Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Sep 17, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
papasmurf
Imagineer

How do you deal with not being able to go back?

In the last five years, I've had some amazing years at work which has afforded us to go to Florida three times. 3 weeks the first and second time and 4 weeks the last time

Now, I totally get that we are unbelievably fortunate to do this. And all of these trips we've done absolutely everything we've wanted and not worried about things. They truly have been amazing.

Now life has changed a wee bit and whilst we are still comfortable, I cannot foresee is going back to Florida at any point soon. At least 5 years plus.

I'm looking at holidays for next year and beyond and quite frankly it's depressing me. Nice hotel. Great. A water park. Fantastic. Some nice places to eat. Brilliant. It's just not the same.

But it is just a holiday.

Mentally, I know I'm a little fragile, over think things and internalise things to much, but as the sole bread winner, I find it so difficult to not have another holiday to FL in the pipeline as I know how special the family treat it and how it will always mean so much to them.

I know I'm rambling a bit, but our holidays in FL are the best memories we've ever had. It seems to be the time, as a family, we really connect.

It's not going to happen for years. How can I put it to the back of my mind and stop letting it consume my thoughts and frankly, making me depressed.

I know it's so superficial. And I'm not normally like, but I am struggling with it.

I'm probably the only one feeling like this. And in a way I hope I am, but I suspect I am not.

Edit - I've just read this back and I sound pathetic. Please just be brutal and telll me so

Edited at 11:58 PM.
papasmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 17, 12:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

My last holiday to Florida was in 1997. My next one will be next year - a 21 year gap. I cope fine but there are more important things in life to me than holidays. Holidays are a 'nice to have if I can afford it' thing but that's it. Other things are more important - my health, keeping a roof over my head, paying the bills etc. Many people can't afford to go there at all so I consider going once something of a privilege let alone more than once.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 17, 12:30 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Well.. firstly don't sit there thinking other holidays won't be as good.. they will ! Florida isn't the be all and end all (Many on here will disagree) ..

We are fortunate to holiday a lot now, most years we can do America and Tenerife.. Tenerife is no less of a holiday. I was last there in August and we had a brilliant week and wished we had booked for 2 weeks. There is plenty to do, Siam Park which is one of the best water parks in the world, Loro Parque, Go Karts, boat trips, etc etc .

I have never once sat there and thought god I wish we were in America.

You said be brutal well.. If you get in to the mindset that nowhere else will compare then you won't enjoy it , You will still be with your family, you will still be somewhere hot.. and well think yourself lucky your not off to Skegness for a week ;-)
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 17, 12:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
You have really got the post Disney blues bad haven't you!
Why do you think you can't go back ? We are going this year for less than the price if a 2 week trip to the Canaries. If you havent got the same budget it can still be done. If you genuinely can't afford it then you'll need to stay away from the Dibb or you will eventually give in !
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 17, 12:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

Florida is strangely addictive. I'm not sure why. I have been lucky enough to go twice a year for several years but this year it was just once because one of my DDs was getting married and I wanted to be able to help with the cost of the wedding. OH still went but took his mum (he's not my DDs' dad so not as weird as it sounds). Instead, I took lots of Fridays off work and for several weeks, I only worked 4 days a week (working it around Easter and May BHs). I caught up with jobs at home, had days out with my girls, I had so much more time and was less stressed. We are already committed to two trips next year but after that, I'm cutting back, I wouldn't mind not going on holiday at all the following year, OH will want a holiday though. I do understand how you feel but maybe you could have a complete change? That might break the addictive nature of Florida.
Old 23 Sep 17, 12:45 AM  
Link to this Post

We can't go anywhere for a while, we have too many things going on back here, my Dad being one of them. I couldn't go away and find out he'd passed away without us being there, he's getting very frail now and he's relying on us more and more, so we just can't.

I am sucking it up buttercup cos that's life. And he's more important to me. I feel your pain though.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 17, 03:06 AM  
Link to this Post

We did five years in a row to Disney, but things changed and we could no longer afford to go. Seven years later and we are enjoying our last night in Disney having had the most amazing time.

We have had some years without any holidays at all, and some years where we've had a week away or a city break and each one has been just what we needed at the time.

Florida is a very special place, but when you need a break you appreciate getting away whether it's a short trip,to the Lake District or a cheeky sunny break - it's hard to let go of thinking it's the only place that will really make you happy, but honestly your spirits will be lifted by just getting away from routine.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 17, 06:17 AM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Are you still planning on going abroad on holiday ? If so how much will that cost ( be honest )

Rather than two abroad holidays , have one in Florida . Or just look at going indirect , not doing all the parks, only going for 2 weeks etc.

If abroad holidays aren't in the pipeline , then look at what you could give up to make things possible ( Europe or the states ) . If your not prepared to give them up, then Florida isn't that important to you.

Or , how about looking for a different job ?
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads

Edited at 06:20 AM.
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 17, 06:33 AM  
Link to this Post
V8Pops
Dancing with Tink'

Originally Posted by FairyNuff View Post
We can't go anywhere for a while, we have too many things going on back here, my Dad being one of them. I couldn't go away and find out he'd passed away without us being there, he's getting very frail now and he's relying on us more and more, so we just can't.

I am sucking it up buttercup cos that's life. And he's more important to me. I feel your pain though.
Indeed..FairyNuff , you are doing a amazing thing , these moments are precious and irreplaceable . Family first ! Respect !
Sometimes we have prioritise the "Now " for the "future "..I gave up work and cared 24/7 for my dad for over 5 yrs until he passed away .
But thats when the interweb and the dibb became my go-to place for sanity and to make plans for an unknown time , somewhere further down the line..In my case 2003 to 2009 , but I saved pennies and planned and when i finally got to the USA I knew the area better than my own town...
My next visit might well be my last , due to failing health, my travel insurance went up from £76 to £500+ and may not be able to get it again at any price ..
But the memories, photo`s and video`s will be with me for life .

Papasmurf... Keep dibb`ing...keep thinking of the next visit..hopefully things will improve in time for you in time... And long term maybe the dollar will go back up to $2 to the £...( Now thats a Disney fantasy )...

Hey...When life gives you lemons...make lemonade ...
V8Pops is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 17, 06:53 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsbenny
Imagineer

Mobile

We can't afford Florida every year but instead we have several trips booked next year and really looking forward to them. We have DLP booked for Easter holidays. A caravan in Berwick in May half term and a week in Majorca in August. I looked at a package holiday for august all inclusive at the pirate village but jet 2 holidays wanted £3500 for 4 of us all inclusive, done it DIY and saved approx £1000 including private transfer. My 7 year old is really looking forward to pirate village and we are looking forward to having several holidays next year rather than 1 big expensive one. Back to Florida Oct 2019 and that will be our only holiday that year.
mrsbenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List