Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 7 Sep 17, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

Adventures in Public Transport:The Return - Day Five - Coronado & Balbao Park

We got up this morning around 7am although I had been restless since 5am ish. I think it was just to excited of a new place to explore that woke me as the beds were really comfy. We started to get ready for the day but after hearing the baseball game last night the boys were expressing interest in going. I had looked at tickets before we left home but DS is not usually the sporty type so didn’t get any in the end but as he was interested I decided to go online and pick up some tickets for a game in a few nights time for just $17 per person. We munched on some of the left over orange chicken from the night before to keep us going before heading out along the waterfront to the Coronado Ferry dock. It was just a few minutes walk from the hotel and one pulled up just as we got there. We quickly purchased tickets from the vending ($4.50 pp) and headed on board. The weather was pretty overcast and humid this morning but still warm enough not to require hoodies so headed for the top dock to enjoy the views.

It’s a short journey over so before we knew it we were arrive at the Coronado Ferry landing. This was a lovely little areas with some small shops and a few eateries. You also get a great view of the downtown skyline. We had plans for late breakfast at Clayton so headed to the bus stop on the other side of the shops to take the free shuttle that would take us to the other side of the island.

Again we were lucky that this pulled up straight away and just a few minutes later we were getting off in the little town part of Coronado. There were lots of lovely shops and buildings around so we wandered for a bit before located Clayton’s Coffee Shop. I found this place whilst searching google maps one day. It’s a 50’s original as far as I can gather with counter seating and little booths with jukeboxes at the tables. The waitresses all had these lovely little pennies and the waiters had bow ties. There was a short wait for a table but this place had such a great vibe we didn’t mind. After about 15 minutes or so wait a table was ready for us. We orders fresh orange juice and coffees along with are mains. I had the veggie scramble with hash potatoes and it was delicious. Hubby is also impressed when people can fill his coffee cup quick than he can drink it and this place got top marks. Total bill for all of us including tip was $49.19 plus tip.

Completely stuff we left the coffee shop and headed down towards the beach to the Hotel Del Coronado. Now the Hotel Del was somewhere I had wanted to see for a long time. My Husband and I stayed at Grand Floridian in WDW when we got married and I knew this was the inspiration for that hotel. When we got there I was sorry to say I was disappointed. I don’t know if it was just because it was still overcast at this point but the whole place looked like it needed a good paint. Also lot of the grounds were covered in tables and chairs for an event and the beach was close off for what we assume was the same event. We walked around for a few minutes but in the end we decided to had on back into the town. Sorry Hotel Del; I promise thats the only thing i’ll be negative about in San Diego.

We caught the Shuttle bus back opposite the Hotel Del and got off back at the ferry landings. We had a look at some of the shops. Picking up a few little gift bits. From here we headed to our next port of call which was Balbao Park. We ordered an Uber as we knew this was the quickest way and even though we were over at Coronado we still only waiting 6 mins for one to arrive. The journey to Balbao Park took 8 mins (Cost $8.46). The driver dropped us off right at Plaza Del Panama which was perfect for where we needed.

I loved Balbao Park from the minute we arrived. All the lovely architecture and beautiful planting made for a great afternoon. I love gardening so you’ll see a bit of a theme going on with what we saw. DS was happy as there were lots of pokemon and free wifi to keep him happy along the way. We visited the Botanical building and lily pond first. Then made our way over to the Alcazar garden and the outside of the Museum of Man with its towers. We waited for the 3 o’clock chimes (not real bells but still good) but then released they only play a special tune at noon. We then past through the Casa de Rey Moro Garden spotting our first humming birds along the way.

From here we headed off towards the Rose Gardens and Cactus Gardens before grabbing a drink from the cafe at the science museum and a couple of items for a picnic tea later. By now it was approaching 5 pm and the sun had broken through. We knew there was going to be a free concert on at the Speckles Organ at 6pm so we slowly headed back towards that way with a quick diversion to the Spanish Art Village. Sadly most of the shops had already closed but it was still a pretty spot to see.

We choose some seats to wait for it to start. It was fun people watching while we waited. There was everything from people having wedding and family photo taken near the pillared walkway to a residence home having a birthday get together. By the time the concert started there were loads of people there. Some had brought along drinks and snacks to enjoyed the concert with, it was such a lovely atmosphere.

The band playing were the Navy Brass band (Yes actual navy men in their white uniforms!). It was all New Orleans style and they did everything from When the Saints Go Marching In to Ariana Grande’s Problem. We ate the bits we had brought earlier while we watched. It was a really great set but the temperature really dropped off as the sun set so we decided to head off just before the end. We made the short walk back to the Plaza and ordered an uber from there.

Again we didn’t need to wait more than a few minutes before one turned up. 11 minutes later we were back at the hotel. The men put on the baseball on the TV so they could brush up on the rules and I tried to catch up on some trip notes before going to sleep. It had been a really great day and we were loving San Diego.

Edited at 04:01 PM.
Disney Wishing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 17, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Ahh - you are making me excited!

As it is 30 years since I have been to WDW I have never seen the GF so I think we may skip Coronado (though the cafe sounds lovely) but Balbao Park is definitely on the list - it looks like a great place to visit (though the flowers in December may not be as pretty! )

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 17, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Ahh - you are making me excited!

As it is 30 years since I have been to WDW I have never seen the GF so I think we may skip Coronado (though the cafe sounds lovely) but Balbao Park is definitely on the list - it looks like a great place to visit (though the flowers in December may not be as pretty! )
Although I wasn't impressed with the Del I know other people like it so it might just be me. Coronado itself is still a lovely little place and if you get a nice day the views back to Downtown from the ferry landing area make it worth it.

There is also 17 museums in Balbao if the flowers are not good. We just did't have time for any!

Edited at 08:44 PM.
Disney Wishing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 17, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Sounds perfect! It's about time we revisited San Diego, it's been too long!
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 17, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Mobile

What a lovely way to end your day listening to the band.
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List