount of olive oil, garlic, add diced carrot and celery then add minced beef. Add tinned chopped tomatoes and tomato puree, pepper, salt and oregano.
To be honest I just add any stray veg. that are lurking. A couple of days ago it was carrots, onions, courgettes, mushrooms, fresh tomatoes and a lurking baking apple, definitely not a purist but cooked it in a bolognase sauce. We all enjoyed it which is really what matters!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 17, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
floridafamily
Imagineer

Mobile

I put Worcester sauce or mushroom ketchup in mine. Plus I also add a large carrot grated on the finest grater setting and to get some extra veg goodness in I buy the frozen shredded spinach balls from sainsburys and put about four balls in. Spinach and carrot soften up so much they almost disappear but you feel healthy knowing there are hidden vitamins fibre iron goodness etc added
Jan 2012 – Disney Port Orleans Riverside
Sep 2012 – Hotel Cheyenne, Disneyland Resort Paris
Nov 2013 - Disney Port Orleans Riverside

Nov 2014 – Hotel Cheyenne, Disneyland Resort Paris
Feb 2016 - Disney Caribbean Beach Resort
floridafamily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List