Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 6 Sep 17, 02:59 AM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 19
CA - Possibly, Maybe, Now Definitely! Day 5 Shopping, Venice Canals (but no Gondalas), More Shopping

Day 5: Shopping, Venice Canals (but no Gondalas) and More Shopping...

Trip Index here.

As you may guess from the title, not my favourite day!

Incidentally, you may be thinking what happened to the storm that was forecasted yesterday? Well, it hit around 03:00 waking me up as the rain was bouncing off the decking and the glass panels surrounding the terrace!

Several sleepless hours later, the local news was switched on, and fortunately it looked as if we had escaped any serious flooding, but the forecast for the day was overcast with a chance of more thunder and showers.

So with this good news, I asked the ladies if they wanted to try the shopping facilities at Santa Monica Place, a short stroll from the famous Santa Monica Pier. Need not have asked - you can guess the answer.

10:00 set off, and found the parking really easy in one of the adjacent parking garages... and a bargain as the first 90 minutes were free.

Visited Bloomingdales first where the Clinique counter was the first port of call. Joanne and Alex each made a purchase which qualified them for a free gift. Whilst chatting with the assistant, we found out she had lived in Harrow for some 10 years, and she then added a few free extras (on top of the other free gifts) as a "Labor Day" gift!

We then had a stroll down to the pier, which given that it was Labor Day was absolutely heaving, and enjoyed lunch at that well known restaurants, McDs!

Whilst in McDs, having bought some hot dogs for a lunch on another day, we cheekily asked our server for a few more ketchup so (to save on buying a bottle to use once! ) and we came away with a dozen or more sachets!

As It was heating up now with the cloud cover burning off, we decided to head back to the resort. Parking cost us the grand total of $1.25, and the garage was noticeably fuller than when we arrived earlier.

Alex having decided she was shopped out, Joanne and myself went for a stroll along the Venice Canals which were only a few minutes from our accommodation. Even though these were only a couple of blocks from the seafront, they were an oasis of peace and tranquility, although no Gondalas for hire - I suspect we will have to leave that until we arrive in Vegas!

After our canalside stroll, we returned to collect Alex for a more restful time by the pool. It was still warm but with a pleasant breeze, and we managed a good few hours catching the sun and swimming.

Fast forward to evening, and instalment 2 of shopping! We were off to Westfield Mall at Culver City, only a few miles away, as they have a Hollister there, but more importantly, an Olive Garden.

Salvation on the very right-hand side!

Arriving around 18:30, we had planned to put our name on the wait list at OG then have a wander around the mall, but with only 15-20 minute wait advised, we just had the opportunity to visit Sephora where Alex bought a gift for her mate, back to OG and our buzzer going off within a few minutes of our arrival.

Our server was good, but did seem to be pushing extras all the time we were ordering. We stuck to our guns and had the Tuscan and Gnocchi & Chicken soups with a salad, followed by the breadsticks. When our server came to clear our plates, something must have got lost in the English-American translation as she shortly returned with another two soups and portion of breadsticks! Much as we would have liked the soup, we couldn't have managed the additional servings so we had to decline them.

Mains arrived - Lobster Ravioli for Alex, Shrimp Alfredo for Jo, and the Steak Gorgonzola with Futtucine for myself. We all made a valiant effort at finishing, but none of us cleared our plates. Our bill came to $76 + tip, so a bit cheaper than our Cheescake Factory visit a few nights ago.

We all then waddled back to Hollister for some more shopping, and much to my relief, it was declared that all shopping had been completed so we could return to base.

Again, another fairly boring night, as we didn't arrive back until around 21:00 so it was on with the TV where we found the latest UK X Factor showing amongst the hundreds of channels, so we settled in to watch this, without falling asleep this time.

As we said last year, and Alex endorsed after many years of training, it's tiring doing nothing!
2024 The Retirement Roadshow – Part 2:Alaska, 2023 4th Time lucky - Aus & NZ, 2022 Cruising and Tuscany, 2020 A second unexpected staycation - Budapest to West Wales!, 2019 It’s Disney... but not as we know it!,2017 CA Possibly, Maybe, Definitely..,2016 Economy and a Studio Just Isn't Good Enough!
tonymc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 17, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Good to get all that shopping out of the way

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 17, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Good to get all that shopping out of the way
Just the minor problem of Premium Outlets in Vegas now
2024 The Retirement Roadshow – Part 2:Alaska, 2023 4th Time lucky - Aus & NZ, 2022 Cruising and Tuscany, 2020 A second unexpected staycation - Budapest to West Wales!, 2019 It’s Disney... but not as we know it!,2017 CA Possibly, Maybe, Definitely..,2016 Economy and a Studio Just Isn't Good Enough!
tonymc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 17, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tonymc View Post
Just the minor problem of Premium Outlets in Vegas now
Which one - or both

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 17, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Shopping all done! I don't believe you! The canals look lovely, much nicer than the beach area!
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 17, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Well I can't let Martin read this trippie - he'd be most jealous at you having spent hours by a pool. He's taken great delight in telling people that he only spent two separate hours by a pool all holiday.

He wouldn't be jealous of you having to go shopping though!
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 17, 12:56 AM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Originally Posted by Pussycat Doll View Post
Shopping all done! I don't believe you! !
Originally Posted by jocat View Post
He wouldn't be jealous of you having to go shopping though!
Of course, I did happen to mention that as the cases were full to bursting for the car journey to Vegas, we wouldn't have any spare room for new purchases as we are flying back to San Francisco on Monday!

This was counteracted by the comment we'll find a suitcase shop then - may have been a mistake having told Jo that we have two checked bags each allowance on both SouthWest and our homeward flight on VA!
Old 9 Sep 17, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Mobile

Another enjoyable day. You can never do enough shopping! There's always room for more!

I had the Lobster ravioli at OG a couple of weeks ago but it was extremely salty. Did Alex find this with hers? My ds and I both had it and were really disappointed.
Glee Fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 17, 03:02 AM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
No problem with the Lobster Ravioli - she managed to eat it all!
Old 3 Apr 18, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
summersun
Imagineer

summersun's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
great day x
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...=gonna+get+wed
our dreams can come true pre trip report nov 14 cbbr nov 14
summersun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List