Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 14 Apr 17, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
DFussy
Very Serious Dibber

We still eat a few of the recipes from Annabel Karmel baby and toddler cookbook, and by daughter is now 10.

Macaroni cheese, made with egg yolk in the cheese sauce, whisked egg whites. I add ham or left over gammon, and corn.

Muligatawny Chicken - a mild tomato chicken curry with apple and sultanas.

Satay chicken. chicken kebabs marinated in peanut butter, soy sauce, chicken stock, honey.

We also love egg noodles, with stir fry veg, and chicken nuggets/beef/or duck legs roasted and shredded.

Nice recipe from a supermarket leaflet, sweet potatoe chicken. Slices of sweet potatoe, onion, with a small bit or olive oil and water. chicken breasts have score, and smeared in apricot jam. goes nice with broccoli etc.

Chicken, leek, and gammon pie, using condensed chicken soup for sauce, and shop bought shortcrust pastry.

Will be watching the replies for more inspiration though.
DFussy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 17, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
deeley
Imagineer

Mobile

I have the most amazing recipe for homemade chicken nuggets, so much so that dd9 has requested them for her big birthday meal on Sunday!

Enjoy

lifestyle.one/closer/diet-bod...uggets-recipe/
Covid cancelled Aug 2020!
Back to NYC Dec 22
deeley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 17, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Button17 View Post
I too feel we're in a dinner rut. Our diet has got so narrow with the kids being fussy. I hate slaving away in the kitchen for them to whinge through dinner 😣.

Things that are popular are:

Jacket spud souffle- cook potatoes then scoop out and mix cheese into Nash, and ham, bacon, cheese, sweet Cornard then put back in skins.

Chicken fajitas

Pesto pasta

Pasta bake

Naan bread pizzas which they make with choice of topping

Sausage casserole

Tagliatelle, hidden veg sauce and sausage meat balls

Chicken sweet and sour with noodles.

Chicken casserole

Chessey pasta

Would love more ideas. I love curry and stir fry but they won't eat it. They also hate my risotto dishes. Grrr.

They do now both eat a bit of salad but it's taken me years.

Good luck xx
This is so our family! Cooking for an hour for the kids to say how gross it is ! If it's not beige or from the freezer they won't touch it !
Hidden veg tomato sauce is also my secret weapon !
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 17, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
deeley
Imagineer

Mobile

This is a family favourite too, especially on a work night.

We've adapted it to make our own version, substituting the mustard for slices of apple so it's a sweeter apple and pork dish. Divine. Serve with crusty bread to get every drop of juices up!
nigella/recipes/mustard-pork-chops
Back to NYC Dec 22
deeley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 17, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

My ex husband was a chef so when we separated I needed to learn how to cook and fast! My best ever buy was the Good Food Easy Cook magazine that gives you loads of recipes that are mostly from scratch but with the odd cheat that makes cooking quicker to help you along the way
One of the recipes from that magazine that I still do now is sausage risotto. Could be substituted for any other cooked meat
Dry fry 6-8 sausages then set aside. Add chopped onions and fry until soft, add 300g Arborio rice fry for 2 mins. Add a litre of veg stock and a tub of Dolmio Sun dried tomato stir in sauce. Simmer on low for 20 mins or until rice is cooked and sauce thickened. Chop sausages and add back into rice mixture. Heap in a bowl and serve!
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 17, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
deeley
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
My ex husband was a chef so when we separated I needed to learn how to cook and fast! My best ever buy was the Good Food Easy Cook magazine that gives you loads of recipes that are mostly from scratch but with the odd cheat that makes cooking quicker to help you along the way
One of the recipes from that magazine that I still do now is sausage risotto. Could be substituted for any other cooked meat
Dry fry 6-8 sausages then set aside. Add chopped onions and fry until soft, add 300g Arborio rice fry for 2 mins. Add a litre of veg stock and a tub of Dolmio Sun dried tomato stir in sauce. Simmer on low for 20 mins or until rice is cooked and sauce thickened. Chop sausages and add back into rice mixture. Heap in a bowl and serve!
Mmmmmmmmmmm that's going on my list!
Back to NYC Dec 22
Old 14 Apr 17, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by deeley View Post
Mmmmmmmmmmm that's going on my list!
It's so good you won't regret it! Even DD14 who is just about the fussiest madam ever will leave a clean bowl
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 17, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

We have a teenage who decided he is now a pescetarian. Our six year old is rather fuzzy and prefer beige food and nothing spicy.

Sometimes I just ignore this and cook what I want - they are not going to starve by having sandwiches one meal or nothing at all...

Today we had grilled steak and a hot potato salad with asparagus, olives and spinach tossed in a mustard vinagraitte. My children nearly fell off their chairs 😃

Old 14 Apr 17, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Our family favourites include:
Pasta bolognaise
Goan fish curry
Fajitas
Pulled pork wraps with salad and spicy rice
Cajun salmon fillets with salad and rice
Beef stroganoff
Chilli con carne with rice and nachos
Homemade pizzas
Sesame pork with new potatoes and green beans
Cod and lemon wrapped in prosciutto with baby roasted potatoes and veg
Coq au vin/beef in red wine with roast potatoes and veg
Homemade meatballs and pasta
Chicken curry

I love cooking and everything we eat is made from scratch. I use my slow cooker A LOT as we are normally home late from sports on an evening.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 17, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
thebig40
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
I'm getting fed up with making & eating the same food over & over again so I'm hoping that people might be willing to share their family friendly recipes.

We are a family of 2 adults, 1 x 5 year old (plus a 5 week old). The 5 year old can be rather fussy.

Does anyone have any recipes that are a hit with their young children (but that the rest of the family also enjoy!).

Thanks in advance
My 10 year old is fussy so I can sympathise!

Kedgeree, roast chicken and jacket potatoes, enchiladas, burritos, soft tacos, shepherds pie/cottage pie, lasagne, meatballs and pasta, pasta pesto, chicken breast burger, homemade chicken goujons and wedges, curry, jambalaya, fajitas, chilli con carne, toad in the hole, bangers and mash, pork chops...

I found get my fussy one to help inspires him to eat it!
thebig40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List