Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Sep 17, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
[QUOTE=stupet11;12832798]
Originally Posted by Posiesmum View Post
My point re: consequences, was more about the system. If papers are 1 mark out, aren't they double checked anyway? Esp if a student is due the higher grade - although appreciate examiner might not have that info - but point is, surely close calls will / should have been double checked making this whole thing 'academic'...
Examiners don't have that information. Nor do they usually mark everything required for a certain subject, so different examiners will mark each paper (in the case of GCSE's often different markers will mark different questions even). Thus they have little idea about overall grade.

The quality assurance process is fairly rigorous but based on sampling rather than every paper being checked. It's a huge undertaking for the exam boards and for some subjects that don't have right or wrong answers there is still some subjectivity.

I have been involved in A level marking in my subject which is essay based. Every year there was moderation to standardise marking, then a sample was checked by a senior examiner before I was cleared to mark. I then sent off at least 1 more big sample and at the end of the process I received an overall grade. Even with all that I am sure there will have been occasions I got it wrong and marks would have been altered on a remark.
Old 12 Sep 17, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
nasty
Imagineer

How does the remarking system work?

Do the school's get a copy of the exam papers and mark it themselves then if they think some marks are missed/incorrect they request the remark?

I'm still waiting on a call back from school (hopefully this will be tomorrow as he's not called today) regarding my son's English Language papers.
nasty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Mobile

[QUOTE=Twin mummy;12832908]
Originally Posted by stupet11 View Post
Examiners don't have that information. Nor do they usually mark everything required for a certain subject, so different examiners will mark each paper (in the case of GCSE's often different markers will mark different questions even). Thus they have little idea about overall grade.

The quality assurance process is fairly rigorous but based on sampling rather than every paper being checked. It's a huge undertaking for the exam boards and for some subjects that don't have right or wrong answers there is still some subjectivity.

I have been involved in A level marking in my subject which is essay based. Every year there was moderation to standardise marking, then a sample was checked by a senior examiner before I was cleared to mark. I then sent off at least 1 more big sample and at the end of the process I received an overall grade. Even with all that I am sure there will have been occasions I got it wrong and marks would have been altered on a remark.
Appreciate its a tough job... Which has makes me think there is a system problem (as in most public services... I work in education!) as having 6 papers to pay to have to remark can't be right. It's a hit for us...but some families won't be able to afford this, and that is plain wrong.
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Just trying to work out if this is normal...

My son has just gone into 6th form, scrapped the results he has needed.

But over the past week we have had calls / emails from the school.

1st, Maths teacher said he was one mark short did we want to have it remarked...he was earmarked for the grade above and we had paid for tutor...so yes, oh, btw it's £35...which we get back IF it's upgraded.

Then Science, same thing.

Today German same thing.

All 1 mark from being upgraded. All cost us £35 (4 papers in all).

Sounds very suspicious... and how can we not pay for our kids future...guilt trip!

If they are all upgraded, is their a consequence for the markers...or do we go through it again with my daughter in 2 years...!

Doesn't seem right to me...
why did you want them re-marked at all if your son got the grades he needed to take the 6th form courses he wanted to take? Seems like a lot of extra hassle for nothing (not to mention being asked to pay for the privilege).
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by sammykitten View Post
why did you want them re-marked at all if your son got the grades he needed to take the 6th form courses he wanted to take? Seems like a lot of extra hassle for nothing (not to mention being asked to pay for the privilege).
Uni will look at grades too later in life... Big difference between different days depending and c
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
nasty
Imagineer

Uni will look at grades too later in life... Big difference between different days depending and c
Yes that's why we're having the remarks too.

My son wants to study medicine at uni and his GCSE grades are pivitol (as well as his A level grades of course) to which university's he can apply to. For him a 8 to a 9 or A to A* could have a huge influence as its so competitive.

Edited at 05:39 PM.
nasty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

but realistically if your son's science and maths are both regraded and he gets a C pass instead of a D pass, is that going to make the difference between him getting onto the Uni course at the Uni he wants, or not?

(I have no idea by the way, just asking the question - as to be honest, I would have thought his A-level results would carry far more weight than getting a C or D at GCSE).
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Originally Posted by nasty View Post
Yes that's why we're having the remarks too.

My son wants to study medicine at uni and his GCSE grades are pivitol (as well as his A level grades of course) to which university's he can apply to. For him a 8 to a 9 or A to A* could have huge consequences as its so competitive.
that I completely understand, I'm just not sure thats the case with a lot of other non-science based degrees.
Old 12 Sep 17, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by sammykitten View Post
but realistically if your son's science and maths are both regraded and he gets a C pass instead of a D pass, is that going to make the difference between him getting onto the Uni course at the Uni he wants, or not?

(I have no idea by the way, just asking the question - as to be honest, I would have thought his A-level results would carry far more weight than getting a C or D at GCSE).
I believe so... That uni would not look at d grades. Could be wrong...

Poor info, communication for us parents on the actual consequences
Old 12 Sep 17, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

I can see the relevance of an A to A* at GCSE if aiming for Medicine, Vet Science or Law. But a candidate going from D to C is unlikely to be applying for this sort of course so I wouldn't recommend a review.
The papers are sent to a more senior examiner who will look at the whole thing. With online marking we now still have Standardisation meetings and batch samples as a pp has said. But principal examiners and team leaders will also blind sample a further percentage as the examiner is marking. Aberrant marks can get through, but it's rare that a senior wouldn't spot it.

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List