Notices

Old 8 Sep 17, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
soarin5505
Trying for More Ears

soarin5505's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Update #2 Rescheduled due to Irma!

So today (8/9/17) we were due to fly to Orlando for our 1 week trip.

I rang Thomson on 7/9/17 in the morning asking what options we had as other tour operators and airlines were offering amendments or cancellations free of penalty. They said the flight was still going ahead they were monitoring the situation. My options at 9:30 were:

1) Fly as planned
2) Cancel and lose everything

I wasn't happy. At this point I was planning on taking food in our suitcase so we would have something and buying water at Manchester airport once we were airside so that we would have some at least, as supplies of water, food and petrol in Orlando were dwindling.

I was at the hospital in the afternoon having physio on my shoulder. I came out to 4 texts from Steph. Thomson had updated their policy and were now letting customer travelling to Orlando to amend their booking. They were offering £25pp discount to swap but had to be to Florida. I rang immediately and was on hold for 20 minutes. Once I got through they checked alternative dates for September, October and November. These were the only months we could do due to Steph's holiday entitlement. Out of all of that they only had 1 date for Manchester and that was 28th September.

They originally gave me one option to begin with, a suite at All star music (all standard rooms were booked) for £1400 more I eventually got them to check what other hotels they had available. My options were:

1) All star Sports standard room for £800 extra
2) Lion King suite at Art of Animation for £850

So... Hello Lion King suite!

It feels fairly ridiculous as it is just for me and Steph and it has more beds and bathrooms than our house but seemed a better option that All Star Sports for a fraction more. After the stress of Irma and my shoulder, I think we deserve it too.

So there goes my "bargain" week away in Orlando after forking out an extra £850 but the one benefit it gives us, which is totally unique to us, is that I know have 3 more weeks for my shoulder to heal! So that means:

1) No walking around in a sling
2) Less pain
3) I can drive
4) I can do waterparks (maybe not all slides) and mini golf
5) I will be able to do more rides

We worked out that if we had gone ahead with our original holiday then we may be facing about 50% of our days in out room and just about squeezing in our park days. Our plans can now go ahead as normal.

We have had to rearrange our Fastpasses and our ADRs. We have lost our 7DMT fastpasses and our Be Our Guest ADRs. We did manage to get a Fantasmic dinner package again at Mama Melrose though.

We are just happy to be going. Hopefully all those out there will be safe and this turns out to be a lot of worry over nothing.

Edited at 10:28 AM.
soarin5505 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List