Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 6 Sep 17, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

Adventures in Public Transport:The Return - Day One - Travel & Santa Monica

Well we're back from another great holiday in California. Not quite as epic as last years adventure to celebrate my 40th but still another really great holiday.

On this trip will be Myself, My Husband and our son who turned 13 while we were there. We all massive Disney fans but love that California offers as our Disney fix with the bonus of other great places to visit too. Again this year we will not be hiring a car and will be again using Amtrak, Uber and Public Transport to visit LA, San Deigo and Disneyland. Hence the title on the report. So without further ado here we go...

Day One - Heathrow to Los Angeles:

We woke excited for our holiday around 7.30am. We’d stayed overnight at the Premium Inn Terminal 4 which I would definitely recommend. Its only been open a few month so everything the all nice and new; it still had that new carpet smell in all the corridors. Comfy beds, great soundproofing and nice staff, what more do you need. Bonus that it was the bargain price of £29.

As our flight wasn’t until 1pm we had breakfast at the Premium Inn before heading to the terminal around 10am. Our flight was leaving from terminal 3 so we used the free train to get across to it. There was a momentary panic as the trains weren’t running to start with but luckily after 15 minutes the problem was sorted and we were on are way.

We’d already completed online check in and had paid booked our seats a few weeks back so check in was quick and easy. Even security was fairly quick so we were through to airside with 2 hours to spare. We had a browse around a few shops and waited to board.

Our flight was fairly uneventful. Loads on choice on the inflight entertainment and they seemed to be forever trying to feed you. We had to turn food down in the end. I had the chance to do some catching up on Disney films as I had got really behind. I watch Beauty & the Beast and Moana and loved them both. Those Moana songs now keep getting stuck in my head.

We landed a little ahead of schedule at LAX and walked out to a short immigration line. We cleared immigration, collected our bags and were getting in a taxi in just under an hour. I think thats a new record for us. Only problem was that it meant we would hit Friday afternoon rush in LA.

In the end the traffic wasn’t too bad and we only hit a bit on the 405 Northbound. Glad we weren't going to other way through as that was at a standstill. Taxi cost to Santa Monica was $50 inc tip. Our hotel for the first two nights was the Hampton Inn Santa Monica. We were given room 428 which was a large double queen room on the 4th floor.

(I've pitched these next two photos off the Hilton Website as I only took videos clips)

Feeling not too tired we decided to stretch our legs and have a walk down to the Pier. It was about a 8 minute walk from the hotel. We hoped to past a mini mart long the way but that was to be so after staying out for a around half an hour we headed but to the hotel and used their little snack shop (Very expensive! snack shop) to get some water and a few snacks. We unpacked a few things and headed to bed just before 9pm.

Edited at 10:25 AM.
Disney Wishing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 17, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Looking forward to reading - especially about San Diego as we are off there at Christmas!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 17, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Looking forward to reading - especially about San Diego as we are off there at Christmas!
San Diego was fantastic. I'm sure you'll love it. I'll try and get writing quickly to get to that for you.
Disney Wishing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 17, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Disney Wishing View Post
San Diego was fantastic. I'm sure you'll love it. I'll try and get writing quickly to get to that for you.
That's what I keep hearing! We have 9 days there so plenty of time! Plus 3days in Joshua Tree!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 17, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Great travel day, no hassle, always a good thing!
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 17, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
That sounds a very smooth travel day for you all.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Great travel day. T4 Premier Inn sounds nice. We are big fans of PI.
Old 12 Sep 17, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
Great travel day. T4 Premier Inn sounds nice. We are big fans of PI.
Yes us too. Always great value for money and a good standard. They need to open up in the US
Old 30 Oct 17, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
MissVincent
Imagineer

nice smooth travel day, just what everyone hopes for!
MissVincent is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 17, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Hi, I read your last report and am looking forward to reading this and getting lots of ideas. Travel day sound very smooth including the taxi to your hotel.
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List